Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Defective cowling Tesla says not fixable - new 2015 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect the tag is there on the wires on yours too, it's just not protruding from between the edges of the plastic.

Yes, the tag is affixed to the HV cable so that when you tug on it, it will pull and expose the loop to be cut. It wasn't there when my car was delivered because I had the cowl removed to check my fuse boxes. Maybe an oversight during manufacturing? In any event, Tesla added it at a service visit.

Yes, the tag is affixed to the HV cable so that when you tug on it, it will pull and expose the loop to be cut. It wasn't there when my car was delivered because I had the cowl removed to check my fuse boxes. Maybe an oversight during manufacturing? In any event, Tesla added it at a service visit.

I'm very happy they added the rear cut-loop too... early cars have only one loop to disable HV, present under the frunk (which is one of the first areas that gets crumpled heavily in a bad accident). On newer cars, we can use a circular saw to cut into the car's left rear door frame to disable HV as well - that was one of the first things that our volunteer fire department asked when I showed them cut loops: "what happens when the front loop can no longer be found?" Of course, the pyro fuse should automatically disable the contactors as well in that case, but always good to have options to keep us safe.

Is the tile better now?

Yes! Although I wonder why you didn't just go with adding the "Resolved", which I'm ok with since its the truth, then leave the rest as it originally was. I don't think anybody who read the thread would think I was in love with the Houston Service Center anymore. But its a little funny with the "still upset" part, and I like humor too. And it conveys the "unfixable" story I was given in the beginning which is what really bugged me, and is the most important aspect of the whole sad affair.

- - - Updated - - -

They probably thought you were complaining about it not being completely flush

I hope that's it. But I kind of don't think it was. I just checked my original email to Tesla and I said there was a "loose piece under the hood", so I didn't complain about "flush" or just the looks, I was worried about the part coming off of the car at some point in the future.

But, you could be right because it might have gotten translated to "flush" by the tech or somebody else, and then it got put into the category of "crazy customer wants every part to line up exactly", which was never what it was on my end, regardless of what some have said here and on Facebook.

- - - Updated - - -

At one of my service visits a year or so ago, Tesla installed some sort of plastic ribbon that sticks out of the gap for first responders. It exposes the HV loop that they can cut in an emergency. That little tag wasn't there when I got my car.

Yes, this is part of why I think they may have replaced something. I see that plastic ribbon now, but the pictures I have show it wasn't showing before. If it was there it must have been tucked underneath somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

All this over a thread TITLE being changed? Were any of your posts (or any other critical posts) changed? A single word? No?

Little dramatic. But it fits in with your oft-repeated (even when not apropos) that everyone here is a Tesla fan and position yourself as the one who will speak the truth. CHG-ON is correct. There are tons of threads here with criticism and those threads aren't touched.

Well, yes, all this over a title being changed. Because the new title sounded like an advertisement for Tesla, whereas the original title was accurate and would help a future Tesla owner if they get the story something is "unfixable".

Do you own this site? That's not a smart-xxx question, its a serious question. I'm looking for the person/persons who own this site. I'd love to talk or email with them. About what the function of the site is. I'm much relieved that the title was made accurate again, and it gives me hope somebody does care more about the owners than about Elon Musk. He's a billionaire many times over and we don't need to worry about him. We do need to worry about each other.

I don't mind being called "dramatic". There are worse problems to have. And I still claim I tell the truth and others here defend Tesla to the point of absurdity. Claiming a $21k bill for repairs of a fender "might be justified" is one example.

Do you own this site? That's not a smart-xxx question, its a serious question. I'm looking for the person/persons who own this site. I'd love to talk or email with them. About what the function of the site is.

The moderators are the ones setting the tone for this site, not the 'owner'. (I don't think it's actually owned by any one person anymore - isn't it collectively run by the moderators?).

It goes against my right to freedom of speech, and censors what I think is legitimate criticism of Tesla's service.

PS: First amendment protection only covers government censorship.

You don't have a right to freedom of speech in a private forum. If Tesla were to buy this site and redact every second word you wrote, they wouldn't be breaking any laws. It be insane... but not criminal.

I'm going to look for mine right now. I most definitely want it visible!

I suspect the tag is there on the wires on yours too, it's just not protruding from between the edges of the plastic. Most cars I've seen have had the wiring loop sticker exposed through the crack, but if you get in there and move anything around, it's easy enough to pin it under. Either way, to effectively disable the Model S, you'll need to pull the cover off, as you need to cut those wires in two places as far apart as possible, and the loop doesn't readily pull between the cracks.

