Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Frustrated Mad and Angry at Service right now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, what I usually do to reserve for a service or repair is to negotiate with the SC the days they can keep my car and at what time they return my car. My service usually takes up to several hours so I get my car back on the same day evening. I strongly recommend this, because the shorter the time they keep your car, less mistakes, because they need to "think" about the actual service/repair process thoroughly in advance. Right now, they are just queuing up cars and not thinking about how they fix those cars.

and I have 2 more paid services and 4 years of ESA paid upfront, such was my fanboyism 2 years ago.

If you sell the car, you can get those back, pro-rated. Just ask any (other) service center to do it.

If you try to sell the car including those, you won't get the same value back out, but it makes for happy buyers.

But I suspect this will work out and you're not headed for the hills.

My experience with expensive cars is that you do indeed need to take pics when dropping off. Big pain in the ass but crap happens and I've never seen a mechanic volunteer that they scratched up my car.
I had that happen once to me with a MB that came back from service area with a dent in the hood. after a few minutes of tense words with the service manager they agreed to make it right. the issue is that I had to resort to a lot of nastiness to get them to do the right thing. after that incident I found a good independent MB tech to service the car, it is too bad that independents do not exist to service the tesla.

Dude, lawyers etc. My mission in life is not to correct Tesla's behavior and their clumsy/dishonest employee.
It's been less than 24 hours, my approach is this - lets see if they "make it right".
If they do, they earn high marks.
If they don't, I'll burn the Elon poster in my bedroom and move on.

I mean I know TMC will miss my jokes, but such is life and tough choices have to be made!

In the meanwhile I appreciate all guidance, experiences, and consolation.
I feel your pain.
I live in a fairly affluent community that is mixed between families and retirees.
now there are about 6 other teslas in the area but at first I was the only one and many people approached me about the car and I always talked it up, gave rides and offered my advice.
however now I am reluctant to be so positive, I have one neighbor who bought an X and didn't even make it home from the delivery, she got stranded and had to be rescued, and since then the car has had chronic issues. I still think the car is fantastic but something is not happening during the build/delivery that needs to be addressed or the tesla name could become tarnished.

I'd rather not be in an atmosphere of distrust where I have to take pictures

Perhaps, but the process of taking pictures also allows YOU to see later that the car had a nick or scratch or a dent when you brought it in. If forces you to look closely when you drop it off. It protects both parties.

It's like when I hand cash to someone. I don't want them to "trust me." I want them to count it. NOW is the time to ensure that everything is right, not later.

That said, I just returned a Model X that Tesla was kind enough to loan me for 3 days, and, while returning it, I noticed a complete panel missing from the lower driver door. I was a little sick for a moment, but the DS assured me that that panel was missing when he borrowed the car the day before loaning it to me. I should have checked the car more careful (or at all) the day I borrowed it.

Ok I've been trying to hold my anger in all day but ..

My 2nd annual service, which is hella pricey. They charge me $150 on top of that. Well okay fine. Not happy but I paid.

What p`ssed me off,
- They kept my car for 3 days, when I made an appointment 2 months out, because they were short staffed.
- Most of the time my car sat in the parking lot collecting dust. They spent about 2 hours actually servicing the car. Tell me again about that "service is not a profit center BS".
- Poor communication throughout, basically I'm kept in total suspense around when exactly can I pick my car up, I have to ask multiple times - and they almost never answer their phone.

What REALLY burnt my nerves,
- When I got my car back, it had a crack in the front windshield, and
- A 3 foot long scratch on the frunk hood.

When I delivered the car, they examined the car thoroughly, noted blemishes - heck they MISSED ONE that I pointed out.
When I was picking the car up, they REPLACED that sheet with "car is too dirty to perform inspection".
They presented me with a clipboard saying "sign here" - but I insisted on checking all the papers and discovered this switch. Naturally I was not happy, so I decided to examine the car, and this is what I find.

Then they tell me that "There is nothing they can do, and I am waiting for the service center manager to get back to me".

All this happened today, the service center manager is supposed to get back to me tomorrow.

I am mad as HELL that I have to deal with this nonsense, at their unprofessional behavior, their lying and covering up, and the very fact that I have to deal with this and burn time and energy on it. I have always babied my car, hand washed it and meticulously maintained it myself. Every single time I detailed my car, my back hurt, but I did it. Only to see an ugly 3 foot long scratch left by Tesla service (Rockville Service Center).

Super mad and angry! But really trying to hold it in, lets hope they make it right tomorrow and I end up deleting this thread.

Meanwhile feel free to console me. UGH!

In my experience, they will fix the damage they caused. It's happened to me twice. When I notified them they just accepted it like it was a routine occurrence. "Move fast and break things" applies to Tesla Service Centers too. Hopefully they'll be able to buff out the scratch. Tesla has very soft paint which scratches so easily.

The more troubling part is the paperwork switch. That's just totally unethical. We're told Service Centers are way better than independent dealerships. Haha.

