TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

[Resolved] My P85 has developed the milling noise and Tesla won't fix it.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by kenkamm, Sep 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pgiralt

pgiralt Supporting Member

Lets not generalize. The Raleigh service center has been the absolute best. With so many issues I've had with my car over two years, they have always been extremely accomodating even with the 5 DU replacements (all for either milling or loud hum issues).

2. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Have to disagree as well. Our local SC (Dania) has been fantastic.

3. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

#63 zax123, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    Tesla didn't replace mine until the car stopped moving in the middle of the road... Even though I told them about and they had heard the milling noise.

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

just listened to it myself. agreed the video posted above, the toyota rav4 ev noise is the drone noise, not the milling noise.

5. hpham007

hpham007 Banned

So by not replacing your DU, they turned an annoying issue into a dangerous one. Nice.... If it's any consolation, Consumer Reports says the issue is DU insignificant so that should make a lot of S owners feel better.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Does your Model S have this issue?

7. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

I agree that it was kind of strange on their part. Kind of a funny story... The milling noise was getting worse and worse. And that morning, my girlfriend drove me to the airport. I told her on the way that if the car dies, here's the number to call, etc... cuz I suspected that it was almost done.

While I was boarding the plane, I got a call from my girlfriend: "The car died in the middle of the street."

She called Tesla and the service center picked up and it was ready with a new DU that afternoon.

But still, they could have changed it once they'd heard the sound, and avoided the whole ordeal. In the end, it cost them more what with the tow/loaner/etc.

8. LucM

LucM Member

I just got my car back from its annual service visit (1st visit, a tad over 20k miles). A couple weeks ago I started hearing the drone noise, it would occur at low speeds and only when power was applied. It would go away after 35 mph (or at least I wouldn't hear it above that speed). The service advisor said they heard it, but it wasn't the "bad" sound and I should be okay. I wasn't thrilled with the answer and I will be bringing it back to them if the sound gets worse. I've made alot of long trips in this car and now a worry is kind of hanging over my head. I've also managed to convince two people to buy the car after short test drives but I can't see giving anyone a test drive while the car is making this noise.

9. Bobbyducati

Bobbyducati Member

Ive noticed this too, living in the same area as OP, ive talked to the people at the SC, one thing i noticed when asking about the loaner if i needed the car fixed/serviced, and they told me they never had MS loaners. I thought this was odd since thats all i hear about on here is getting really nice loaner cars, usually better than the owners actual car. Small gripe i guess, but there does seem to be a difference in service levels.

10. kenkamm

kenkamm Member

Is there a way to edit my thread title? I would like to indicate that the issue has been resolved.

11. MrClown

MrClown Autosteer Beta Tester

The west coast considers Denver to be "east coast" and the east coast calls it "west coast." I would prefer not to be associated with a coast myself. :smile: Regardless, I've found Denver service to be good on multiple occasions, even before ownership.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Glad to hear this! Title updated.

13. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

@ken - Once you have your new DU in place and service invoice in possession would you mind posting the HW rev of the new unit? Should be listed on the paperwork.

14. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

My guess on this is because on the dual motor setup, the rear unit is not operating at the same high level the single motor cars need to. This either stretches out or eliminates the stresses that cause the problems.

15. kenkamm

kenkamm Member

I'd be happy to.

16. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... Columbus, Ohio is top-notch and we are close to the east coast. Now, you west-coasters have Denver bringing you down. Go take care of them before you start ragging on the east coast. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by AnOutsider viewpost-right.png
    :smile:

I will admit that one should not have to post on here in order to get something done. There are a lot of things going on in every service center. I don't want to make-up excuses, but I find it hard to believe they flat out refused service on a clearly bad drive-unit. And by 'bad', it could simply be out of spec, but that is still unacceptable since it didn't always do that.

1: Perhaps it is just some SCs that are not up to snuf. As a heavy investor (for me), I am happy to hear this.
    2: I actually posted a question about my aforementioned Pano problem and Tesla looked up my VIN from my signature, found me and emailed me about bringing the car in for service. I had not called them yet. Now, THAT is service. I was stunned.

17. Sparky

Sparky Member

Still love this car after 30mos but, my milling noise seems worse than the video. At slow speeds, it's almost a power-steering screech and a bad advertisement for the quiet power of an EV.
    Also have a tolerable "drone" but recently developed a slight clunking. During my last annual service, the Van Nuys SC explained the noise was "within tolerance".
    Perhaps there's no geographical correlation with service attentiveness.
    I recently completed a 700 mi trip and now the milling is noticeably worse. Two emails so far to Van Nuys SC asking them to schedule another visit to look at this again.
    Crickets.
    I have a cross country trip coming up in Nov and each day am a little more concerned about the car dying somewhere on the way.
    I guess I'll try getting someone on the phone next.

18. kort677

kort677 Banned

FWIW: it took a lot of effort for me to get the drive unit replaced, only after moving up the chain of command at Tesla did the service center begin to make the proper moves in order for them to get the problem attended to. It is a shame that sometimes you need to become that "squeaky wheel" in order to make people do their job properly but if that is what it takes that is what has to be done. Congrats to the OP and hopefully the mother ship will get ALL the satellites into proper orbit so people don't need to go through an ordeal to have a very common and well known issue resolved.

19. GSP

GSP Member

This theory of failure suggests the bearings were undersized for the thrust loads, or perhaps a bearing manufacturing quality problem.

It also suggests that owners can prolong life by accelerating gently, with perhaps occasional hard acceleration events. Reality can often be more complicated, but this theory sounds likely, to me at least.

GSP

PS. It also suggests that Yobigd20, with about 4-5 drive units replaced so far, is a hard driver. Who would have guessed? LOL. Nothing wrong with that, of course. :smile:

20. hpham007

hpham007 Banned

Maybe if we keep bumping this thread up, you'll get a phone call from a SC like the op did.

:smile: