Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resetting sold Model 3 question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sold my 2021 Model 3 to a dealer after purchasing a 2022 Model S. Prior to selling the car I deleted my phone as a key, my home and work addresses, the name I had given the car, and all navigation destinations. When I go to remove the car from my account it says to do a full factory reset to remove all personal settings. Dealer already has the car and to do the reset I would need to go back to put account info in the car. Is there any real need to do the factory reset based on everything I deleted? My credit card info is tied to the account, correct? So once I remove the car from the account there is no need to worry about charges from it?
Thanks!

I sold my 2021 Model 3 to a dealer after purchasing a 2022 Model S. Prior to selling the car I deleted my phone as a key, my home and work addresses, the name I had given the car, and all navigation destinations. When I go to remove the car from my account it says to do a full factory reset to remove all personal settings. Dealer already has the car and to do the reset I would need to go back to put account info in the car. Is there any real need to do the factory reset based on everything I deleted? My credit card info is tied to the account, correct? So once I remove the car from the account there is no need to worry about charges from it?
Thanks!

I believe you you wont be able to do a factory reset even if you added the car to your online account. That was supposed to be done in the car itself.

Its kind of like factory resetting a phone before you trade it in / sell it / get rid of it. Nothing you can do about it now though I dont think. If you remove the car from your online account, hopefully the next owner can factory reset it. There could still be personal data in there from you like any in car app you logged into, homelink programming, etc.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Yes, can not do factory reset except in car. I can go back to the dealer and do it, just a bit of a drive. I am trying to decide if there is really any need to go back to dealer and do reset. I deleted all of my personal data such as destinations, home address, home link, my name of the car. I just did not do the full reset. My only concern is if a full reset is necessary to remove my credit card info. My understanding is that credit card info is only in account and once I remove car from account it will be gone and do not need to worry. So, should I just go ahead and remove the car from my account, or should I travel to the dealer and do a factory reset before removing it from my account?

Yes, can not do factory reset except in car. I can go back to the dealer and do it, just a bit of a drive. I am trying to decide if there is really any need to go back to dealer and do reset. I deleted all of my personal data such as destinations, home address, home link, my name of the car. I just did not do the full reset. My only concern is if a full reset is necessary to remove my credit card info. My understanding is that credit card info is only in account and once I remove car from account it will be gone and do not need to worry. So, should I just go ahead and remove the car from my account, or should I travel to the dealer and do a factory reset before removing it from my account?

I "think" (but dont know, I am not a tesla insider, nor is TMC affiliated with tesla in any way for me to find out) that removing the car from your account would prevent someone from supercharging that car and billing to your account. With that being said, everyones tolerance for their personal data being out there is different, and I dont think the things you removed constitute all your personal data on that vehicle:

Perhaps read that article then make a determination on whether any of that matters to you.

Reactions: Carolina Karl