Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved on Day 15] New Solar/PW only ran for 5 days - TESLA completely non-responsive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is definitely not good. My install date is Oct. 21, 2019. About the same system as I you based on Price. 39 panel's and 2 power walls.

My post install customer experience is similar to @JayClark. I think it took 4 months to get techs onsite when I had an issue. My system wasn’t completely down, but it was under performing enough that I was going to need the performance guarantee. I have another problem now that I am trying to get them to look at, but I haven’t made any headway. Gotta wait until my system performance drops enough for them to acknowledge there might be a problem which will take a few months. They have told me in the past they don’t worry about systems until they get down to 50% performance.

If I was doing it all over again, I would NOT buy from Tesla Energy. I would have paid the cancellation fee on the contract and gone with a local installer (who could do Powerwalls).

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Depending on the system design it could take more than 4 hrs to fully discharge the capacitors. Solaredge (or someone knowledgable on here) s/b able to let you know. One of the dimmer systems we use to use would normally discharge in about 10 minutes but under some circumstances would take about 30 hrs.

Thanks for posting BTW. This, along with numerous similar reports, does give pause to considering doing business w/ Tesla Energy.

Need to tweet Elon over and over until all of these company-wide issues get dealt with?

Last edited:
SolarEdge can definitely test it and confirm that the inverter needs to be replaced, they did this once for me. It looks like there is a bad run of inverters, since that error does indeed mean it needs to be replaced. Tesla then needs to order it and that took three weeks for mine.

I have no idea what they are waiting for as the error message is concrete and they have documentation on the issue. But check with SolarEdge to get confirmation and then call Tesla Energy back to tell them that.

Reactions: JayClark
So a word of caution when purchasing from Tesla just based on my experience so far. I was a happy Tesla Solar and PW customer for about 6 days after my installation. However, for the last 5 days the solar inverter is not generating power and throwing an error, and Tesla is completely non-responsive while I pay high demand charges that require the solar (and solar charging of the PWs) to avoid.

The day solar first stopped producing I reported the issue through Tesla support, and through my installation contact. Everybody is friendly on the phone but completely unhelpful in regard to getting any observable activity toward solving the problem. After 5 days no site visits or call from actual technical support.

So buyers beware of this company. I’ll report when there is progress, but so far no amount of escalation and daily calls and follow-up emails on my end have made any difference. I do not consider this company trustworthy or reliable - and at this point I have a nearly $50k piece of $h!t product from Tesla that is actually costing me money every single day.
If I was doing it all over again, I would NOT buy from Tesla Energy. I would have paid the cancellation fee on the contract and gone with a local installer (who could do Powerwalls).

I completely agree, at this point I would NOT buy from Tesla Energy. I would go with a local company/installer that can still install Powerwalls, where the company cares about the local community, and cares about their own reputation.

Tesla clearly does not care about either in any demonstrable manner. I just got off the phone again with Support (probably about my 8th call), and there was zero update on my case. The same message from Tesla support, I'll call somebody and let you know. I.e. don't call us, we'll call you, and then they don't. Again, this is a brand new solar install that only functioned for about 5 days, and now has been non-functional going on 7 days now, with zero motion or sense of urgency, or sense of meaningful care of any kind, from Tesla.

So a word of caution when purchasing from Tesla just based on my experience so far. I was a happy Tesla Solar and PW customer for about 6 days after my installation. However, for the last 5 days the solar inverter is not generating power and throwing an error, and Tesla is completely non-responsive while I pay high demand charges that require the solar (and solar charging of the PWs) to avoid.

The day solar first stopped producing I reported the issue through Tesla support, and through my installation contact. Everybody is friendly on the phone but completely unhelpful in regard to getting any observable activity toward solving the problem. After 5 days no site visits or call from actual technical support.

So buyers beware of this company. I’ll report when there is progress, but so far no amount of escalation and daily calls and follow-up emails on my end have made any difference. I do not consider this company trustworthy or reliable - and at this point I have a nearly $50k piece of $h!t product from Tesla that is actually costing me money every single day.
Just wondering...what dates did you have your system inspected and receive PTO?

Just wondering...what dates did you have your system inspected and receive PTO?

