Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Frustrated Mad and Angry at Service right now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for not driving Tesla's because of a bad service center - I dunno. I've
Okay update - They called me and they said they will try to repair the windshield and they will try to buff out the scratch.
The damage to the windshield is minor, and the scratch is not very deep. So I am hoping this will fix it. Lets hope!

What is your experience with windshield repair? Is it good enough?
Is buffing out good enough? (the scratch is not deep)
Personally I would prefer buffing out paint to new paint on the panel if possible. On the windshield I myself would insist on a new one not a repair. OTOH with a new windshield you risk bringing in new wind noise. OTOH if done properly a windshield replacement will not introduce new wind noise - I've had around 4 done on cars over the years and never had a wind noise problem.

Reactions: GWord
Epoxy repair can work fine. I've had many glass repairs done over the years with success. No harm in seeing how it turns out right? Worst case is they ultimately replace it anyway.

The scratch should detail out easily if it isn't deep. Better option than a repaint in my opinion.

Reactions: bhzmark
@GWord - I am leaning towards buffing it out vs. painting. As it is, if I can't tell the damage after they are done buffing, its good enough. Repainting involves many other issues, the BEST option of course is to just get a new hood. But overkill for this situation IMO.

The windshield however, I feel they owe me a new one. The repair,
- I will still see the damage
- It may not hold up in the long run anyway.

I do have tint and I guess i'll need to get tint again, so replace will actually COST me even if Tesla covers it completely. But lets say if I had that damage because of me, I'd replace the windshield.

Truly apalling and my sympathies, but fwiw it's not just a Telsa thing.

Audi did almost the exact same thing to me, instead of a scratch they used a mop/cloth on it when the cleaned it (against my specific instruction - and yes that mysteriously disappeared and was replaced by paperwork without the instruction or my signature) which must have been covered in grit as my flawless recently detailed paintwork looked like it had been keyed for a new coat. Not talking swirl marks but deep scratches all over the paintwork though the clearcoat into the metallic coat underneath. Horrendous. Cleverly though they had used a wash/wax so whilst I saw the damage I had no idea how serious it was until I cleaned it the following weekend and cried at the mess.

On calling the dealer they requested I take the car back in and they would get it cleaned again!!!
Imbeciles.
Despite escalating to the dealer principal and the owners of the chain, even Audi themselves they all flat refused to do anything about it and I just gave up.
Never spoke the the b'ds again after that. Never would buy an Audi again for that matter.

I hope you have more success than I did.

Your windshield issue looks like one I had on my Avalon. It had "legs" too. Safelite came out and said the epoxy or whatever it is would stop it from spreading but not to expect it to fill it so it was invisible. Sure enough they were right on both counts. Still have the car and would post a photo of my repair but it's in the shop for AC repair.

If you are uncomfortable having them do the scratch work, maybe take it to a good detailer and let them do the work and Tesla pick up the cost. We had a scratch on a rear quarter panel that our detailer said he could feel and they worked on it and couldn't tell afterwards. We also did a body wrap so hopefully situations like this won't be a problem. The glass work, well nothing available to really protect that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
@bonnie This thread just reinforces my point from the other thread...

@Sir Guacamole You are being way, way, way too understanding and nice for this situation... You should demand a new windshield and a new hood plus a full refund of your service charges, AND something else... They fraudulently altered your pre-inspection sheet to hide damage... How could you possibly be accepting of what you're being offered? The employee who did this should be terminated, the service manager terminated, the people who altered your pre-inspection sheet also terminated... This kind of behavior is so beyond acceptable that people need to lose their job over this and Tesla needs to use this example as a teaching moment internally that they DO NOT tolerate fraud or the attempt to cover up damage to a customer vehicle...

Wow... I mean I can't even comprehend this... IF something like this ever happens to me... Wow...

Jeff

@jeffro01 sooner or later this'll happen to you too - maybe with Tesla or maybe with someone else. You'll see that working WITH them especially when they are TRYING to make it right is the better option.

As far as firing most of that service center, that won't "fix" the situation. But Tesla should follow up internally and make sure this BS of replacing the inspection sheet never happens again. I don't want anyone fired over this. People have jobs lives, and people are not perfect. Talked with yes, not fired. Lets consider this - I don't know if replacing the sheet was malicious or careless. Bad either way, but one is worse.

Last edited:
@jeffro01 sooner or later this'll happen to you too - maybe with Tesla or maybe with someone else. You'll see that working WITH them especially when they are TRYING to make it right is the better option.

As far as firing most of that service center, that won't "fix" the situation. But Tesla should follow up internally and make sure this BS of replacing the inspection sheet never happens again. I don't want anyone fired over this. People have jobs lives, and people are not perfect. Talked with yes, not fired. Lets consider this - I don't know if the replacing the sheet was malicious or careless. Bad either way, but one is worse.

It better never happen to me... Ever. There is no way you're experience can be treated as acceptable in any form for any reason... Far too many owners seem to be unwilling to put their own interests above the companies when reality shows us time and time again that the company (doesn't matter if we're talking about Tesla or Coca Cola) doesn't care about them at all, not even the least bit... Firing people most certainly will fix the situation in that they can't do that to another customer and it sends the message that this kind of behavior isn't going to be tolerated. It's not my responsibility to be worried about peoples lives or financial responsibilities. I'm paying them to do a specific job at a specific minimum level of quality. If they can't do that then find someone who will.

In short, while I know it sounds like I'm mad at "you" I'm really not I'm just very angry WRT your situation... I do feel you're not giving it the proper sense of importance but that's a personal choice of your's that's no business of mine. :)

Jeff

Reactions: croman and oktane
Firing people most certainly will fix the situation
You're talking as if you've never had someone report to you. It takes time and money and effort to train someone to do the job right.

It's a lot cheaper to re-train them, correct the mistake and have it never happen again than it is to fire them.

There are fire-able offenses, obviously. But saying Tesla should fire "everyone" (staff, managers, etc.) won't fix anything. It has to be fixed from a top-down approach.

Something to keep in mind before demanding a replacement is that a factory windshield is generally more accurately and properly installed and sealed than a replacement one. It may not matter if they do a good job replacing it, but sometimes replacing something just makes the problem worse rather than fixing it.

If that damage is where you can't see it then I would just have them fix it, if you can see, than I would want a replacement.

Reactions: bhzmark
Hindsight is 20/20, but I'd rather not be in an atmosphere of distrust where I have to take pictures, then bicker about the details of the pictures and the authenticity and timing, next thing you know I have to carry a witness and a lawyer.

I just want a good reliable car, and service that is a pleasure to deal with.

While I totally agree with you, my wife always insist on precaution to get copies and take photos. On a few occasions it has paid off.