Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[RESOLVED] CPO Delivery Dilemma! Big scratches and Tesla says they won't repair.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fiver

Apr 10, 2015
Utah
This morning I was informed my car is ready for pickup, but at the same time, informed that there are significant scratches along the rear of the car that Tesla considers "Normal wear" on a CPO and that they will not be fixing.

These scratches look a little over the top for something that is "CPO". Honestly I'm thinking about not collecting on this car based on the photo's. Thoughts?
Buying from CPO straight from Tesla, this is not what I was expecting. A few tiny knicks and dings are one thing, this almost looks like someone took a brillo pad to the tailgate!

IMG_3114.jpg
IMG_3115.jpg

Yikes. Unless you are getting a super deal on that CPO, I might refuse it and wait on another one.

Only reason I would keep that one is if my deposit was going to be lost and it would be cheaper for me to pay to repair the paint.

How much is paint repair usually on a Tesla? I have not seen the car in person, but those scratches do look like they would catch your nail.
If you cannot catch your nail on it you can buff it out easily. If they are deeper than that it may be possible to still remove them or at least minimize them. If they are through the clear coat it would need to be repainted. Repainting the hatch should not be terribly expensive; under $500 total. You could also see if a paintless dent repair place that does bumper touch-ups can fix it. They are usually quite a bit cheaper than a body shop and can make it look really good.

Im waiting to take delivery of my CPO but didnt they agree and you sign a document that had terms like this?

Vehicle exterior standards:
No structural damage, cracks, holes, cuts
No impact damage
No scratches, chips or other paint damage over 3/8 of an inch (10mm) Slight contact wear is acceptable
All panels, bumpers, grilles, badges, and diffusers are mounted and secure

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael and MP3Mike
I pulled that from the pre owned vehicle disclosure. That was emailed to me right after I placed my deposit. I had to sign it and send it back to them. I dont see a copy in mytesla even though I have my MVPA

Those are very weird locations for scratches. I wonder if someone took the spoiler off before and caused those? From the looks, I am pretty sure those could be buffed out. Very odd that they would not even think twice about fixing those. That is not what one would expect from a CPO car.

Really makes me less and less inclined to even consider a CPO at this point. Just way too much inconsistency in experiences.

Those are very weird locations for scratches. I wonder if someone took the spoiler off before and caused those? From the looks, I am pretty sure those could be buffed out. Very odd that they would not even think twice about fixing those. That is not what one would expect from a CPO car.

Really makes me less and less inclined to even consider a CPO at this point. Just way too much inconsistency in experiences.

Agreed. Looks like the spoiler has been removed and re-installed.

Get a carfax

Yeah, that ain't normal. And a quickie fix for it may be disappointing. Ensure you include conditional verbiage that resembles "to your satisfaction" with regard to the repair. Plus compensation if you're the one that has to schlep around to different shops for estimates.

If a used car, well, then it's a matter of "as is" in most cases. If a CPO, then no, that's not acceptable unless disclosed up front and it does not sound like it was, given that those are your pictures and not theirs taken beforehand.

A good detailer may be able to buff that out. Something like doing a polish with Gtechniq P1 nano composite polish and then using Crystal Lacquer to add another layer of clear coat to it. A good detailer should be able to do it for that section for pretty cheap. Ideally, you should get Tesla to cover a solid detailing job.

Agreed. Looks like the spoiler has been removed and re-installed.
Get a carfax

Got a carfax, there was no mention of this on it.

Yeah, that ain't normal. And a quickie fix for it may be disappointing. Ensure you include conditional verbiage that resembles "to your satisfaction" with regard to the repair. Plus compensation if you're the one that has to schlep around to different shops for estimates.

If a used car, well, then it's a matter of "as is" in most cases. If a CPO, then no, that's not acceptable unless disclosed up front and it does not sound like it was, given that those are your pictures and not theirs taken beforehand.

The pictures I added above are from the local DS, they were sent to me today, this AM, before my PM scheduled pickup. I have not seen the car in person yet.

How old is the CPO? 2012? looks scratched way beyond reasonable wear and tear.

It's a late 2013, and I agree it's far more then reasonable wear and tear. It does look like something happened with the spoiler and they put on a new one. If it's something that will buff out, I don't get why they didn't just buff it out. They called me earlier this week saying they were working on buffing out some issues on the hood. I don't get why they wouldn't have done this at the same time.

If it's actual deep scratches, then it's way beyond what is acceptable and should have been replaced before my pickup was scheduled.

Either way, it's been a month since I ordered this, they had ample time to fix this issue.

A good detailer may be able to buff that out. Something like doing a polish with Gtechniq P1 nano composite polish and then using Crystal Lacquer to add another layer of clear coat to it. A good detailer should be able to do it for that section for pretty cheap. Ideally, you should get Tesla to cover a solid detailing job.

Agreed re most of it, but a couple of those scratches look pretty deep.

The shame of it is that if the CPO hub had elected to have a master detailer do exactly what you describe *beforehand*, the resulting remaining scratches probably would have been deemed acceptable by the buyer and this brouhaha could have been entirely avoided.

The word that comes to mind is proactive.

Fiver,

Did you receive pictures of the car? If so, can you tell from the pictures? I received about 20 Pictures on my CPO before I even put the deposit down.

Also look at your AiM Inspection report. It should list those scratches along with depth on it. If it does not list it, then Tesla has to repair it. This means it happened while in Tesla's ownership and not the previous owner.

Fiver,

Did you receive pictures of the car? If so, can you tell from the pictures? I received about 20 Pictures on my CPO before I even put the deposit down.

Also look at your AiM Inspection report. It should list those scratches along with depth on it. If it does not list it, then Tesla has to repair it. This means it happened while in Tesla's ownership and not the previous owner.

The only pictures I got of this vehicle were from today, as posted at the top of this thread. According to my regional CPO advisor who assisted with the sale (I switched to this car from another one I had ordered earlier) "There was no AiM inspection" so she didn't have any info on the condition of the car at trade in.

Again, I'm not too worried, the condition as shown in the above photos is just ridiculous and I'm sure anyone higher up the chain who sees them will agree. I'm sure Tesla will make it right.