Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resolved: second row crash test doubts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear all,

Tesla asked that I post the following statement on their behalf:

Tesla and NHTSA confirm that significant lifting of the second row seat pan upon impact as seen in the video of NCAP frontal crash testing is not a normal occurrence on Model S. Instead, this anomaly is due to the placement and installation of sensors, cables, cameras and other test equipment used to document the NCAP testing. During this process, the test facility partially removed the second row seat pan and did not fully reinstall it. This partial removal had no effect whatsoever on NHTSA’s NCAP test results. Normally, under non-testing conditions, the Model S second row seat is locked into place with a series of clips and fasteners. The second row seat pan will not lift in the event of a crash.

If this is legit, awesome, awesome customer service.

Much appreciated.

These video are totally amazing !!!!
I ordered a model S some week ago, and security was absolutely not my first concern, I have not even looked to see if the model S had crash test done.
I am very very impressed by these video, IMHO these car is very the better car ever build until now !
- Powerfull
- Electric
- Range
- Beautiful
- And now, very safe (thank to the front deformation zone and the battery pack in the floor !)

Re: THE BIG BACKSEAT CONTROVERSY

When my kids "graduated" from child seats to booster seats, the booster seat was required for the express purpose of ensuring the seatbelt was properly positioned to restrain them. The booster seat (like all booster seats) was NOT fastened to the vehicle in any way. Even *IF* the backseat became dislodged (which I'm sure there is a good explanation for) it would not be any less safe or relevant than an unsecured booster seat.

I have 2 child and I totally agree, this "flying" backseat on the video is absolutely not an issue or a security concern. I am absolutely sure my two children will sit on the backseat of the safest car possible !
Because we can clearly see that the backseat doesn't go forward during the impact, but just rotates on its front axles and jump upwards at the end of the impact.
My actual backseat in my car will probably do exactly the same because there is no clips to prevent forward rotation, and when rotated it can be unclipped very easily from its front axles.

If there were someone sit and attached in the backseat, the backseat would not move an inch !

These video are totally amazing !!!!
I ordered a model S some week ago, and security was absolutely not my first concern, I have not even looked to see if the model S had crash test done.
I am very very impressed by these video, IMHO these car is very the better car ever build until now !
- Powerfull
- Electric
- Range
- Beautiful
- And now, very safe (thank to the front deformation zone and the battery pack in the floor !)

I have 2 child and I totally agree, this "flying" backseat on the video is absolutely not an issue or a security concern. I am absolutely sure my two children will sit on the backseat of the safest car possible !
Because we can clearly see that the backseat doesn't go forward during the impact, but just rotates on its front axles and jump upwards at the end of the impact.
My actual backseat in my car will probably do exactly the same because there is no clips to prevent forward rotation, and when rotated it can be unclipped very easily from its front axles.

If there were someone sit and attached in the backseat, the backseat would not move an inch !

See the statement from Tesla. This is no longer a concern, to the extent it ever was. Carry on :)

Jeez, people, I'm getting concerned.

I came here this morning and firstly read the brake pedal thread
The brake pedal
where a new poster was jumped on and insulted on his first post.

Second thread I read was this one where the same thing happens to the new guy legitimately questioning why the back seat is flying around the car during the crash test video. Then, MPT (who was just up on the stage at TESLIVE as one of the earliest members of this board) posts the official response from Tesla and gets the legitimacy of his post questioned.

Good grief.

Ok, this is off-topic to this thread, mods feel free to move wherever appropriate, but I'm getting concerned. If we treat all visitors to our door as axe-murders, pretty soon nobody is gonna come visit. How about we start to give people a break and consider that they might have a dissenting view? How about we give people the benefit of the doubt and start to welcome and engage with them?

When I meet someone on the street who starts a discussion on coal in the electricity mix, for example, I try to engage in the discussion and put forward my dissenting view of the realities of today and optimism for the future. I don't call them a shorter, insult them, and pretty much tell them to frack off.

To the two new members I mentioned, I hope you won't take the responses of the few to be indicative of the views and behavior of the many here. Please stick around and post your views and questions - positive or negative. I, for one, enjoy reading both sides of a discussion.

The brake pedal

Second thread I read was this one where the same thing happens to the new guy legitimately questioning why the back seat is flying around the car during the crash test video. Then, MPT (who was just up on the stage at TESLIVE as one of the earliest members of this board) posts the official response from Tesla and gets the legitimacy of his post questioned.

Good grief.

Ok, this is off-topic to this thread, mods feel free to move wherever appropriate, but I'm getting concerned. If we treat all visitors to our door as axe-murders, pretty soon nobody is gonna come visit. How about we start to give people a break and consider that they might have a dissenting view? How about we give people the benefit of the doubt and start to welcome and engage with them?

When I meet someone on the street who starts a discussion on coal in the electricity mix, for example, I try to engage in the discussion and put forward my dissenting view of the realities of today and optimism for the future. I don't call them a shorter, insult them, and pretty much tell them to frack off.

To the two new members I mentioned, I hope you won't take the responses of the few to be indicative of the views and behavior of the many here. Please stick around and post your views and questions - positive or negative. I, for one, enjoy reading both sides of a discussion.

My apologies for questioning the legitimacy of MPT's post. I haven't been around here long enough to know who is who quite yet. I'll learn!

I don't see why anyone should be concerned that someone asks for a source of a statement from Tesla.
That is simply making sure you are getting official information, not hearsay or rumors.

Understood, but really not the main point of my post (which was concerning the treatment of new members here).

