Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Residential Wind Power and Powerwall 2 integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to have some wind power but looked into it a few years ago and besides cost you needed an average of at least 6 mph of wind and looking at an average over the year we just do not have that. Would be nice to supplement our winter solar with additional wind power.

I would love to have some wind power but looked into it a few years ago and besides cost you needed an average of at least 6 mph of wind and looking at an average over the year we just do not have that. Would be nice to supplement our winter solar with additional wind power.

We have seasonal shifts between PV and wind being the primary source of power in our system. Our annual average wind speed is reported as 12.4 mph, but at our home, at 45 feet (the height of our turbine monopoles) above ground, is more like 16 mph.

Each Skystream 3.7 turbine is rated at 2.4 kW and is producing about 4,000 kWh per year. We have 4 installed. We also have just under 8 rated kW of solar PV and trackers which produces about 16,000 kWh per year. Combined we produce about 32,000 kWh annually, most of which is used to power our all electric home and 3 EVs.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Each Skystream 3.7 turbine is rated at 2.4 kW and is producing about 4,000 kWh per year. We have 4 installed.
I only discovered this thread today. AWESOME

Jason, I presume you know that residential wind has a pretty terrible reputation for vastly under performing expected production, but your setup seems to be doing OK. I'd love to hear you take on this and when residential wind should be considered

Way to go !!

Here's an update. We have installed 10 Powerwall 2 units and were able to integrate them into our existing renewable energy system of PV and Skystream 3.7 wind turbines. The back up generator is now a secondary back-up system which will activate if the batteries shut down during a grid power outage. The primary back up is are the Powerwalls. We have a total 135 kWh of usable battery storage. When the grid has an outage all of the renewable energy systems, including the wind turbine keep operating so long as the Powerwalls are not depleted to the point where the back up generator comes on. If the batteries are full during a grid outage and the renewable power is producing more power than needed for the house, the Powerwalls shift the frequency of current from 60Hz to 50Hv causing the PV and wind turbines to shut down. This prevents over-charging the batteries without there being a "dump load".

Here are some pictures of our installed Powerwall 2 system. View attachment 626382 View attachment 626384 View attachment 626385

Congrats on the successful installation. Curious if the Tesla app combines (or separates) wind and solar production?

I understand there is a modification to the Tesla app when a generator is installed/active. I wonder if there is a seperate graph for wind?.

Jason, I presume you know that residential wind has a pretty terrible reputation for vastly under performing expected production, but your setup seems to be doing OK. I'd love to hear you take on this and when residential wind should be considered

Way to go !!

I'm not sure where you get your information about residential wind. The numbers I quote are our real world experience since we installed our first two Skystream 3.7 in 2012, and additional two in 2019. Same goes for our PV on trackers installed in 2015 and 2018. I would say that the Skystream 3.7 is about the most resilient residential scale wind turbine I've every come across. My experience with wind power started with our prior home in Chadron, Nebraska which was powered by a 1.8 kW Jacobs built originally in 1948 and rebuilt in 1994. That was an off-grid system. Unfortunately, we lost that house to a forest fire in 2012, but we used that turbine from the late 1980's until the fire.

Congrats on the successful installation. Curious if the Tesla app combines (or separates) wind and solar production?

I understand there is a modification to the Tesla app when a generator is installed/active. I wonder if there is a separate graph for wind?.

Our wind power and solar PV feed a "combiner panel" which connects between the back-up generator and the Tesla Gateway. This permits us to continue to produce renewable power when the grid goes offline (power outage), and if the batteries become depleted for the back up generator to power the house. It is a GENERAC 22 kW. So in the Tesla App, all of our combined renewable energy shows up as "Solar". As far as I know, Tesla does not have any specific support for residential wind power, which is why I started this thread.

We have SENSE (R) monitoring, as well as separate means of monitoring the wind turbines and PV arrays we have installed. While it would be elegant to all of that information consolidated to a single App, there is no method to do that at this time, so we use different methods of monitoring different aspects of the overall system. It's a minor inconvenience which we gladly accept to achieve the functionality we were trying to create.

We have seasonal shifts between PV and wind being the primary source of power in our system. Our annual average wind speed is reported as 12.4 mph, but at our home, at 45 feet (the height of our turbine monopoles) above ground, is more like 16 mph.

Each Skystream 3.7 turbine is rated at 2.4 kW and is producing about 4,000 kWh per year. We have 4 installed. We also have just under 8 rated kW of solar PV and trackers which produces about 16,000 kWh per year. Combined we produce about 32,000 kWh annually, most of which is used to power our all electric home and 3 EVs.
what did the total install of each wind cost

Way to go !!
I don't doubt you, but I do wonder why your setup is working so much better than many others.

I'll add some links later to explain my general skepticism about residential wind.

There is a simple reason why our wind system works, it is correctly sited and installed by a qualified installer. Too often, just like many solar installations, work is done by people and companies who are reaching beyond their actual competence. Our installations have been done by a single local company which has been doing this work since 2008. They stand behind what they install. They actually repair wind turbines in their own shop. They have installed more than 250 in the local Cheyenne, WY area, and more in Northern Colorado. They also have done work to repair or replace orphaned products whose manufactures no longer are in business. Having the same installer do all of grid tied project eliminates any "finger pointing" if something doesn't work correctly. There is no one contractor blaming another's work. I have been involved with the design, installation, and inspection, taking pictures along the way. My background of living with off grid wind and solar PV lets me be engaged on a technical level which differs from someone who is buying a product without that experience. We have worked collaboratively in each installation on our property. The result is a system which has proved to be robust and reliable.

https://www.wycowindandsolar.com/

Before this project began, we already had over 20 years experience with off - grid wind and solar PV residential power. We understand that these are mechanical devices which have moving parts that can and periodically do fail. If you want something which is "plug and play" and will never need service or repair, it doesn't really exist, but solar PV is closer to that then wind power. For our situation, we were working within a limit of 25 rate kW or in Wyoming, we would have to become "a small scale utility." Were it not for that constraint, we could accomplish the same goals just with PV, although it would not seasonally balance our power production to more closely match our usages in summer and winter they way a combined system does. For us to produce enough power for our home an EVs alone by PV only in winter would cause tremendous overproduction in summer. Given how "net metering" works (for now) in Wyoming (which is among the better places for wind power in the United States), our system is designed and implemented in a manner which matches our needs. I'm not making any pronouncements about that being true for anyone else, anywhere else.

Wind power has gotten a bad rap by too many people attempting improper installations. It's similar to people who say "electric cars aren't practical" because they don't understand you can't drain a battery to 10%, leave the car unplugged overnight in -20 degree weather, and expect to drive 100 miles without charging the next morning. Similarly, it's also like people who install roof top solar, where it is shaded a part of the day and are disappointed that their results don't match the manufacturer's claims. I've looked at many articles criticizing residential wind power. Some of them are because of bad products, many of which are imported by "fly by night industries." More are the result of poor siting and/or poor installation.

Please don't bother posting links to articles trashing residential wind power. This thread is not about whether or not you or anyone else should get wind power. It's about that it is possible to connect the type of wind turbines we have to the Powerwall 2. When I started looking at this project, no one was out there who could answer that question. Thank you.

Last edited:
good question. i think the negatives come from the cost, they are priced at way to high of kwh cost.

