Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resolved! Ranger Service for Due Bill Items

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
UPDATE: "We are no longer charging Ranger fees for due bill items."

When I picked up my car in Toronto they didn't have the tool for setting up the TPMS for the winter wheels. Apparently the tool had gone to Montreal for that delivery event and the replacement hadn't arrived. I was told, "No problem (my ranger) will drop by and fix that on his way to Montreal." He did so last night.

Today I got a $100 invoice from Tesla for Ranger service. I complained on the following basis:

#1 - It was on my due bill at delivery. This is Tesla's responsibility.

#2 - I'm opting for the "anywhere" service plan. Just because I haven't been afforded the opportunity to buy it yet doesn't mean I shouldn't get the service.

I got the following response:

I fully understand your position and your statement.
We have been directed to collect the fee from everyone regardless of the situation.
When the program becomes available for purchase we will be deducting the $100.00 from the purchase price of the plan.
This is standard practice across Tesla at this time.

I'm okay with this given that they'll deduct it from the service plan price, but IMHO it's bad form (a) to charge for fixing something on the due bill at delivery, especially when it was caused solely by logistical problems at Tesla, and (b) not to inform me of the policy at the time.

Last edited:
At least us forum go-ers now know what to expect...

When I picked up my car in Toronto they didn't have the tool for setting up the TPMS for the winter wheels. Apparently the tool had gone to Montreal for that delivery event and the replacement hadn't arrived. I was told, "No problem (my ranger) will drop by and fix that on his way to Montreal." He did so last night.

Today I got a $100 invoice from Tesla for Ranger service. I complained on the following basis:

I got the following response:

I'm okay with this given that they'll deduct it from the service plan price, but IMHO it's bad form (a) to charge for fixing something on the due bill at delivery, especially when it was caused solely by logistical problems at Tesla, and (b) not to inform me of the policy at the time.

Being so close to the Service Center, this is less of an issue for me, however, I agree this is bad form and further believe you should not be charged the $100 Ranger Fee regardless of whether you intend to buy the Plan or not. Your car was delivered with a "problem" that should have been dealt with on or before delivery and the customer shouldn't be made to pay for the follow-up that was only required due to this issue.

This reminds me of how Zapped had his car dropped off like a FedEx package in Edmonton and had to unwrap it himself in spite of having paid $990 for Personal Delivery and $180 for Inspection and Prep. Now I believe Zapped didn't seem to mind, but that kinda seems like bad form to me as well.

I would not accept that, as it should have been resolved upon delivery.

Just for reference, after I got my car home from the factory I discovered the A/C wasn't working. Tesla picked the car up from my office the following week, took it to Menlo Park and brought it back to me the next day repaired (bad O-Ring). There was no charge for this service, as it was a factory defect which should have been caught before I picked it up.

It probably helps that I am 40 miles from the factory, but you should be treated the same way.

Aaron

This is not the Tesla service we've all been told to expect. Reminds me of the whole $35 for the HPWC shipping since it wasn't available at the time the car came. Well, is that our fault? Is $35 or $100 worth the satisfaction of customers who have put up with a lot in these early days?

Today I got a $100 invoice from Tesla for Ranger service.

Unacceptable. They were basically completing one of the last manufacturing steps that wasn't done due to no fault of yours, inconveniencing you (your car had to be there, right?). They also note that they'll do it 'on the way to Montreal', so you accommodated their schedule.

The decision to charge you was a mistake. I can see it if it was a Ranger visit that would normally be covered under warranty, saying if you bought the plan later, the money would be deducted. But this was a required step to deliver the car 'whole' to you. There should be no charge.

Someone misinterpreted the directive, I'm sure. Push back!

Once again, another "communication" problem for Tesla. Since when was that policy ever relayed to its customers? You can't place the policy in effect after the fact. If Tesla expects me to pay a single cent for any of my due bill items, they have another thing coming.

I understand that Tesla probably needs to see some cash flow in the service area since it is opening up many service centers which no doubt costs money, but to charge $100 for a due bill item is preposterous. And then after being challenged, coming up with the $100-will-be-deducted-from-your-service-plan answer is dubious at best. If that is indeed the policy, why weren't customers informed of it beforehand?