On Friday Sept. 27th the system was inspected commissioned with meters installed by my utility. Monday the 30th was the first time the system was fully active and powering the house (not just charging PWs). Tuesday the 8th it produced no power, and has not produced power since.

Time to chime in the Better Business Bureau

Agreed.

Day 8 - Problem still not resolved, no apparent progress or useful communication from Tesla on status and next steps.

The lack of care or desire to make any actual progress on this issue on the part of Tesla is just mind boggling. All I can figure is they essentially are the only game in town with such a relatively good solution (my issue excepted here obviously) so people will gravitate toward installing these through Tesla not really realizing like me that local solar installers can get access to the Powerwalls also. Although, I've read some pretty bad stories about how tough those systems are to get up and running at times on Telsa's app when installed by 3rd parties, and the problems those installs run into - so again I don't think Tesla supports or trains the 3rd party installers very well either.

Anyway, the net effect is that that they don't have to actually care abut their customers once they have our money.

I received an email from somebody in support saying they are now my contact going forward for information on this issue, but it's a person I've already talked to, that could tell me nothing about next steps and/or timing - and the email provided absolutely zero information other than providing a contact name I already had. I'll wait a day (I called yesterday), and will call them again tomorrow, and most likely get the same non-information.

In the mean doing what I can to record with with BBB, and on forums like this to let people know and hopefully purchase with the facts about what can happen should they need support.

Last edited:
My 3rd party Solar/powerwall installer, did great at first, then about 8 months later I needed some help. Many calls to the company and emails, with no reply.

I then went to BBB and posted a real negative post, that got the attention I needed. BBB called me, and the vendor called. Finally got it fixed.

But they are still a non responsive 3rd party vendor.

Good luck

BTW... By order is showing Delta Inverters in stead of SolarEdge that the OP is using. As long as it works well I am ok but I think SolarEdge is supposed to be better?

Another reason why I have been saying in these forums that I do not recommend Tesla PV. You never know what you’re going to get in terms of hardware. And with the recent price reductions and rental business, more likely than ever before, you’ll be getting lower quality stuff such as Hanhwa Q panels and now this Delta inverter.

But, of course, there will always be people buying from Tesla just because it’s Tesla.

Another reason why I have been saying in these forums that I do not recommend Tesla PV. You never know what you’re going to get in terms of hardware. And with the recent price reductions and rental business, more likely than ever before, you’ll be getting lower quality stuff such as Hanhwa Q panels and now this Delta inverter.

But, of course, there will always be people buying from Tesla just because it’s Tesla.
We haven't had any major issues with our system and continue to recommend Tesla Energy for solar. When we've had questions, Tesla has been responsive and sent a tech out if needed.

The equipment we got was clearly listed in the contract so we knew exactly what equipment they'd be using for our system. We were offered different panels and allowed to choose which ones we wanted. We opted for the US made panels with the longer warranty. We received Delta inverters and they are all working fine. The OP reported his problems are with the SolarEdge inverter.

We've contacted Tesla about expanding our system and will report back if we aren't able to choose the hardware or are not informed of the hardware to be used before installation.

One correctly, was looking at the Tesla App, I was traveling when the system was commissioned, so it actually was functional for about two weeks, not one week as I indicated in the initial post. I don't seem to have any way to
We haven't had any major issues with our system and continue to recommend Tesla Energy for solar. When we've had questions, Tesla has been responsive and sent a tech out if needed.

The equipment we got was clearly listed in the contract so we knew exactly what equipment they'd be using for our system. We were offered different panels and allowed to choose which ones we wanted. We opted for the US made panels with the longer warranty. We received Delta inverters and they are all working fine. The OP reported his problems are with the SolarEdge inverter.

We've contacted Tesla about expanding our system and will report back if we aren't able to choose the hardware or are not informed of the hardware to be used before installation.

I have to admit, I was very pleased with my system... for the first two weeks, until October 8th when the system failed. The system was doing everything I had hoped. However, the real test is when something serious goes wrong. In my case the the moment I had a real issue, and while they will answer the support phone line, it's like a wall of crickets from Tesla in terms of anything informative toward a solution - and this appears to be pretty common when it's anything other than user error or user training needing to be addressed. i.e. when it's something they contractually should be addressing on their end.

