Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Frustrated Mad and Angry at Service right now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay update - They called me and they said they will try to repair the windshield and they will try to buff out the scratch.
The damage to the windshield is minor, and the scratch is not very deep. So I am hoping this will fix it. Lets hope!

What is your experience with windshield repair? Is it good enough?
Is buffing out good enough? (the scratch is not deep)

Reactions: hiroshiy
Okay update - They called me and they said they will try to repair the windshield and they will try to buff out the scratch.
The damage to the windshield is minor, and the scratch is not very deep. So I am hoping this will fix it. Lets hope!

Windshield 'repair'? Is that that glass epoxy goo? Guess it depends on what it's repairing. All of this talk of 'trying' makes me want to quote Yoda on Star Wars day! :D

boaterva - they didn't specify exactly how they'd try to repair it, but Im guessing its that epoxy goo technique. Does that hold up well enough?
Thanks for the update; I've heard good and bad things, and like always, a lot depends on the installer (and what he is trying to fix). If it's a windshield repairer (expert) doing it, it may (might) be invisible. A real YMMV!

For example, a gouge would be easier to fill than a crack, I would think. Did you take any pictures of the damage?

This sucks to hear. Hopefully it was just a stupid employee making a bad decision and not something systemic.

Generally windshield repairs just prevent water from entering the cracks. You can still see the damage.

Here is the glass damage,

upload_2017-5-4_12-54-57.png

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy

Honestly I wouldn't let them buff out anything. I'd take it to a shop myself and have them cover the charges.

If it's not through the clearcoat, you should be fine.

Reactions: gabeincal

View attachment 225668

Dang, I would not settle for 'repair' of that. I would expect a new windshield. That is not acceptable.

And for buffing out the scratch, if I can see ANY remains of it afterwards, I would make them repaint it (although that may be just as bad...but better than having a scratch you can always see that was their fault)

View attachment 225668

You also have tint on the windshield?

Based on the size of that damage I would not let them repair this windshield. OR, have them repair it but sign a waiver that if in 1 year (or whatever timeframe you're comfortable with), the crack is back, they're responsible for the replacement of the entire windshield...

Reactions: bhzmark
ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE to fraudulently alter the inspection page.

If it were me, I would insist on a full hood repaint if deep scratch, new windshield, money for diminished value, loaner of equal or greater value, an apology at bare minimum, immediate termination of whoever altered the records.

Plus they should kiss your ass for the rest of the time you own the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: gowthamn and croman
Hard to tell, but that looks like a clearcoat scratch that'll buff out. Does your nail catch in it when you slide your finger across?

What i'd be worried about is them leaving buffer swirls and holograms because they have no idea what they're doing. When I got the car, I had holograms all over my hood from what I'm guessing was them prepping and buffing the car before delivery. I had a mobile repair guy (local to the DC area) come over and polish/wax my car. He got rid of all of them, did a great job (much better than Tesla).

Reactions: Petra and gabeincal
@Max* my nail does not catch the scratch.
@gabeincal - I do have tint. I like your idea of waiver/reappear crack etc. I'll call them.
@oktane - lets see, things happen, and they are trying to make it right. I did call them and ask them that windshield "repair" is not ideal since it doesn't restore it back to the condition that I gave the car to them in. They are considering my request (the usual let me talk to my manager). Still my approach is to try and work with them. Lets say if they don't come through, well they'll have a dissatisfied customer, but I'd rather not brood over it and poison my own mind. Karma will get them regardless.

Last edited:
Okay update -

it depends on the type of damage, I've had small cracks repaired and it was good enough. but that always isn't the case. I don't know where you are located but some states like here in FLA the windshield could be replaced cost free via your insurance company.