The costs of solar PV have dramatically dropped since 2012. We started with wind power because our greatest need to offset electricity use is in the winter, when around here daylight is short and winds are abundant. The installed price of the first two turbines was about $23,000, for which there was a 30% tax credit, and an about $9,000 State economic stimulus. While the turbines are rated for 2.4 kW, they actually produce up to 3kW each. Their peak power is at about 27 mph and don't fully cut out until over 60 mph. They have survived winds here, thus far, over 90 mph. In 2015 we installed 4.01 kW on Zomeworks trackers (which are manually seasonally adjusted0 at a cost of ~$27,000 less a 30% federal tax credit. On an annual basis, the wind power and solar power of those two systems produces about 8,000 kWh each (4kWh per turbine, 4kWh per each or the two - 2 rated KW solar PV arrays). In 2018 we added a 3.96 rate PV array on a dual axis for a total installed price of about $25,000. In 2019 we added our last two Skystream 3.7 turbines for about $19,000 each, less a 30% Federal Tax credit. The price of turbines has increased, while PV has decreased. But for us, working within the constraints of Wyoming's net metering law, and trying to balance our seasonal power usage with seasonal production, it was the right choice.

Whether choosing wind power, solar PV, or batteries, there is much "homework" to be done by the potential buyer. Anyone who isn't willing to put the time and effort into that, risks wasting money and being disappointed with the results. For us, we have a system which functions as planned. The addition of the Tesla Powerwall 2 units permits us to store onsite the excess we produce and be less reliant on "the grid." Most importantly to us, it is investing in our values towards cleaner air for everyone.

what did the total install of each wind cost

This system was installed over a period of time from 2012 to the present, so the costs changed over time. The wind turbines ranged between $11,500 - $19,000 each installed depending on location and time of installation. There was a 30% federal tax credit for each of them, the first two also qualified for an approximately $4,500 State disbursement of the 2009 economic stimulus grant for each of the two turbines. The price of installing residential wind power has increased over the years, which the price of solar PV has decreased. For our needs it was and is the correct choice to have a balanced system. That is not true for everyone. Design and installation of any renewable energy system needs to be tailored to the specific needs of each situation.

Please don't bother posting links to articles trashing residential wind power. This thread is not about whether or not you or anyone else should get wind power. It's about that it is possible to connect the type of wind turbines we have to the Powerwall 2. When I started looking at this project, no one was out there who could answer that question. Thank you.
No problem, although you are mischaracterizing my desire to 'trash' residential wind. It is much more a case of wanting to avoid failed installations which is why I find your success interesting.

Your views on why other installations have failed have merit but I doubt they are the entire story. Residential wind is tricky, and until it is better understood I think it is difficult to be confident of success.

/end of tangent

Last edited:
@Jason Bloomberg Great setup! What maintenance is involved with the Skystreams? Pivot poles?

The Skystream turbines are essentially maintenance free. Every couple of years I check to see if the monopoles need leveling. The more true they are, the freer the turbine pivots when wind direction changes. Since 2012, we have had brushes replaced, one inverter board fail, and one yaw bearing fail. Most of the repairs were done under warranty. I have purchased a spare, used, complete turbine, had it rebuilt, and have it on the property in case of a catastrophic failure of any of the ones which are installed.

The Zomeworks passive tracker, seen in the picture with our Signature Red 2012 P85 Model S, sustained damage a couple of years ago from a storm with 90 mph winds. It has been repaired and reinforced. We also added a lock down system which lets me manually tie down the arrays if we know a major storm is coming (sustained winds above 30 mph). It requires seasonal adjustment for the tilt angle, and lubrication of bearing twice a year. It uses no electricity. It tracks the sun by Freon in tubes which shifts the weight side to side as the sun "moves" across the sky throughout the day. Here is a link about Zomeworks: Track Racks – Solar Trackers – Photovoltaic Racks | Zomeworks Corporation

My understanding is the company after over 30 years is no longer actually in business.

No problem, although you are mischaracterizing my desire to 'trash' residential wind. It is much more a case of wanting to avoid failed installations which is why I find your success interesting.

Your views on why other installations have failed have merit but I doubt they are the entire story. Residential wind is tricky, and until it is better understood I think it is difficult to be confident of success.

/end of tangent

Sorry if I misunderstood, but when you preface your comment with pessimism about what on a global scale and in our specific situation is a well functioning technology, it lends itself to being misunderstood. I hope the information I provided answered your question about why our system works when others you are more familiar with have failed.