My system issue is actually a pretty straight forward, the error message clearly indicates the SolarEdge inverter needs to be replaced, the job of replacing it takes about an hour - but total silence from Tesla on actually taking care of the issue on this system that failed after only two weeks - and they owned the whole install package from start to finish. Oh, well, they did hint at one point, that some times these things take many months to resolve, but had no ETA for me at the moment!

Now it produces zero solar since October 8th, and I have four dead Powerwalls, I'm stuck on the Solar plan with high demand charges occurring every day.

Oh, and to be clear, don't communicate any significant frustration, because they will record it in their support system notes. The last support person I contacted while not able to help me at all, did read back to me some of the notes that earlier support people recorded indicating I was a very angry and unreasonable person, yet there evidently was no documentation to date, after a week, of any actions on Tesla's part, from any of the service people, that anybody was taking to follow-up or address my system issue. And this was after about 7 or so calls to support over the course of a week, to follow-up and to try and get information on what Tesla would be doing to resolve the issue on this brand new system. The only reason for 7 calls was because with each subsequent call, they seemed to have no record of any action or follow-up from the previous call - so each call was like starting over. So I'd call the next day just to make sure that it seemed to be going somewhere, but it was like starting over each time.

I have not communicated any differently to them than I have in this forum, and in fact attempted to communicate with Tesla for a week before posting here, and before filing a complaint with the BBB. My being angry and unreasonable was evidently what I was when asking to speak to a supervisor to see if a supervisor could provide more detailed information (or any information) on "who, what, and when" in regard to resolving my down system that had now sat unaddressed after a full week, and after many follow-up calls.

I work with a company that builds product, and does phone support on those products, and have managed some of these groups. Never though have we refused to give the customer information, next steps, and ETAs for those next steps, even as we start to diagnose the issue. I'm fairly well versed on how to approach support people to have the best chance to get helped, and non of this is of use with Tesla as they don't seem to even be able to mange themselves and their work internally.

After talking to their support now via multiple Tesla employees, I get the impression they don't actually have a support workflow tool, or a system of formally assigning or tracking reported issues through to assigned employees, and then measuring performance for the issue owners against the issue assignment date, type, severity, etc. If they have such a tool they don't seem to be using it for accountable tracking. This is fundamental to even the most basic support systems, and they seem to be managing workflow on these issues by sending emails in a broadcast manner, and if nobody picks it up, it goes nowhere, until the customer calls back asking where it's at, and then things start over. If you are lucky, somebody that received the broadcast takes interest, and decides to work on it. So far, evidently, I have not been lucky and maybe worse, black listed informally or otherwise. On my last support call, the kind support person assured me she had now copied close to 7 different people (including two managers) on the broadcast email she was about to send out for me "...while she had me on the phone". I was not assured.

So another word of caution, be nicer than you reasonable should have to be when calling Tesla support with issues - even when they are completely non-performing on their end.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I’ve still been told we can’t expand our system. It would have to be a totally separate add-on system. Which is insane. Elon just retweeted a few days ago that they would be allowing expansions in a year or so, I believe.

No idea what’s so hard about swapping the inverter and adding panels if we’re paying for it.

I’ve still been told we can’t expand our system. It would have to be a totally separate add-on system. Which is insane. Elon just retweeted a few days ago that they would be allowing expansions in a year or so, I believe.

No idea what’s so hard about swapping the inverter and adding panels if we’re paying for it.
When we had another Powerwall installed a couple weeks ago, they said we could easily add another array. They would just need to add a dozen panels, another inverter and tie it into the other panels that they installed last year.

In poking around a bit, it appears that the errors 18xB7 through 18xB9 are reportedly caused by a capacitor failure on the SolarEdge inverter - the number 7-9 apparently identifying something specific in the circuitry. One such place where this is discussed is here:

2 months old SolarEdge inverter bites the dust. Anyone had this error before? Installer replacing with a new one tomorrow : solar

A caveat: It would seem that depending on the model/firmware that the same error code on SolarEdge inverters can mean different things - but this same issue was noted by others. The "fix" was replacement of the entire inverter. While a few people reported that a complete power cycle (disconnection of DC and AC and allowing internal capacitors to discharge for an hour or so) it seems as though you already tried that.

