Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Residential Wind Power and Powerwall 2 integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a Powerwall 2 being fed by Skystream 3.7 (or any other) wind turbines as part of their own residential renewable energy system? We have a combination of wind turbines and solar PV with microinverters as part of our system.

20160128_131813.jpg
20160128_132403.jpg

I don't see any problem as long as the wind turbines are grid tied and you can pass the circuits through the CTs the same way as the solar circuits so that the Gateway can measure the production. The turbines would also need to shut down or curtail when the micro-grid frequency shifts away from 60Hz.

Reactions: Jason Bloomberg
I understand that in theory it should all work together. I'm trying to see if anyone else has actually done it because sometimes things don't work out as they theoretically should.

We have all of our solar PV and wind combined to a single 200 AMP breaker box with a manual master cut out which goes between the meter and the automatic transfer switch for our back up generator.

Attachments

• 20181228_123814.jpg
    20181228_123814.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 474
I don't see any problem as long as the wind turbines are grid tied and you can pass the circuits through the CTs the same way as the solar circuits so that the Gateway can measure the production. The turbines would also need to shut down or curtail when the micro-grid frequency shifts away from 60Hz.

Agreed. The Skystream 3.7 specs only list UL 6142 Compliance. Assuming Skystream is connected to an UL 1741 compliant grid tied inverter, then it can unofficially work.

I think it is possible in the future for formal support, but Tesla currently does not formally accept wind as their app and system is not set up for it. Likely it is a lot of work to support 0.1%-1.0% of potential installations and regulatory restrictions.

Reactions: Jason Bloomberg
I realize that residential wind power is a very small part of the market compared to solar PV. For us, here in Wyoming, our wind turbines get us through winter months in ways solar PV can't with our all electric home and 3 EVs, and a net metering limit of 25 rated kW without being classified and taxed as a small scale utility instead of residential renewable energy.

We have total of 9.8 rated kW of wind power and 8 rated kW of solar PV.

While it would be elegant to be able to integrate the 22kW Generac back up generator into the Powerwall 2 system, it is our lowest priority at this point.

I appreciate the insights shared thus far. I'm still hoping to find someone else who has integrated wind power into their system. Thank you all.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Agreed. The Skystream 3.7 specs only list UL 6142 Compliance. Assuming Skystream is connected to an UL 1741 compliant grid tied inverter, then it can unofficially work.

I think it is possible in the future for formal support, but Tesla currently does not formally accept wind as their app and system is not set up for it. Likely it is a lot of work to support 0.1%-1.0% of potential installations and regulatory restrictions.

Skystream have an integrated inverter in the nacelle. The power connection is single phase 240VAC at 60Hz.

The video gives an overview of our solar PV and wind power systems.

A Wattsun dual-axis tracker with 3.96 kW of solar PV installed in 2018,

2 Zomeworks seasonality adjustable passive trackers with 2.01 kW of solar PV on each array installed in 2015,

The wind turbines are on 45' monopolies

Generally, the wind makes more noise than the turbines.

It’s been an unusually breezy spring this year in Los Angeles...

If a grid tied residential turbine like the Skystream 3.7 were connected to a Powerwall like a PV array, would the PW software know the difference?

Likely no. This assumes the wind conductors are installed in tandem with an existing solar conductors though the measuring CT. One would have to accept the solar measurement in the Tesla app includes wind.

The issue is when the Powerwall is full. How does the gateway turn off the wind inverter when in backup mode? If it is UL 1741 SA compliant then no worries. If not, there may be a dangerous load imbalance.

Reactions: Vines

"Skystream was granted UL certification for compliance with standard UL1741 / IEEE1547 after passing a series of tests. "

Source: Southwest Windpower's Skystream 3.7 Gains UL Certification - Renewable Energy World

Likely no. This assumes the wind conductors are installed in tandem with an existing solar conductors though the measuring CT. One would have to accept the solar measurement in the Tesla app includes wind.

The issue is when the Powerwall is full. How does the gateway turn off the wind inverter when in backup mode? If it is UL 1741 SA compliant then no worries. If not, there may be a dangerous load imbalance.

"Skystream was granted UL certification for compliance with standard UL1741 / IEEE1547 after passing a series of tests. "

Southwest Windpower's Skystream 3.7 Gains UL Certification - Renewable Energy World

Southwest Windpower's Skystream 3.7 Gains UL Certification - Renewable Energy World

Article is from 2006. Their spec sheet file/URL path shows a 2019 upload date. Spec sheet does not list UL 1741 compliance. Only UL 6142. I imagine the spec sheet from the manufacturer would govern.
https://www.xzeres.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/7246-Spec-Sheet-Domestic-Skystream-3.7.pdf

Here's an update. We have installed 10 Powerwall 2 units and were able to integrate them into our existing renewable energy system of PV and Skystream 3.7 wind turbines. The back up generator is now a secondary back-up system which will activate if the batteries shut down during a grid power outage. The primary back up is are the Powerwalls. We have a total 135 kWh of usable battery storage. When the grid has an outage all of the renewable energy systems, including the wind turbine keep operating so long as the Powerwalls are not depleted to the point where the back up generator comes on. If the batteries are full during a grid outage and the renewable power is producing more power than needed for the house, the Powerwalls shift the frequency of current from 60Hz to 50Hv causing the PV and wind turbines to shut down. This prevents over-charging the batteries without there being a "dump load".

Here are some pictures of our installed Powerwall 2 system.
20210108_094910.jpg
20201210_152253.jpg
20210108_201207.jpg