Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Defective cowling Tesla says not fixable - new 2015 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True the first guy I spoke to may have been in error. But how do you explain the emailed response, which I quoted above? That was the consensus of the service center management. They never came off that "officially". I think they want me to believe the piece just snapped in. I assure you, though, it did not. I'm not a mechanic but I can put a plastic snap into the hole it snaps into. It would not go. Now it does. No comment from Tesla.

Looking for a scandal, are you?

True the first guy I spoke to may have been in error. But how do you explain the emailed response, which I quoted above? That was the consensus of the service center management. They never came off that "officially". I think they want me to believe the piece just snapped in. I assure you, though, it did not. I'm not a mechanic but I can put a plastic snap into the hole it snaps into. It would not go. Now it does. No comment from Tesla.

It's fixed. You got what you were seeking. What's the point of going on about it? I don't get it.

What's the point of going on about it? I don't get it.

Well, its the internet for one, where people are free to speak their mind.

It does serve a purpose though--there's clearly substandard communication from Tesla and this thread has served to expose the deficiency. Whether an isolated personnel thing or a systemic training thing, he got a pretty unacceptable series of responses that turned out to be completely incorrect since there obviously was a fix. I'm confident Tesla will learn from this incident. Deprioritizing a solution for a cosmetic defect is okay--most rational people would understand. Blowing off a defect simply because it is cosmetic is now.

Also, as a Tesla owner and enthusiast, I'm pretty disappointed that folks in this thread [who I assume are also enthusiasts] took the perspective that it was okay for Tesla to respond in the manner they did, and instead chose to belittle the OP. Seriously, what does it say about the design, manufacturing, production, and product assurance competency of a Tesla if they can't get a couple plastic trim pieces to line up? Replace "Tesla" with "GM" or "BMW" in this situation and this forum would have been ALL OVER the legacy ICE company, citing Tesla's exemplary customer service as evidence to the legacy's old, outdated, and inferior ways...

Tesla recruits it's service employees from car dealers, as they need people with automotive experience already. Car dealer personnel have a tendency to "say what comes to mind first" rather than actually do research. This is because their job depends upon the number of cars they put through in a day and real research reduces the number. It will take some time to remove the "say the first think you think will appease the customer so he will go away" attitude.

I've witnessed this at Tesla. I was explaining a noise to a new service center employee who's previous job was a dealership. Got lots of "well, cars make lots of sounds" dealer-type-go-away responses. Veteran Tesla employee jumps in says "We'll do a road test to verify the noise and fix it". Now, that dealer employee, that used to give the standard dealer responses, is really good and does it the Tesla way. Just takes time to adjust I think. I've talked to a number of service center employees that say it takes a while to adjust to the non-commissioned sale service model that Tesla has. At dealerships, they are conditioned to avoid non-profitable service like warranty repairs and cosmetic stuff and that doesn't work with Tesla's model.

It does serve a purpose though--there's clearly substandard communication from Tesla and this thread has served to expose the deficiency.

You say that like it's something new. The forum has been discussing communication for years. Yes, years. My observation is that nothing has changed, so I question 'serves a purpose'.

Also, as a Tesla owner and enthusiast, I'm pretty disappointed that folks in this thread [who I assume are also enthusiasts] took the perspective that it was okay for Tesla to respond in the manner they did, and instead chose to belittle the OP. Seriously, what does it say about the design, manufacturing, production, and product assurance competency of a Tesla if they can't get a couple plastic trim pieces to line up? Replace "Tesla" with "GM" or "BMW" in this situation and this forum would have been ALL OVER the legacy ICE company, citing Tesla's exemplary customer service as evidence to the legacy's old, outdated, and inferior ways...

I'm disappointed too, just about something entirely else.

What does it say? Well it could be that someone on the line didn't care, that a quality control person missed it, or that it broke at some point after production. *shrug* Just doesn't fall under my list of life altering situations requiring me to get bent, particularly that it's fixed now.

Once a person has received that which they wanted, there's no logical (or good) reason for them to go on about it since there's less than zero left to be gained (unless they always just wanted to be the center of attention?). It's a curious approach to life, that's my only point.