Taking this at face value, it looks like the failure of the Solar inverter rather than having to do with the Powerwall - but that still doesn't excuse a lack of response.

CT

I had a SolarEdge 6000HD die with a 18xBC code at the beginning of June. Mine was similar to the model here with the display and 4 buttons. My installers responded immediately to my call, had SolarEdge remote in, and confirm a dead box, all within 15 minutes of me noticing the issue, and SE authorized a RMA.

The problem was that SE has changed models to a new screenless version (with app-based config, and it took a month to get them to ship a new box. My installer was fantastic, SE was the problem. At one point, they asked me to call SE and see if I had better luck...I called, and was thoroughly unimpressed with SE.

I’ve been up now for 3.5 months with the new inverter, all seems well, but I do miss the display...

I had a SolarEdge 6000HD die with a 18xBC code at the beginning of June. Mine was similar to the model here with the display and 4 buttons. My installers responded immediately to my call, had SolarEdge remote in, and confirm a dead box, all within 15 minutes of me noticing the issue, and SE authorized a RMA.

The problem was that SE has changed models to a new screenless version (with app-based config, and it took a month to get them to ship a new box. My installer was fantastic, SE was the problem. At one point, they asked me to call SE and see if I had better luck...I called, and was thoroughly unimpressed with SE.

I’ve been up now for 3.5 months with the new inverter, all seems well, but I do miss the display...

Forgot to add that my old SE inverter was installed in April 2018, so it ran 13 months before it died. The timeline is consistent with the Reddit link earlier in this thread.

Are the solar people licensed contractors? If so report to the contractord licensing board. They don't seem to do much IME but if they get enough complaints maybe they will. Not having a license to do your job could have a chilling effect

Oh, and to be clear, don't communicate any significant frustration, because they will record it in their support system notes.
I was warned about this by another Tesla employee who was clearly unhappy with the immaturity of many of the people he worked with and said that customers can quickly get effectively blackballed.

Twice in my career I've had customer service groups under me. It is important to keep notes like this about customers but CS folks have to be intelligent/reasonable about it. We did a lot of training on dealing with customers and on recognizing legitimate frustration vs PITA folks. With PITA's it wasn't a case of blackballing them but in knowing how to deal with them, not over-reacting to them and knowing that the majority of them were actually quite reasonable and would blow up (often for understandable frustration with us) and then often apologize and frequently be some of the easiest people to deal with.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Are the solar people licensed contractors? If so report to the contractord licensing board. They don't seem to do much IME but if they get enough complaints maybe they will. Not having a license to do your job could have a chilling effect

Good question. I will say the installers were very professional, and willing to answer questions and take my guidance on locations and some cosmetic aspects of the install. So I really don't have complaints about them. It's now post install, and Tesla won't call those same installation team members back in to deal with my issue - so it's on the Tesla Support and Service process & workflow side of things where they are simply uncaring and unresponsive about this brand new install that is not functioning.

I did do a "negative" but truthful review on the BBB site spelling out the basic facts and filed a complaint explaining my situation. Fun fact, if you record a "review" on the BBB site, they will reject any formal corresponding complaint. They allow one or the other, but not both. So now I need to figure out how to delete or remove the review so I can file the actual complaint. All new to me, so just figuring my way through this stuff.

This is all so discouraging, because when the system was running it was extremely effective and really exceeded my expectations, and the "Tesla" parts of they system work amazing well. I want to tell the praises of this system, but man, this situation is like being punched in the face by Tesla within days of them taking a very large sum of my money. Hard to speak well of them.

It's now post install, and Tesla won't call those same installation team members back in to deal with my issue - so it's on the Tesla Support and Service process & workflow side of things where they are simply uncaring and unresponsive about this brand new install that is not functioning.

I could only hope that they have ordered a replacement inverter from SolarEdge and are just really poor at communicating. (It sounds like SolarEdge is slow on warranty replacements.)