And for the other topic on the site. Isn't it time to let it go? There are plenty of other sources that have different opinions. I read them all the time and then come to my own conclusion.

I think TMC and the Moderators do a fantastic job for no remuneration for all the time they must be spending corralling all of us. Hey, the forum wouldn't be here or be as an enjoyable a place without them. Period.

Last edited:
PS: First amendment protection only covers government censorship.

You don't have a right to freedom of speech in a private forum. If Tesla were to buy this site and redact every second word you wrote, they wouldn't be breaking any laws. It be insane... but not criminal.

We got a bunch of lawyers on this site. Technically you are probably right. But seriously, are you telling me you don't take your freedom to speak freely everywhere you go, and expect it to be respected? If you went into a movie theatre and you started bad-mouthing the movie, and the manager came and told you to shut up, would you? You're in his theatre - did you give up your rights? I don't give up mine when I log into this forum or anywhere else, whether I legally have them or not. If TMC's official website policy is to censor the member's speech based on favoritism to Tesla and not public decency (which is a reason I think they should), that's what I need to hear! Is it? They changed this thread's title to something complementary to Tesla, even though it was posted by me, and I'm never going to be happy being treated the way the Houston Service Center did me. It was a greasy car-dealership-service-center feeling I got from my last visit. All other (earlier) visits have been better. I'm concerned service is heading the wrong way and that was the whole point of me making this post.

Ps Bonnie is right, I do like being dramatic. I feel good.

We got a bunch of lawyers on this site. Technically you are probably right. But seriously, are you telling me you don't take your freedom to speak freely everywhere you go, and expect it to be respected? If you went into a movie theatre and you started bad-mouthing the movie, and the manager came and told you to shut up, would you? You're in his theatre - did you give up your rights? I don't give up mine when I log into this forum or anywhere else, whether I legally have them or not. If TMC's official website policy is to censor the member's speech based on favoritism to Tesla and not public decency (which is a reason I think they should), that's what I need to hear! Is it? They changed this thread's title to something complementary to Tesla, even though it was posted by me, and I'm never going to be happy being treated the way the Houston Service Center did me. It was a greasy car-dealership-service-center feeling I got from my last visit. All other (earlier) visits have been better. I'm concerned service is heading the wrong way and that was the whole point of me making this post.

Ps Bonnie is right, I do like being dramatic. I feel good.

You can't tell FIRE in a movie theater without consequences either. And TMC isn't owned by Tesla Motors just so you are aware. They do have an official forum if you find the moderation here not to your liking. They have little to no moderation there.

If you went into a movie theatre and you started bad-mouthing the movie, and the manager came and told you to shut up, would you? You're in his theatre - did you give up your rights? I don't give up mine when I log into this forum or anywhere else, whether I legally have them or not.

You probably didn't agree to a TOS when you bought your movie ticket. When you joined TMC, you agreed to the TOS. No one forced you to join. That was your decision. A decision you were free to make. You agreed to the terms and conditions. Why?

We got a bunch of lawyers on this site. Technically you are probably right. But seriously, are you telling me you don't take your freedom to speak freely everywhere you go, and expect it to be respected? If you went into a movie theatre and you started bad-mouthing the movie, and the manager came and told you to shut up, would you? You're in his theatre - did you give up your rights? I don't give up mine when I log into this forum or anywhere else, whether I legally have them or not.
The point is that you don't have those rights in the first place in a private business. In your example, the manager can kick you out of the movie theater. Same here (they can ban you).

You probably didn't agree to a TOS when you bought your movie ticket. When you joined TMC, you agreed to the TOS. No one forced you to join. That was your decision. A decision you were free to make. You agreed to the terms and conditions. Why?

You read the TOS on a forum website?

Are you telling me the TOS on this website stated something like only positive comments are welcomed, all thread titles must be complimentary to Tesla? Really?

If not, what TOS have I violated?

- - - Updated - - -

The point is that you don't have those rights in the first place in a private business. In your example, the manager can kick you out of the movie theater. Same here (they can ban you).

I'm not a lawyer but I seriously doubt a movie theatre manager can legally expel you from his theater for bad mouthing the movie and nothing else.

But more importantly, are you arguing that I should be banned from this forum for posting a negative post about Tesla service? Is that how you see this forum? Or are you arguing you support changing all thread titles to something that reads complimentary to Tesla?

I'm kind of shocked that people would argue in support of the restriction of freedom of speech. Or say they favor a website that restricts it. Or prefer a website that restricts it. Am I confused? Is that not what you are doing?

You read the TOS on a forum website?

Are you telling me the TOS on this website stated something like only positive comments are welcomed, all thread titles must be complimentary to Tesla? Really?

If not, what TOS have I violated?

I don't believe I said you violated anything. Nor did I say anything remotely like 'only positive comments are welcomed'. You've got to get over yourself.

I did say you agreed to a TOS. Your call on whether you bother reading it or not - but it gives TMC the right to edit or delete posts. You agreed to that. Now you don't want to agree to that.

It was a title. That's all. You're acting like someone put duct tape over your keyboard.

You might want to start reading what you sign if you're so worried about your *rights*.

I'm not a lawyer but I seriously doubt a movie theatre manager can legally expel you from his theater for bad mouthing the movie and nothing else.

But more importantly, are you arguing that I should be banned from this forum for posting a negative post about Tesla service? Is that how you see this forum? Or are you arguing you support changing all thread titles to something that reads complimentary to Tesla?

I'm kind of shocked that people would argue in support of the restriction of freedom of speech. Or say they favor a website that restricts it. Or prefer a website that restricts it. Am I confused? Is that not what you are doing?

How was the thread title changed to something that was 'complimentary' to Tesla? It still said Defective cowling in it.

You really are adding a lot of drama to something that is not that big a deal. None of your posts were changed. Hundreds of people have seen this thread. No one is saying you would be banned for saying negative things about Tesla.

This isn't Braveheart. There are restrictions of speech everywhere you go and no one is inhibiting your freedom!!!! Almost nothing is censored here so please cut that part out.

A business has the right to expel you for any reason as long as it is not because of discrimination (violation of civil rights act). Kicking you out for bad-mouthing a movie is not discrimination (it is not because of your race, sex, religion, age, etc). You can protest outside on the public street all you want, but the business does not have to allow you to do so on their premises.

No, I'm not saying you should be banned for this. And no, I'm not supporting changing all thread titles to something that reads complimentary to Tesla. Nor do I think the moderator intended to do that with his first edit. He just wanted to reflect in that title that the issue had been resolved as you later updated on the thread.

I think you are being a bit overly sensitive here. Perhaps he should have notified you first as a courtesy, but it is a moderator's job here to organize posts/threads and make appropriate edits to titles to reflect the content of the thread (if the title is doesn't reflect the content in the first place, or if there are updates not reflected in the title as in your case). Without them doing that, this forum will be a mess and much harder to navigate.

Last edited:
I think TMC and the Moderators do a fantastic job for no remuneration for all the time they must be spending corralling all of us. Hey, thr forum wouldn't be here or be as an enjoyable a place without them. Period.

∆^∆^∆

It's not a conspiracy, just unpaid enthusiasts doing their best.

Might be helpful to step back and attempt a perspective of gratitude for their efforts rather than one of entitlement to freedom of speech. As a wealthy highly particular customer, Tesla has to deal with you.

You pay nothing here, so it's much more democratic. Expectation of special treatment will deliver special treatment, just not of the sort you may enjoy.

A business has the right to expel you for any reason as long as it is not because of discrimination (violation of civil rights act). Kicking you out for bad-mouthing a movie is not discrimination (it is not because of your race, sex, religion, age, etc). You can protest outside on the public street all you want, but the business does not have to allow you to do so on their premises.

Was just about to come and say exactly that!

As a recent example - this is why Wallmart is allowed to refuse to bake a cake with a confederate flag on it (even though, at the same time, a bakery cannot refuse to bake a cake for a same-sex marriage).

As long as it's not discrimination and your policy is applied universally, you can refuse service to someone all you want.

As another example, we know that Tesla has cancelled at least one pre-order and refuse to sell a vehicle to a specific customer, based on past behavior. Completely within their right to do so.

Are you telling me the TOS on this website stated something like only positive comments are welcomed, all thread titles must be complimentary to Tesla? Really?...
You seem very confused to me. No one is saying that this website's TOS states that only posts that are positive about Tesla are allowed. That is clearly absurd and that is not what the TOS is about. The TOS does say that posts may be edited by the moderators. This is pretty standard for online forums. I am surprised you do not realize that. The editing that was done to this thread title is modest, and it would behoove you to calm down and accept it. No one has edited your posts.
If you want complete freedom to post whatever you want, however you want, and be certain that no one will edit or modify what you post you can easily start your own online forum. But I won't be participating on it.