Or they could have the expectation that it's professional to close the communication loop and to thereby not expose the brand to speculation (or, if you prefer, to kill the word of mouth) due to incomplete or just flat out bad communication. As was the case here.

All of my interactions with Service have been good/great. Except one. And that one experience remains a problem yet to be resolved. As a result, I still extol the virtues of the car, which are numerous, to anyone who asks, and to some who don't - but if someone asks specifically about service, I tell them what I experienced therewith as well - I start with the good/great, but also tell them the unbelievably bad. And that's unfortunate. It is possible, although not probable, that there may still be a happy ending - but I'm not holding my breath.

The car itself, absent the issue in question, remains phenomenal. People maybe don't realize that in 10 years, the current Model S will be regarded pretty much as an antique - imagine how good a 2020 Model X or even 2020 Model 3 is going to be by comparison.

But it only takes one bad apple, and as with many things in the IT world, the weak link is usually human.

I agree that the panel doesn't fit quite right, on my signature car I have an occasional problem where the panel won't snap in place, and I have to make another run at it to snap it in. Once it's snapped in, it tends to hold in place, though.

As for first responders, it does indeed need to be accessible easily, but it's not like they're screwing them down. On my car, when the panel is fastened, it easily comes up.

Ok, this is to the moderator who I assume changed the title of this thread.

I guess your theory is that the TMC site is "pro-Tesla", and is meant to be a sort of "free advertising" site. I don't know who "owns" this website - is it stated somewhere? I'm sure it is and I missed it - I'll look again.

But changing the thread title bothers me. It goes against my right to freedom of speech, and censors what I think is legitimate criticism of Tesla's service. The original title was honest - it reflected exactly what Tesla told me when I asked them to repair what I consider a defect in my VERY EXPENSIVE, and BRAND SPANKING NEW car.

The new thread title is not honest. Yes they fixed it, but they did not explain why they originally told me it was unfixable and gave me so much grief about it. The new title does not reflect the issue - its almost an ad for Tesla, rather than an honest statement of an issue.

Just my opinion, but this website is overly Pro-Tesla, dominated and run by Tesla defenders, and in truth does NOT serve Tesla well. It would be far better for Tesla for this website to be an honest, open discussion of all things Tesla with thread titles that reflect honesty and frank statements of Tesla's issues. I don't know if you noticed this or not, but there were a few people who posted on this thread who had their own problems with Tesla. We all support the car and company. There's no need for the white-washed thread titles.

Yikes! Now there's a change in timbre.

Electricfan: I totally understand your frustration with the issue. Glad that there is a fix and hope it's not inconvenient. I also agree with your comments about the title of the tread being changed without contacting you first. That would seem appropriate.

I do not think that TMC is too pro Tesla. There are many threads and comments about issues and complaints with Tesla and the products. I have voiced critical opinions and have never had anything edited or removed. Yes, I am a total Tesla Fan. But I will criticize when I think warranted, as many others have.

Important to remember that this is an owners' and fans' forum. So obviously, most of us are in love with the car and the company. I, for one, would not waste my time here if I wasn't enthusiastic. It goes with the territory. But do look around and you will see many dissenting comments about a variety of issues.

And most importantly of all, I can totally relate to your frustration. I want my car perfect...all the time. For as much money as I paid for her, she better be in her best form all the time.

It goes against my right to freedom of speech, and censors...

Yep. It sure does.

There is no freedom of speech for you on this web site. Only on your own website. Or, out on the street where you can stand on a soapbox and start yelling at whoever happens to be within earshot.

On this website, you have to observe the terms and conditions that the site owners made up. They probably have the right to modify and munge our posts, move them around and delete them at will. It's a private site.

And since it is called Tesla Motors Club, you should deduce that it is an enthusiasts' site where they like Tesla stuff :)

On the OP's subject... glad it got fixed. And I'm glad the thread name got revised to match. And frankly I'm glad TMC exists, 'cos it's been instrumental in me buying the stock and getting the car!

