Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Residuals M3LR vs M3SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course, the fuel for ICE cars are shipped around the world by burning, yes, even more fuel.
We have several power stations converted to burning 'green' wood pellets - imported from the states and shipped by sea. Arguments remain on how eco friendly they really are when even if they are from scrap wood they have to be transported and processed before shipping. Any tree takes a lot longer to grow and resorb the CO2 than it took to cut down. We're also reaching a crunch point in soil - if you don't put back eventually it has no trace nutrients.
Essentially we're doomed unless folk take up my plan to 'mince up granny and spray her on the pasture'...

• Funny
Reactions: Alwayshopeful
We have several power stations converted to burning 'green' wood pellets - imported from the states and shipped by sea. Arguments remain on how eco friendly they really are when even if they are from scrap wood they have to be transported and processed before shipping. Any tree takes a lot longer to grow and resorb the CO2 than it took to cut down. We're also reaching a crunch point in soil - if you don't put back eventually it has no trace nutrients.
Essentially we're doomed unless folk take up my plan to 'mince up granny and spray her on the pasture'...

I hear hear you, but I see that as a transient issue that also needs sorting. Strategically EV's are better and the rest of the industry needs to sort itself out in parallel. Serialising fixing things will just delay things further, it all needs fixing in parallel, that's how true transformation happens.

So... I do think the residuals calculations still stand, EV's will be on the road just as long as ICE cars. Both degrade their "miles per tank".

Both degrade their "miles per tank".

Really depends on the vehicle, I had a 2010 XJ that started out averaging 38mpg and finished averaging 42mpg when I sold it with 88k on the clock. Several mechanics told me the same thing while I owned it - that the engines loosen off a little at around 70k and the car would behave like that. They weren't wrong, but it was more of a gradual improvement from about 55k.

I can't see any BEVs doing that, but I bet a few ICE cars do; although ultimately they will all go back the other way, it's not going to be a straight degradation like a BEV and may not even be a significant drop over the lifetime of the vehicle.

Really depends on the vehicle, I had a 2010 XJ that started out averaging 38mpg and finished averaging 42mpg when I sold it with 88k on the clock. Several mechanics told me the same thing while I owned it - that the engines loosen off a little at around 70k and the car would behave like that. They weren't wrong, but it was more of a gradual improvement from about 55k.

I can't see any BEVs doing that, but I bet a few ICE cars do; although ultimately they will all go back the other way, it's not going to be a straight degradation like a BEV and may not even be a significant drop over the lifetime of the vehicle.
Not really what the op was highlighting thought now is it? . Yes, on the face of it, one can say the more mpg = more miles per tank but mpg is a measurement to which both electric and ice cars can compare/relate to, where as miles per tank is a how long is a piece of string affair... Just saying.

I was glancing at Autotrader today just for fun and it appeared to me that about 25% (10ish) of the M3 LR's on there have asking prices higher than the new price. WTF??
Tesla are quoting November as the delivery date for an M3 LR right now, have their estimates become even more unreliable than before or are people really paying higher than new just to get it a few weeks sooner. Be surprised if that many dealers were doing it unless it worked so what's going on? I don't get it.

Not really what the op was highlighting thought now is it? . Yes, on the face of it, one can say the more mpg = more miles per tank but mpg is a measurement to which both electric and ice cars can compare/relate to, where as miles per tank is a how long is a piece of string affair... Just saying.

It's kind of impossible to compare directly I suppose, an ICE will ultimately lose efficiency over time, but a BEV will lose "tank" capacity so they will both lose ultimate range for different reasons and the ICE may even gain some range before dropping away again.

There are of course external factors also in play now. As more people switch to BEV then demand for charging infrastructure will increase while demand for fueling infrastructure will decrease; I fully expect range anxiety to become a real thing for ICE in the next 15-20 years while vanishing completely for BEV.

It's kind of impossible to compare directly I suppose, an ICE will ultimately lose efficiency over time, but a BEV will lose "tank" capacity so they will both lose ultimate range for different reasons and the ICE may even gain some range before dropping away again.

There are of course external factors also in play now. As more people switch to BEV then demand for charging infrastructure will increase while demand for fueling infrastructure will decrease; I fully expect range anxiety to become a real thing for ICE in the next 15-20 years while vanishing completely for BEV.
once we have adequate chargers for normal operation what we will be left with is holiday anxiety. i.e. those days in the year like bank holidays and first day of school holidays when everyone hits the road at the same time. I don't see there every being enough chargers for those occasions. You see it in California between LA and SanFran already. Unless we all end up with enough range to not charge on the go I am not sure how this will get solved. If I was a company putting in fast chargers then building extra to cope with those handful of days a year when demand spikes would make no economic sense without significant surge pricing.

once we have adequate chargers for normal operation what we will be left with is holiday anxiety. i.e. those days in the year like bank holidays and first day of school holidays when everyone hits the road at the same time. I don't see there every being enough chargers for those occasions. You see it in California between LA and SanFran already. Unless we all end up with enough range to not charge on the go I am not sure how this will get solved. If I was a company putting in fast chargers then building extra to cope with those handful of days a year when demand spikes would make no economic sense without significant surge pricing.

Good point, even now service areas can struggle just for parking around meal times.

I wonder if we'll see limited charge times with punitive idle fees? I was in Inverness at the weekend and all of the CPS chargers had a limit of 45 minutes.

2022 RWD M3 increased range to c300miles (wltp) @ 100% charge.. closing the gap on LR daily use 90% limit.... its not as fast ... but 5.8s is still good.

So forget about diff residual value between Rwd Sr+ and Lr awd, its the other brands to watch out for...

2022 RWD M3 increased range to c300miles (wltp) @ 100% charge.. closing the gap on LR daily use 90% limit.... its not as fast ... but 5.8s is still good.

So forget about diff residual value between Rwd Sr+ and Lr awd, its the other brands to watch out for...
Yes I spotted those range figures for the 20/2 RWD Model 3 as well. That’s pretty good.

I reckon that 300 miles is quite an optimistic figure, but it is 90% of the range in my LR AWD.

Either way that’s quite a price premium for 30 more miles!

Just to circle back to my OP, in case anyone is interested here is the Webuyanycar offer history for my 2021 LR AWD now with 5,000 miles.

- March 2021 £49,990 purchase (less £3k EV grant)
- June 2021 £47,170
- Sept. 2021 £47,240
- Oct. 2021. £43,645
- Nov 2021. £47,415
- Nov 2021. £50,285

After 9 months of ownership, residuals are looking good.

I’m going to keep an eye on this just out of curiosity more than anything. It would be great if values hold up like this though.