Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resolved: GPS + Autopilot + cruise control + cameras not working. Bonus problem: rapid battery drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but generally you had a physical key which could be used to open the doors and trunk to get at the battery for jumping or replacing (last had a BMW 3-series that had the battery in the trunk).

And I know I'm going to regret this statement but, my 3 is just over 3 years old and a bit less than 20,000 miles. So far no signs of a 12V failure (knock on wood).
You can use any 12 volt battery to pop open your frunk to change the battery though. Plus what other car company includes cost of delivery and install in the price of their battery?

Yes, but generally you had a physical key which could be used to open the doors and trunk to get at the battery for jumping or replacing (last had a BMW 3-series that had the battery in the trunk).

And I know I'm going to regret this statement but, my 3 is just over 3 years old and a bit less than 20,000 miles. So far no signs of a 12V failure (knock on wood).
I confess I just had my 12V battery replaced to pro-actively avoid this. Wasn't that expensive and the tech came out to my home and did it in about 20 mins (and also checked out tires and a few other things while he was here). Not a huge $$ investment for a bit of peace of mind .. after all we dont wait for tires to go flat before we replace them...

I have lol. Battery took a crap so bad, wouldn't start even popping the clutch. Also on fuel injected manuals, there isn't enough juice to fire up the computers to get fuel or spark. Happens on my motorcycles a lot
You gotta get a ridiculous running start - safety be damned. But c’mon, 2 years is just ridiculous. We gotta call them out when call outs are due - anything less is a disservice. My wife’s old Scion had a lead acid Panasonic OEM battery that lasted - I *sugar* you not - 10 effing years. I’m still mystified by that, to this day.

You gotta get a ridiculous running start - safety be damned. But c’mon, 2 years is just ridiculous. We gotta call them out when call outs are due - anything less is a disservice. My wife’s old Scion had a lead acid Panasonic OEM battery that lasted - I *sugar* you not - 10 effing years. I’m still mystified by that, to this day.
I can tell you, as a fully certified mechanic, 2 years is not uncommon. That being said, there should be an alert for the 12v before its fully fails. Tracking voltage over time and what not is not hard

This is really a side effect of the different demands placed on the battery. An ICE battery has to crank the engine and start the car, that's a BIG load, especially in cold weather, so it has to be rated high enough for this one short but heavy demand. The result? All the day-to-day load once the car is running is small and the battery lasts a long time. But EVs dont need that huge capacity, they are only there to provide a short-term power supply for the car electrical systems (and are topped up from the HV battery). So the battery is much smaller, and doesnt last as long. I'm sure you COULD put in a big battery and have it last much longer, but those things are heavy, and Teslas already weigh a lot ... and weight gain = range loss.

Yeah, I'm contemplating this action. Although I'm also looking into replacing the stock 12V battery with an Ohmmu.
$435 for the ohmuu! You can buy 5 batteries for that over the next 10 years! O-moo has 4 year warranty. Also Elon can change lead acid charging operation and Li will kick out error messages, again. Happened before and O-moo had to adjust their BMS.

FWIW nothing resolved this problem except for the “hard reset” in my OP.

By the way if it’s considered “normal” for this thing to leave me stranded every ~2 years because of a failed 12V battery, might find myself in another car.
I put an Ohmmu lithium battery in at HAL's one year anniversary, as normal 12v batteries die prematurely in the desert heat. Getting stranded in a mall parking lot when its 110f OAT is not my idea of fun.
:cool:

Living in Seattle your battery shouldn’t be failing after two years. Here in Texas you better be checking/changing your battery every two years. My last Tundra I had from 2012-2020 and I changed the battery 3 times. The battery that came with the truck lasted 14 months 😏

Reactions: Dolemite
So you going to throw away all that the Tesla offers to save $35 a year? Do you have many bullet holes in your feet?
Yes, they help me run faster.

Living in Seattle your battery shouldn’t be failing after two years. Here in Texas you better be checking/changing your battery every two years. My last Tundra I had from 2012-2020 and I changed the battery 3 times. The battery that came with the truck lasted 14 months 😏
I only recently moved to this dystopian 3rd world country.

@Dolemite , what was your resolution for this? Got my 3 less than a month ago and second time it’s happened. Cleared the first one up with a power down, but currently toasted the second time. I called tesla tech support and Terry told my my steering sensor is throwing an error and can cause this.

Pretty annoying when combined with a long wait for a service appointment.