I think the source was stated very clearly:
Tesla asked that we post the following statement on their behalf

It comes down to the general distrust that has grown on these forums in the past year or so. When a member with 5+ years on these forums and 1,500+ posts says "Tesla asked us to post this", I tend to believe them.

I think it is pretty amazing that Tesla got that statement out, in any form, so quickly.

Understood, but really not the main point of my post (which was concerning the treatment of new members here).

I think the source was stated very clearly:

It comes down to the general distrust that has grown on these forums in the past year or so. When a member with 5+ years on these forums and 1,500+ posts says "Tesla asked us to post this", I tend to believe them.

I think it is pretty amazing that Tesla got that statement out, in any form, so quickly.

We live in a world and times where a Tweet is taken as fact. Not saying they can't be, but the source of info is as important as the news itself these days. So, questioning a post by someone, anyone attributed to Tesla themselves is going to be met with some skepticism. I've been around for a long time and am on quite a bit, but I didn't know that MPT is a credible source for Tesla info. He's not listed as anything other than member of the forum.

If Elon had tweeted it and a post referenced it with link, then its verifiable (as his Twitter account is verified). but otherwise, just cuz someone says its from Tesla, doesnt mean its from Tesla.

But the rest of your point about not viewing all dissenters as shorts trolling to help themselves is a fair one.

The brake pedal

Good grief.

Thanks for posting this, Mark. Having been on the receiving end of such treatment myself before, I share your concern. To be fair I wasn't called a troll or a shorter-spy, just accused of unfairly criticizing Tesla.

I think there is a point where certain members think "Ok, this person clearly has an agenda. Let's get him/her out of here." and it needs to stop. Discussions can have dissenting opinions without one side riding the other out of town on a rail. Even when I find myself wholly opposed to someone's viewpoint, I always try to address what was said without resorting to ad hominem attacks.

Being a Tesla supporter certainly exposes one to more than their fair share of fallacies and undue criticism (I still can't believe how political the subject of electric cars is), but we must be careful not to root out the friends with the foes.

Last edited:
Where's Al Sherman with the group hug?! All's well that ends well.

It's good to question (I noted the flying seat bench very early on on this thread) and keep Tesla honest in the process. Love a company that listens and responds!

I can sense that some folks who may have a minor fortune invested in TSLA or who are justifiably worried about unwarranted bad publicity for Tesla may be a bit on edge but, overall, these forums have actually gotten richer with a much broader spectrum of members participating and contributing diverse views and insight when compared to just a couple of years ago.

We live in a world and times where a Tweet is taken as fact. Not saying they can't be, but the source of info is as important as the news itself these days. So, questioning a post by someone, anyone attributed to Tesla themselves is going to be met with some skepticism. I've been around for a long time and am on quite a bit, but I didn't know that MPT is a credible source for Tesla info. He's not listed as anything other than member of the forum.

If Elon had tweeted it and a post referenced it with link, then its verifiable (as his Twitter account is verified). but otherwise, just cuz someone says its from Tesla, doesnt mean its from Tesla.

But the rest of your point about not viewing all dissenters as shorts trolling to help themselves is a fair one.

MPT said very clearly "Tesla has asked us to post this", and then gave the statement. Maybe I can't see it, as I know who he is, but I really don't see where the confusion comes from. You either trust that someone with 5+ years and 1,500+ posts is not blatantly lying (or spreading rumours), or you don't. And you either give someone posting for the first time the benefit of the doubt, or you don't.

Anyway, I'll let it rest. It is a minor point, off topic, and detracts from the much bigger issue of how we welcome new people to these forums.

hmm..just read this over..did I just waste a whole bunch of electrons and pixels just to agree with Brianman? :wink:
Heh. It's ok. It's nice to read agreement every once in a while. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, this is off-topic to this thread, mods feel free to move wherever appropriate, but I'm getting concerned. If we treat all visitors to our door as ...
Concur. I've been noticing this trend as well. It started with "mean" but "somewhat impersonal" namecalling ("troll") and has progressed to deeper attacks. Collective chill pill is overdue.

Thanks all for the discussion on the validity of source information. My take-away is that I should preface information with who I am, how I received the information and why we consider it reliable. I also need to remind myself that our membership is skyrocketing and not everyone remembers the old guys who don't post so often!

On TMC, I'm MPT "My opinions are my own, blah, blah.", behind the forum I'm Michael Thwaite, member of TeslaMotorsClub LLC and occasional recipient of emails and calls from Tesla Motors, who, whilst we hold them up to scrutiny, have, in my experience, provided solid and well researched information/clarification. We tend to trust them first whilst we carry out our own 'sniff test'. We're here to promote Electric Vehicle adoption and to discuss Tesla Motors and their products however, we are also independent and are not officially affiliated with Tesla Motors so can always protect and publish the truth, good or bad. TeslaMotorsClub does not take an editorial stance on the comments posted by its members beyond that of ensuring an enjoyable read, free from abuse.

And now, back to our usual programming...

I can sense that some folks who may have a minor fortune invested in TSLA or who are justifiably worried about unwarranted bad publicity for Tesla may be a bit on edge but, overall, these forums have actually gotten richer with a much broader spectrum of members participating and contributing diverse views and insight when compared to just a couple of years ago.

I agree, and since we're now in the "Unfounded" thread I'll just add that I think it is just as bad for our user community when facts (or even opinions) are suppressed as it is when willful misinformation is propagated. (I do agree there needs to be a balance and think the Mods do a darned good job at it).