Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Help! Having a nightmare at the delivery center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new p90d doesn't have the red calipers. They say it wasn't on the order but I could swear it was and checked on the phone that it was included with the salesperson (who ironically is now in Bali having left tesla). The spoiler is there, which I paid for. The spoiler costs a grand and the calipers were a free option. Now they're saying to add it after would cost me $3000 and they won't do it.

What should I do? Should I take delivery of the vehicle? Or tell them to stick it??? I'm so upset!

Check your email for a confirmation message from teslamotors.com. That will show the configuration that you selected and finalized. You should also have an email from when you configured.

If 'red calipers' is on the list, then Tesla needs to make it right. If it isn't, then I'd have to say they're in the right and they built exactly what you ordered.

The calipers must be one of the things that reset back to a default setting when changes are made.
I almost had a coronary when I realized that the headliner resets to white every time I played around with the interior options.

It's unfortunate that on the pre-confirmation page, the options are on the hidden menus and documents. It's easy to think that everything is set as you wish & planned.
I have seen examples of cars with brake calipers wrapped as well as painted...

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/41001-Let-s-see-your-white-Model-S/page8

Welcome to Tesla. As great as they are, they could do a lot of things better. For this, they should have a human call anyone who pushes the order button and puts down the deposit, to verbally go over the order and all the options. It wouldn't take 10 minutes of their time, and in your case when they got to the red calipers you would have said "hell yes I want them!!! Why aren't they on there - I selected them!!!???" and all would have been fixed at the time you placed your order.

Internet ordering a super expensive car is ok, but should be followed up with a human phone call verifying each option - whether you chose it or whether you didn't.

I think Tesla should offer you the red calipers, just based on goodwill, for nothing.

Just my two cents. I always come down on the side of the little guy (in this case the customer) rather than the big guy (in this case the billion dollar corporation).

Welcome to Tesla. As great as they are, they could do a lot of things better. For this, they should have a human call anyone who pushes the order button and puts down the deposit, to verbally go over the order and all the options. It wouldn't take 10 minutes of their time, and in your case when they got to the red calipers you would have said "hell yes I want them!!! Why aren't they on there - I selected them!!!???" and all would have been fixed at the time you placed your order.

Internet ordering a super expensive car is ok, but should be followed up with a human phone call verifying each option - whether you chose it or whether you didn't.

I think Tesla should offer you the red calipers, just based on goodwill, for nothing.

Just my two cents. I always come down on the side of the little guy (in this case the customer) rather than the big guy (in this case the billion dollar corporation).

I know you like to criticize Tesla, but seriously? An email was sent after configuring, giving a week to review and say 'yep, that's my order'. Another email was sent saying 'this is now confirmed' - still time to make a quick phone call. And you're calling this Tesla's fault?

I suppose if someone had called and confirmed his configuration, you'd be blaming Tesla for not saying, 'Really???? You don't want red calipers?'.

Thank god we're not in a nanny state yet and people own their own decisions still, for the most part.

I may be wrong but, wouldn't it be a simple job to remove the black ones and install the red calipers after taking the wheels off?

It's just a miscommunication somewhere; Tesla can do this right for the customer and earn more loyalty. It doesn't cost them more than an hour of a tech's time.

I may be wrong but, wouldn't it be a simple job to remove the black ones and install the red calipers after taking the wheels off?

It's just a miscommunication somewhere; Tesla can do this right for the customer and earn more loyalty. It doesn't cost them more than an hour of a tech's time.

Yep, not Tesla's fault, but could easily schedule some service time to swap the calipers (and whatever other labor required). Maybe the customer pays for it or not; If it is me, I wouldn't make the customer pay the labor, but just the cost difference per configuration.

Yep, not Tesla's fault, but could easily schedule some service time to swap the calipers (and whatever other labor required). Maybe the customer pays for it or not; If it is me, I wouldn't make the customer pay the labor, but just the cost difference per configuration.

Absolutely agree it would be a really nice goodwill gesture for Tesla to provide. I just don't get some people saying this is Tesla's fault.

I know you like to criticize Tesla, but seriously? An email was sent after configuring, giving a week to review and say 'yep, that's my order'. Another email was sent saying 'this is now confirmed' - still time to make a quick phone call. And you're calling this Tesla's fault?

I suppose if someone had called and confirmed his configuration, you'd be blaming Tesla for not saying, 'Really???? You don't want red calipers?'.

Thank god we're not in a nanny state yet and people own their own decisions still, for the most part.

Wow!! You really don't like it when people suggest Tesla could do a better job, do you??

So, you are saying that Tesla, by waiting a week, and sending a confirmation email or two, did all it could to ensure the customer's order was correct? Is that your argument? Goodness! Tesla really went out of their way there, didn't they??

You confused me with your question about what I'd say if Tesla had called and confirmed his configuration. That is exactly what I'm suggesting. And if they had done that, and asked him "you can have the red calipers with the other options you chose, at no charge" and he said "No thanks", then it would certainly be on the customer. That's what I was trying to say in my original post above - sorry if I was not clear enough.

I think you're trying to drag this into the political arena with your last statement, but I'm going to let that go since this is a car forum.