They probably thought you were complaining about it not being completely flush and pictures from others show that none of the versions are completely flush and the newer models with the extra tab are even less flush than the older models. Thus the email. Probably a complaint they have gotten before so they dismissed it as a non-fixable problem.

They may not have known that the issue was that it was less flush than other typical ones. I suspect after the talk about the Regional Manager they took a closer look.

Last edited:
As for first responders, it does indeed need to be accessible easily, but it's not like they're screwing them down. On my car, when the panel is fastened, it easily comes up.

At one of my service visits a year or so ago, Tesla installed some sort of plastic ribbon that sticks out of the gap for first responders. It exposes the HV loop that they can cut in an emergency. That little tag wasn't there when I got my car.

I guess your theory is that the TMC site is "pro-Tesla", and is meant to be a sort of "free advertising" site. I don't know who "owns" this website - is it stated somewhere? I'm sure it is and I missed it - I'll look again.

But changing the thread title bothers me. It goes against my right to freedom of speech, and censors what I think is legitimate criticism of Tesla's service. The original title was honest - it reflected exactly what Tesla told me when I asked them to repair what I consider a defect in my VERY EXPENSIVE, and BRAND SPANKING NEW car.

The new thread title is not honest. Yes they fixed it, but they did not explain why they originally told me it was unfixable and gave me so much grief about it. The new title does not reflect the issue - its almost an ad for Tesla, rather than an honest statement of an issue.

Just my opinion, but this website is overly Pro-Tesla, dominated and run by Tesla defenders, and in truth does NOT serve Tesla well. It would be far better for Tesla for this website to be an honest, open discussion of all things Tesla with thread titles that reflect honesty and frank statements of Tesla's issues. I don't know if you noticed this or not, but there were a few people who posted on this thread who had their own problems with Tesla. We all support the car and company. There's no need for the white-washed thread titles.

All this over a thread TITLE being changed? Were any of your posts (or any other critical posts) changed? A single word? No?

Little dramatic. But it fits in with your oft-repeated (even when not apropos) that everyone here is a Tesla fan and position yourself as the one who will speak the truth. CHG-ON is correct. There are tons of threads here with criticism and those threads aren't touched.

What's wrong with most people on this forum about Tesla, created by Tesla enthusiasts, being pro-Tesla? If we weren't pro-Tesla, we wouldn't have bought the car. That doesn't mean we don't discuss problems and give constructive criticism, but in doing so we tend to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt and we want the company to succeed. I you want an anti-Tesla website, you're free to start one.

Is the title better now?

Last edited:
[Resolved] Defective cowling..told unfixable...very angry..now fixed...still ...

What's wrong with most people on this forum about Tesla, created by Tesla enthusiasts, being pro-Tesla? If we weren't pro-Tesla, we wouldn't have bought the car. That doesn't mean we don't discuss problems and give constructive criticism, but in doing so we tend to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt and we want the company to succeed. I you want an anti-Tesla website, you're free to start one.

Pretty much. I'd imagine if you go to a Corvette forum you'll find people who...Shock!...like Corvettes.

Is the tile better now?
This works. The last one was fine, too.

... titles are only meant to give a quick 'heads up' to people looking on the forum for threads they might be interested in. I routinely see thread titles updated to reflect changing nature of the thread (or spelling errors fixed or click-bait titles made 'not click-baity' or obtuse titles made a little more informative:) ).

Good job. Both this time and last time.

At one of my service visits a year or so ago, Tesla installed some sort of plastic ribbon that sticks out of the gap for first responders. It exposes the HV loop that they can cut in an emergency. That little tag wasn't there when I got my car.

I suspect the tag is there on the wires on yours too, it's just not protruding from between the edges of the plastic. Most cars I've seen have had the wiring loop sticker exposed through the crack, but if you get in there and move anything around, it's easy enough to pin it under. Either way, to effectively disable the Model S, you'll need to pull the cover off, as you need to cut those wires in two places as far apart as possible, and the loop doesn't readily pull between the cracks.