Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resistance in opening the door after auto door open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the icon from the touchscreen to open the driver side door. Then, I tried to push to open the door and it has some resistance for 2 seconds and then I can open the door. I observed this multiple times. If we have any wind in this situation, the door can damage as it has resistance and wind tries to push it open. Anyone observed this? Do we have any setting not to open the door when we approach, but should be able to open with the key fob press? When I tried to disable this I see that all the 3 features are clubbed in to one and if we disable, it disables even the key fob press open.

The sensors tell the car how far it is safe to open the doors. The door motors will open the door only as far as it thinks it can safely open. It will resist any effort to open it further, from your hand, the wind, etc., until the door is stopped. Then you can continue to open the door further with your hand. This is a safety feature to try to prevent the wind from opening the door beyond what it thinks is the safe distance. Note that this doesn't always work!

I used the icon from the touchscreen to open the driver side door. Then, I tried to push to open the door and it has some resistance for 2 seconds and then I can open the door. I observed this multiple times. If we have any wind in this situation, the door can damage as it has resistance and wind tries to push it open. Anyone observed this? Do we have any setting not to open the door when we approach, but should be able to open with the key fob press? When I tried to disable this I see that all the 3 features are clubbed in to one and if we disable, it disables even the key fob press open.
I mainly get this in my garage when I think it is sensing the wall nearby.

When I get the resistance, I always pull in a little and then go out, and it goes. Maybe that's just the two seconds counting out, I don't know.

As others noted, every time I see it, it's because the car thinks (usually correctly) that there's an obstacle near the doors to be careful of.

Reactions: scottf200
Others have given you workarounds, but I have two comments...

First, a comment regarding your concern: while I try to use the workarounds mentioned by others, I sometimes pull the door past this resistance without hurting it, so I don't think the wind will hurt it.

Second, an answer to your actual question: The automatic doors setting determines whether or not the doors will open. There is another setting called passive entry in safety and security. This setting determines whether or not the vehicle will unlock and start based solely on fob presence. If you disable passive entry, the doors won't open automatically when you walk by the vehicle while it is locked, and you will still be able to open them using the fob. However, please be aware that the doors will still open on their own if the vehicle is unlocked, so if you don't lock the vehicle or, for instance, you open an FWD and then walk by the driver door, the driver door will still automatically open.

Reactions: GraemeS