Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resolved: second row crash test doubts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you do not think "news", media, investors, Tesla watches these forums. Then you are sadly mistaken..

I will give you a great personal example..

A LARGE percentage of the members that participated in the Raptor Run from Barstow to Vegas, ended up bending the frames on their F150 Raptors. The information was posted in two Ford Raptor forums, the next thing you know it is everywhere.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/21/svt-boss-goes-on-record-about-ford-raptor-frame-damage-claims-w/

Ended up it was only a few over zealous owners that over drove their Raptor had issues. Now, anytime you mention Ford Raptor they say two things

1) what is a Ford Raptor
2) the truck with the weak frame..

If you do not think "news", media, investors, Tesla watches these forums. Then you are sadly mistaken..

I will give you a great personal example..

A LARGE percentage of the members that participated in the Raptor Run from Barstow to Vegas, ended up bending the frames on their F150 Raptors. The information was posted in two Ford Raptor forums, the next thing you know it is everywhere.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/21/svt-boss-goes-on-record-about-ford-raptor-frame-damage-claims-w/

Ended up it was only a few over zealous owners that over drove their Raptor had issues. Now, anytime you mention Ford Raptor they say two things

1) what is a Ford Raptor
2) the truck with the weak frame..

I love cars, read Jalopnik daily, and I've heard of this story. I doubt even 2% of the population know about it. How much do you think it actually affected the stock price? From June 10th until July 1st (the story was originally posted on the forum on June 11th), the shares were up 5%. If you're trying to make a significant change in a stock's price, you have to do a lot more than just make some claim that something messed up. You would have to provide a lot of proof. I've never seen a forum post have any affect on a stock price or wide-spread car opinion, unless there's typically so much evidence that it's almost certainly valid. As Tesla fans and owners, we need to be more friendly and welcoming. There's already a large enough stigma attached to EV's. We don't need to add the owners to that stigma if we want Tesla to succeed, as I'm sure all of us do.

For the record, I've seen some of the articles people are talking about that have used forum posts from here in the wrong context. I can see why people are putting the fine print in their signatures (though I'm not sure how well that'd hold up in court, but I'm no lawyer). I just don't think those articles have any lasting effect on the general populations memory.

I love cars, read Jalopnik daily, and I've heard of this story. I doubt even 2% of the population know about it. How much do you think it actually affected the stock price? From June 10th until July 1st (the story was originally posted on the forum on June 11th), the shares were up 5%. If you're trying to make a significant change in a stock's price, you have to do a lot more than just make some claim that something messed up. You would have to provide a lot of proof. I've never seen a forum post have any affect on a stock price or wide-spread car opinion, unless there's typically so much evidence that it's almost certainly valid. As Tesla fans and owners, we need to be more friendly and welcoming. There's already a large enough stigma attached to EV's. We don't need to add the owners to that stigma if we want Tesla to succeed, as I'm sure all of us do.

My boss at work got a Raptor. All day there were "Don't go 20 over a speed bump, your frame might get bent!" comments. Seemingly most people realized that bending the frame was an issue, but not quite the issue that it was made out to be.

My boss at work got a Raptor. All day there were "Don't go 20 over a speed bump, your frame might get bent!" comments. Seemingly most people realized that bending the frame was an issue, but not quite the issue that it was made out to be.

A good friend of mine has one and I've never heard anybody mention it to him and I live in the Southwest, probably the off-road truck capital of the US when it comes to that type of truck (which is more baja style than mudding style). That's just anecdotal evidence.

My point is with a company like Tesla a small negative story like the Raptor frame issue will picked up by the media. Anything with Tesla or Elon Musk is going to be news worthy.. Example being seeking alpha who has been pumping out negative stories about Tesla and getting 13,000-20,000+ views.

My point is with a company like Tesla a small negative story like the Raptor frame issue will picked up by the media. Anything with Tesla or Elon Musk is going to be news worthy.. Example being seeking alpha who has been pumping out negative stories about Tesla and getting 13,000-20,000+ views.

Even the Broder and the NYT didn't a significant or lasting effect on the stock. All I'm saying is new members with some dissenting viewpoint deserve more of a benefit of the doubt than some people here have been giving them. I'd argue an unwelcoming community has more effect on the future of Tesla than any single problem that's been posted here.

Even the Broder and the NYT didn't a significant or lasting effect on the stock. All I'm saying is new members with some dissenting viewpoint deserve more of a benefit of the doubt than some people here have been giving them. I'd argue an unwelcoming community has more effect on the future of Tesla than any single problem that's been posted here.

I agree.. The first post I posted on here I was called a troll..