Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reseving for a friend on Mach 31?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for anyone who reserved on the S or X reveal? I am going to the event on the 31st to reserve a car for myself. A dear friend who will be out of the country at that time, just gave me $1,000 to put in a reservation for her too. Can I do that? What's the process? Just planning ahead.

I called Santa Barbara Tesla store. I will be out of the country omn March 31, but I want my son to order one for me, one for my wife, and one for himself. The fellow on the phone told me that my son will be able to do that and that he was not sure if my son even had to put one in each of our names or whether that would be parsed out later.

I sent an email two weeks ago to the Santa Barbara store asking if I could drop by a check or CC authorization on my way to LAX to reserve my spot. I'll be in Japan March 31, no response yet. If anyone gets a definitive answer on proxy reservations, please share.

It seems like Santa Barbara store is very busy right now. I also sent them email (to Michael) but no response yet. I called a few days later and he told me his getting so many model 3 related emails that his email account is labeling some as spam. Better call him I think.
I sent an email two weeks ago to the Santa Barbara store asking if I could drop by a check or CC authorization on my way to LAX to reserve my spot. I'll be in Japan March 31, no response yet. If anyone gets a definitive answer on proxy reservations, please share.

It seems like Santa Barbara store is very busy right now. I also sent them email (to Michael) but no response yet. I called a few days later and he told me his getting so many model 3 related emails that his email account is labeling some as spam. Better call him I think.
OK, just got off the phone with Brian at Santa Barbara. Michael is off today, Sunday. Brian says that they really do not know at this time the rules of the deposits. That makes sense to me. I think we will be better served to be patient and ask again in mid March.

Thank you for the additional info Gene. I sent my email to Dan. We leave the 19th so it'd be pretty early for them having the full details. I will be near the Osaka store March 31 but I don't see that as a viable option. My guesstimate is the difference between a live verses online reservation will amount to an additional six month wait to actually take delivery. I suppose everyone reading this post has similar concerns.

I have a consistent answer from my local DS AND NASales: YES..They agreed:

It has NOT been determined absolutely BUT...AT THIS TIME.....You may make multiple reservations for other people. You must have their name, address and email address. The email address is essential as that is how TM references reservations through their site. I believe you will be able to make the deposit with a CC (like X and S) but I intend on bringing regular checks just in case. I would be surprised (but I don't know for a fact) if TM required a certified check or money order.

I intend to make 5-6 reservations that day.

Aargh.....did we even discuss the fact that east coast stores open 3 hours ahead of the west? And if one decides online is the only possible way to make a reservation, is that 12:01 AM east coast or west coast?

I spoke to the folks at the Dallas gallery today on this very point and they said they weren't sure what time they'd begin accepting reservations on the 31st. He observed that the time difference between CA and the galleries, coupled with the specific timing of the announcement, might require that the galleries begin accepting reservations later in the day, as opposed to at store opening. He also said he expected that the exact details would be made clearer as the 31st approaches.

Majority of people are planning at least Two reservations on March 31st and plans for line up's are being made. I would take certified cheque or a Cheque signed by the person for whom you are reserving , with a copy of their driver's license as proof of age & address and their email address. These reservations are not transferable and all communication will be by email only. you can nominate a second person but the car will be billed in the primary reservation holder's name only. As it is a long wait to production, cheques will be accepted IMHO.

I just visited the store in Manhasset, NY store with my brother. I will be out of the country on March 31, and further more, I'll be in China in a second tier city with terrible internet. The saleswoman at the store made it sounds like it would not be a problem at all to have someone make the reservation on my behalf, as long as I gave him my cc details. I am a bit skeptical (but encouraged). If anyone gets a definaitive answer from Tesla HQ, I'd love to hear it. I'd suspect this issue won't be cleared up until a few days before March 31.

Another issue, how is gonna work for anyone (in person or proxy) to make a deposit on March 31, esp. in the Eastern Daylight Savings time zone if the unveil is after the time most East Coast stores are closed.

I just visited the store in Manhasset, NY store with my brother. I will be out of the country on March 31, and further more, I'll be in China in a second tier city with terrible internet. The saleswoman at the store made it sounds like it would not be a problem at all to have someone make the reservation on my behalf, as long as I gave him my cc details. I am a bit skeptical (but encouraged). If anyone gets a definaitive answer from Tesla HQ, I'd love to hear it. I'd suspect this issue won't be cleared up until a few days before March 31.

Another issue, how is gonna work for anyone (in person or proxy) to make a deposit on March 31, esp. in the Eastern Daylight Savings time zone if the unveil is after the time most East Coast stores are closed.

Upthread I mentioned that I had been told by NASales (Fremont) and my local store sales manager that you can make a reservation for other people. You need all contact info, their email address and the $1K deposit and you should be good. They both indicated that is what is the policy NOW....Like most things TM..subject to change.

If we can place orders for other family members, I will likely be placing an order for my dad's also. He does know if he will be in the States that day yet. And his nearest dealer is in Marin. I assume the Marin store will be swamped that day. I will be reserving in Rocklin since it's a bit closer to Vacaville.