In my experience, the SC has never provided me a copy of the inspection report. On my first SC visit I thought they just forgot. On my second visit they did the same thing, so I took a photo of the paperwork with my phone. I've done this every time since.

Still amazes me Tesla service is so amateur ... especially when most come from BMW, MB ....

I too have regular damage at my SC - they know me and they know what to expect. My SC contact always hides my car and the techs always screw up something. Thankfully, they've corrected most ....

I'm amazed at how many similar posts there are about SCs damaging and breaking things from all parts of the country.

MS SoCal should feel vindicated for his previous thread on this topic.

I notice a recurring phenomenon.

Everytime my car goes into Tesla service for some warranty work, it comes back with something else damaged.

Usually its the original problem not being properly fixed, but in addition to that, SCRATCHES.

Once I had a giant scratch (looks more like a small dog bit into it) on the nose of the car.

Other times there will be dirt/smudges left on the leather interior (they apparently don't have a policy of covering the seats when their service guys work on the cars)

Today I just noticed a bunch of scratches on the interior metal frame of the vehicle door frame.

I can tell you that there is no way, I did this. This was either there when I originally bought the car (and never noticed it) or it was done by one of the Tesla Service Center authorized shops!

Honestly, I feel extremely hesitant taking my car in for further service, because I cannot trust these @#$@#$ to do it right without F@#$#@$G something else up!

I am tired of being their QC guy, and having to routinely check my own car to see where they may have done any new "damage".....

• Disagree
Reactions: anticitizen13.7
When you take pictures, always remember to take some of your light headliner. I have had considerable dirt on mine when it is returned and they always deny it.

I complained about scratches once and now they make me wait quite a while to go over the car and detail before I drop it off.

I'm dropping mine off today for first annual service and some small issues. Will be documenting everything but my SC knows me.. :D Once they forgot to turn my dashcam off, and I can see the service manager stopping the entire workshop and shout CAREFUL WITH THIS CAR GUYS :D It's funny but then it isn't. There was probably 10 cars in the workshop. Most are more expensive than mine....

• Funny
Reactions: Mickie
Hmm, what I usually do to reserve for a service or repair is to negotiate with the SC the days they can keep my car and at what time they return my car. My service usually takes up to several hours so I get my car back on the same day evening. I strongly recommend this, because the shorter the time they keep your car, less mistakes, because they need to "think" about the actual service/repair process thoroughly in advance. Right now, they are just queuing up cars and not thinking about how they fix those cars.

Rover takes 3-4 days for annual service. Give a loaner and all, but it's just silly for all the places that do it.

I was very sad to find what looks to me like a leather repair on my rear seat. I know it wasn't there when I bought the car...meaning, it happened at the service center. not sure which visit, but it's clearly been sliced open (that's the door that had issues sticking) and then repaired. The repair is very good, but you still see a line, like a scar that healed, right in the middle of the seat. Pretty upsetting that they wouldn't tell me about it. I assume because they didn't want to have to replace the whole bench seat...

Sounds like I'm not the only one who things like this have been happening to.

On top of it, I had bad experiences from the 'wash' they do when returning it. The worst wash job I have ever seen. I think from now on I will ask them to not wash it...

• Informative
Reactions: M0DEL³
I was very sad to find what looks to me like a leather repair on my rear seat. I know it wasn't there when I bought the car...meaning, it happened at the service center. not sure which visit, but it's clearly been sliced open (that's the door that had issues sticking) and then repaired. The repair is very good, but you still see a line, like a scar that healed, right in the middle of the seat. Pretty upsetting that they wouldn't tell me about it. I assume because they didn't want to have to replace the whole bench seat...

Sounds like I'm not the only one who things like this have been happening to.

On top of it, I had bad experiences from the 'wash' they do when returning it. The worst wash job I have ever seen. I think from now on I will ask them to not wash it...

NO WASH! NO WASH!!!! :D

• Love
Reactions: MikeBur and Petra
Wow, I've had the diametrically opposite experience. Someone door dinged my car at service, and they called and apologized. They kept the car for a few extra days and fixed it so well I couldn't tell where it happened.
just like people all services centers do not function at the same levels of conscientiousness and professionalism. fortunately for you yours was a good experience, sadly many others didn't share in your good fortunes when dealing with their service centers.

Reactions: MikeBur and TexLaw
I can deal with many things reasonably, if you are up front and are willing to work with me. Things happen, and just about anything can be worked out.

However, if you lie to me and try to screw me to save your own butt, then the time for reason is over. I don't mean that it's time to get nasty. Always wear the white hat. I mean that it's time to just dismiss "alternative facts" out of hand.

I'll just have to remember to get copies or take photos of the paperwork. Damn shame, but there it is.

Only used SC once and had no issues. In fact they did a great job cleaning the car. But, way too many complaints on TMC to be phantom damages. Tesla will be tarnishing their image if this continues. The more one pays for a car the better service one expects. Lexus gives free breakfast,massages, nails done etc.......I don't want that personally and would be very happy with courteous, competent service. Geez, wait until Model 3 problems occur. :eek: