Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Picked up my model 3, 2 hours later I get a low coolant warning ... :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not exactly the same thing, but I get an alert on my screen every few days that the windshield wash fluid is low (it is not), and at the same time I get a brake warning icon on the top of the display on the left. These two alerts come and go together. I took it in for service because of the brake warning. They had the car for a few days, said they didn't see it, and updated the software. On the way home, the warnings came back on. Grrr.....
These sensor warnings events aren't logged by the Tesla's software? I find that kinda surprising. At the least you'd think they'd be able to turn warning indicator logging on.

UPDATE
Great news! It was just slightly low on coolant! Reason why it would turn off the warning when turning left is that the sensor is on the right side of the tank.

I asked why it was low on coolant and basically they said they fill them up in CA before being shipped, it's warmer there so when it got here, the coolant may have contracted just a tad. I'm hoping that's really all that is an issue with the cooling system.

Service has been A+, 10/10. Great people here at the Westmont, IL store.

UPDATE
Great news! It was just slightly low on coolant! Reason why it would turn off the warning when turning left is that the sensor is on the right side of the tank.

I asked why it was low on coolant and basically they said they fill them up in CA before being shipped, it's warmer there so when it got here, the coolant may have contracted just a tad. I'm hoping that's really all that is an issue with the cooling system.

Service has been A+, 10/10. Great people here at the Westmont, IL store.
That reeks of a "sunspots" explanation. Pure water at 20C taken to it's maximum density of 4C (right before it "puffs up" as it starts to freeze) will shrink maybe 0.05%. Effectively unnoticeable in this situation, no way they are filling to that intended tolerance above where the system throws an error. I find it highly doubtful that antifreeze additive would be chosen that created a meaningfully higher expansion coefficient than pure water.

Fremont didn't fill it up enough. Probably the bubbles not properly purged as many others have mentioned, and either the SC skipped/botched the check they were supposed to do when it arrived, Tesla's hand-over process is flawed as designed, or somehow the bubbles persisted stuck in the system until after you took deliver. The system heating with use would increase the bubble volume, because a gas volume increases far more rapidly than a liquid's, and make it more likely to get pushed out by fluid flow.

Last edited:
Fremont didn't fill it up enough. Probably the bubbles not properly purged as many others have mentioned, and either the SC skipped/botched the check they were supposed to do when it arrived

Yea that's my guess too. I also noticed my tires were around 39PSI each, and when I left today they had topped them off to 44 - 45. So maybe Highland Park, IL Service Center really rushed to get my car out the door. Either way, I'm happy with the quick resolution.

Yea that's my guess too. I also noticed my tires were around 39PSI each, and when I left today they had topped them off to 44 - 45. So maybe Highland Park, IL Service Center really rushed to get my car out the door. Either way, I'm happy with the quick resolution.

I'm surprised because HP service has been outstanding for me. For my S they did a great job running through the car and checking it all out before I took delivery. I wonder if they were only taking left turns until you got it :D

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
I'm surprised because HP service has been outstanding for me. For my S they did a great job running through the car and checking it all out before I took delivery. I wonder if they were only taking left turns until you got it :D
Who knows, I thought this was all very odd too. Especially since they asked for an extra day to make sure everything was inspected. I was initially supposed to pick it up on Friday but they pushed it back to Saturday. I'd rather they have told me they needed yet another day, and push it to Monday, than this happen.

Who knows, I thought this was all very odd too. Especially since they asked for an extra day to make sure everything was inspected. I was initially supposed to pick it up on Friday but they pushed it back to Saturday. I'd rather they have told me they needed yet another day, and push it to Monday, than this happen.

I agree, wasted time is unfortunate for everyone. They have a test track where they run the car around and they inspect it (at least that is how it was in December 2016). With a new model, I'd think the testing and Q&A would be even higher but Fremont often uses Service Centers to perform end of line Q&A which is unfortunate as things slip through the cracks and customers have to be the one to pick up the pieces.

Hopefully that is your only issue. I only had 2 issues on delivery (both very minor) and once those were sorted out I've been able to avoid the service center for over a year now (other than annual service).

I think you're onto something. The Chicago delivery centers do all their test drives at Chicagoland Speedway. As Bubba J says, "They're doing another left turn!" ;)

So....one has to take it to the Service Center to refill coolant?

According to the manual, yes.

693DB0E3-2F8D-406B-992E-F68DD35173F3.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Are any of those fluid replacement services included or $500?
I would think they would charge for the replacement service. However, probably no charge if they only have to “top off” fluids any other time. I’d be interested to see how much the extended warranty and service agreements will be.
FromTesla for MS & MX: Maintenance Plans | Model S and Model X

Last edited:
Not exactly the same thing, but I get an alert on my screen every few days that the windshield wash fluid is low (it is not), and at the same time I get a brake warning icon on the top of the display on the left. These two alerts come and go together. I took it in for service because of the brake warning. They had the car for a few days, said they didn't see it, and updated the software. On the way home, the warnings came back on. Grrr.....
Hey Randy,

I just got the same two simultaneous warnings as you. Any more info on the cause?

An update to my situation. I've had this windshield washer fluid alarm in the past. It used to be a lot more frequent, but has dwindled down to maybe once every week or two. I had it checked before, and nothing could be found. Seemed like a false alarm.

I received an email recently from someone at Tesla Service in Fremont, saying they've been monitoring my car and they see the alarm. So they said I should make another service appointment and have it looked at. I did, and the Service Advisor told me that they worked with Fremont to do some inspections of the wiring and sensors and all looked good. They were thinking at this time that the issue is a firmware issue, and they would be working on it from that angle. The alarm rarely happens now, but I feel better because they've looked at it and don't see any physical issues....

Reactions: F_T_K