Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Residue / moisture / dirt causing Model 3 dash cam footage to be degraded, hazy and blurry.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dashcam quality footage for me has significantly degraded over the last month or two. I believe some sort of residue / moisture has become trapped behind the windscreen, in-front of the cameras, distorting the image (and affecting autopilot performance). I am fully aware the images are treated in a way to be optimised for the autopilot computer, but these are clearly optical problems that appear to be caused by debris / dirt / moisture. Please don't try and convince me this is normal, I do photography regularly and treat video (read: colour correct, motion graphics) regularly for my job. I understand the video and cameras have been optimised for the FSD computer and won't appear pretty as you'd expect an iPhone's footage to look like, but blurry and out-of-focus on consistent areas of the frame is clearly wrong.

Generally, the images are now less in focus, colours have a glow to them, and it looks like there's a film over everything. I tried rebooting, clearing storage space and cleaning the exterior windscreen with a windscreen specific product. I have tried turning on the heating de-mister and fans to maximum for an hour which didn’t evaporate any of the marks. I even blasted the area with a hairdryer until the surface too hot to touch. I cannot get to the spot to clean the glass from the interior as it’s behind the camera enclosure, but ultimately I can't tell If there's something behind the glass or physically on the camera lens.

I've tried thoroughly cleaning the exterior. The other cameras' footage is fine except the front. I've already made an appointment with Tesla to correct this, seeing as these cameras are fundamental for autopilot; the dashcam footage I don't care as much about.

If anyone has any insight or ideas on how to correct this, I'd be grateful . Thank you.

Attachments

• Annotated 1.png
    Annotated 1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 365
  • Annotated 2.png
    Annotated 2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 210
  • Annotated 3.png
    Annotated 3.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 143
  • Annotated 4.png
    Annotated 4.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 126
  • Annotated 5.png
    Annotated 5.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 139
I've disassembled the 3 camera assembly once before for cleaning, a moderate white haze was causing a blur. Roughly took me 30-45 minutes. Attempt at your own risk, moving the front triple camera housing may require realignment by a Tesla SC, which is roughly an hour of labor and the hassle of an appointment.

Below links are helpful

• Informative
Reactions: KenC