Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Residential J1772 Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that this thread was seeing lots of action, but I don't think it should have been moved. The point was to get a list of J1772 residential EVSEs that have been confirmed to work or not work with the MS.

E.g. I would NEVER have known that the Leaf EVSE wouldn't work for the MS. And consequently could have been screwed for a while since I was going to rely on that for a few months to charge. Knowing that,I'm accelerating my purchase of another EVSE.

So, I think it does belong specifically in the Model S charging sub forum.

Twin chargers can take 80 A max. If you want more, such as 96 A, then it is time to start a "open DC charger" project using the J1772-DC protocol.

GSP

Not to mention J1772 AC spec is max 80A anyway (96% duty cycle on the pilot signal, with anything greater regarded as an error).

Regarding the Model S it would seem somehow inappropriate to call it an UPGRADE if it is simply modifying a 15 amp charger from 120 volts to 240 volts, still at 15 amps! The MINIMUM EVSE for the S would be around 7 KW which gives a full recharge in ~9 hours. Anything less becomes *painfully slow* and likely to impinge on the usefulness of owning a Model S.
--

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I just picked up my car over the weekend and am plugged into our 30 amp EVSE (for our Chev Volt) at work.

Everything is working, light is green etc., but I'm only charging at 15 amps. Any ideas why this might be?

98C2404E-09DC-4EF6-AB5F-EC91B74908F0.PNG

Is this a Volt specific charger? If so since the Volt charges at 15 amps they may have limited the pilot signal. I believe the first generation Volts and Leafs only had a 3.3 kw charger.

I was going to take a picture, but it's pouring rain right now. The Volt is a 2012 model year, and the EVSE is whatever the dealer and/or Chev recommended. I do know it's connected to a 30 amp breaker.

You may be right about it having a fixed limit, but 15 amps continuous (16 amps, actually) could be supplied from a 20 amp breaker. I'll have to take a closer look when the weather clears up a bit.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I just picked up my car over the weekend and am plugged into our 30 amp EVSE (for our Chev Volt) at work.

Everything is working, light is green etc., but I'm only charging at 15 amps. Any ideas why this might be?

Did you check to make sure your charge current wasn't limited in the charging screen?

I've seen 16A pop up on EVSE's that were limited, but never 15A (it would make for a weird circuit size considering continuous loads).

Is this a Volt specific charger? If so since the Volt charges at 15 amps they may have limited the pilot signal. I believe the first generation Volts and Leafs only had a 3.3 kw charger.

Volt uses a Level 2 charger. 240V. Volt SPX units do charging at 240 volts – 16 amps. SPX unit also supports charging up to 240volt at 30 amps, but no use for a Volt which is limited to 16 amps. Hope this helps.

Did you check to make sure your charge current wasn't limited in the charging screen?

I've seen 16A pop up on EVSE's that were limited, but never 15A (it would make for a weird circuit size considering continuous loads).

I'll check next time I try it at work. All I did earlier today was plug it in, verified the green flashing light and then ran in from the rain. I noticed the 15 of 15 amps thing on my iPhone in my office.

I built a 75A OpenEVSE, and bought an "extra" J-1772 to Tesla adapter, I use it everyday to charge my dual charger Model S
Unfortunately Leviton no longer sells the 75A J-1772 cables, so the cost to build one has gone up now, about $730 or so.
The advantage is, you can charge a Toyota RAV4EV at full capacity (9.6KW), a Model S at 18KW, or any other lower current EV such as a Leaf, Volt, PiP etc
http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/75AOpenEVSE

Have any of you guys tried the Schneider EVLink (the home wall mount Schneider - EV Link (Wall) | Plug n Drive) on a model S with J1772 adapter?

Thanks

I would be concerned about continuous use that you might need with the Model S. They only built it for several hours of use per day! From their brochure:

Schneider - EV Link (Wall)

Schneider Electric’s indoor electric vehicle (EV) charging solution should be mounted indoors by a licensed electrical contractor. Our EV charging stations are specifically designed to withstand several hours of use on a daily basis. Advanced versions feature intelligent communication and smart-grid integration options.

I would be concerned about continuous use that you might need with the Model S. They only built it for several hours of use per day! From their brochure:
Sorry, no specific experience with this station. BT I don't see any reason why it wouldn't based on spec.

Lloyd, I'm confused by your comment. The quoted part of the description is a feature, not a limit. And honestly, 'several' can mean say 10 hours. And that's more than it would take for anything other than a full range charge for an 85 with 7.2kW.