The car is wonderful. There are some quirks, but nothing unbearable. The unbearable is continually seeing how Tesla screws up customer service. It is a disturbing trend, and it appears to be Tesla's Achilles Heel. Time and again we find out about absolutely horrid Tesla service stories - situations most people wouldn't put up with from any car manufacturer especially at the luxury end of the spectrum.

Once again, another "communication" problem for Tesla. Since when was that policy ever relayed to its customers? You can't place the policy in effect after the fact. If Tesla expects me to pay a single cent for any of my due bill items, they have another thing coming.

I understand that Tesla probably needs to see some cash flow in the service area since it is opening up many service centers which no doubt costs money, but to charge $100 for a due bill item is preposterous. And then after being challenged, coming up with the $100-will-be-deducted-from-your-service-plan answer is dubious at best. If that is indeed the policy, why weren't customers informed of it beforehand?

The car is wonderful. There are some quirks, but nothing unbearable. The unbearable is continually seeing how Tesla screws up customer service. It is a disturbing trend, and it appears to be Tesla's Achilles Heel. Time and again we find out about absolutely horrid Tesla service stories - situations most people wouldn't put up with from any car manufacturer especially at the luxury end of the spectrum.

Ummm, time and time again we also hear about spectacular service stories. Let's keep this in perspective. That's why I recommended that Doug push back. It makes total sense for Tesla to charge for routine Ranger visits right now and then deduct monies paid if the plan is purchased. I believe this was a misinterpretation of a directive. Let's not damn Tesla quite yet.

It makes sense to charge for something that should be done before the car is even delivered? This isn't something that broke and needs fixing, this is like not putting seats in and charging you for them later.

I know there are a ton of Tesla cheerleaders on this forum, but we consistently heard about how Tesla was going to be different and not be the same as other car companies, so far I haven't seen any proof of that.

Ummm, time and time again we also hear about spectacular service stories. Let's keep this in perspective. That's why I recommended that Doug push back. It makes total sense for Tesla to charge for routine Ranger visits right now and then deduct monies paid if the plan is purchased. I believe this was a misinterpretation of a directive. Let's not damn Tesla quite yet.

He did push back after he was wrongly charged for a due bill item. Then he got the we'll-deduct-it-out-of-your-service-plan answer. How much more force does he need to push back with? He shouldn't have to push back with anything further. It is just wrong.

He did push back after he was wrongly charged for a due bill item. Then he got the we'll-deduct-it-out-of-your-service-plan answer. How much more force does he need to push back with? He shouldn't have to push back with anything further. It is just wrong.

Yes, I believe I already stated it was wrong. I'm questioning damning the entire company, one with a great customer service record, over what may be a misunderstanding by the person who responded to Doug.

Stating "time and again we find out about absolutely horrid Tesla service stories" without mentioning the other end of the spectrum seemed a bit unnecessarily dramatic. (Oh hey, we have a thread on actual service stories: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/10137-Actual-Service-Experiences-with-Tesla . Let's start there.)

That's why I recommended that Doug push back. It makes total sense for Tesla to charge for routine Ranger visits right now and then deduct monies paid if the plan is purchased. I believe this was a misinterpretation of a directive. Let's not damn Tesla quite yet.

This is preposterous. He paid for dealer prep, received what to any reasonable human being would be an unprepped vehicle, and to top it off is being charged again for what?? Lol

I'm sorry, the truth is that while Tesla created an unprescendented car, they seem to have hired a bunch of ex-walmart greeters for their bean counting and marketing department.

This is preposterous. He paid for dealer prep, received what to any reasonable human being would be an unprepped vehicle, and to top it off is being charged again for what?? Lol

I'm sorry, the truth is that while Tesla created an unprescendented car, they seem to have hired a bunch of ex-walmart greeters for their bean counting and marketing department.

I think you misread my response. I did not say I thought he should be charged.

So, is this a new different car company? Sounds like all the other companies out there, nickel and dime.

Looks like Tesla is going to nickel and dime customers, but no more than any other automobile company. You just have to go to any automobile website and see what is extra. (I went through Porsche's website last night and everything is extra.) In this case, however, the charge is simply infuriating. Tesla falls short and charges customer! Nice philosophy.

Last edited: