Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Tesla offers 75kW battery replacement for $13K but then says its a 60kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S 2013 60kW battery died out of warranty. The nightmare every Tesla owner dreads. So I placed a Tesla service ticket and they quoted me $13K for a 75kWh replacement pack with 4 yrs or 50k miles warranty. I was actually pleasantly surprised since I thought the price was going to be around $20K and I would be getting a bigger pack. The Service person was very informative saying that I would get a bigger battery than my 60kW, that I would keep my unlimited supercharging and I would get about 15% more range, even clarified the pack will NOT be software capped at 60kw. etc. So he proceeded to confirm my option of 75kW replacement and I said go ahead.

2 days later, I get the official PDF statement with the battery quote of $13K but nowhere on the estimate said it was a 75kW or 60kW pack, so I asked in the chat to please add in the estimate that I was going to get the 75kW battery. The answer was that if the vehicle comes with a 75kw pack, then that’s what’s going to be replaced with. If not, then the battery will be a 60kW!! I told them that’s not what has been offered, in the same chat! I even sent the screenshots of the chat showing that in several statements I was being offered a 75kw pack. I still haven’t get any clarification. Is Tesla still making 60kW replacement packs? I understand those are not made anymore.

It’s very annoying that the chat is used by different service agents without saying their names, or even reading what the previous agent said. And every question takes 1 day to answer, even if you answer their questions immediately. I’m really hoping this is just a mistake by a new agent. Will keep you posted.

Reactions: kfly212
Wouldn't happen to be the Sunnyvale SC would it? LOL
I get that same thing with them. One response per day, and never know who is chatting.
Santa Clara guys were a bit better. They didn't ID themselves, but they did respond way more frequently.
I'd be very surprised if they are making 60kWh packs any more. Given that for a while they were selling S60 cars with 75kWh packs capped via software, you'd think that is what they would be doing here.
Best to just keep pushing on them.
I have found simply going down there in person to speak with the service advisor is best since you can't call and chatting via app is sketchy. Stay until it's resolved. Get it in writing.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I am betting the person was misinformed, as they will give you the same power as you had. It may be a 75kWh battery, but it will be capped 60kWh, and give you equivalent performance that your car had as new. They normally don't upgrade your power, even if the battery is capable. There can be other limitations in the car besides the size of the battery itself that requires the 60kWh. Besides, they would want to extend the life of the battery as much as possible, while meeting replacement standards for your car model.

This is mostly a "Tesla can't find their own ass with two hands and a map" problem. I wouldn't worry too much about what any rando says in chat - just stick to your guns and make sure they deliver exactly what you agreed to and approved via the service estimate.

If you think it's bad now, just wait until they replace all of these clueless humans with clueless Optimus robots... ;)

I am betting the person was misinformed, as they will give you the same power as you had. It may be a 75kWh battery, but it will be capped 60kWh, and give you equivalent performance that your car had as new. They normally don't upgrade your power, even if the battery is capable. There can be other limitations in the car besides the size of the battery itself that requires the 60kWh. Besides, they would want to extend the life of the battery as much as possible, while meeting replacement standards for your car model.
Except that they have removed the cap on 60 S/X cars in the past during, for example, natural disasters etc. Also, I believe for a while (if not still) owners of capped S60 or X60 cars could pay to have the cap removed.
So I don't think there's any reason they couldn't install the 75kWh battery, uncapped, into OP's car.
Now, whether the S60 car can take an "uncorked acceleration" boost is another story. But that, although unlocked through software on capable cars, isn't necessary for getting the 75kWh battery, nor does OP probably care if they get uncorked or not.

This is mostly a "Tesla can't find their own ass with two hands and a map" problem. I wouldn't worry too much about what any rando says in chat - just stick to your guns and make sure they deliver exactly what you agreed to and approved via the service estimate.

If you think it's bad now, just wait until they replace all of these clueless humans with clueless Optimus robots... ;)
aka Friday

Except that they have removed the cap on 60 S/X cars in the past during, for example, natural disasters etc. Also, I believe for a while (if not still) owners of capped S60 or X60 cars could pay to have the cap removed.
So I don't think there's any reason they couldn't install the 75kWh battery, uncapped, into OP's car.
Now, whether the S60 car can take an "uncorked acceleration" boost is another story. But that, although unlocked through software on capable cars, isn't necessary for getting the 75kWh battery, nor does OP probably care if they get uncorked or not.
I agree. Try to hold them to the initial promise.

OP: Post the pdf. That will be the binding offer, not whatever chat you cherry pick.

Second, the question here is pack capacity, NOT POWER. The correct units are kWh
I will be surprised if 60 kWh packs are available, but Tesla could certainly software limit a 75 kWh pack to 60 kWh

Reactions: Big Earl
The battery power is the amount of electrical energy stored in the battery. It is also called capacity.

You might want to review this from the NREL website in their Batteries 101 series ...
For batteries, the power rating (measured in kilowatts) indicates how much power can flow into or out of the battery in any given instant. It's similar to the capacity rating of a PV system (also measured in kilowatts), which indicates how much power can theoretically come out of the PV system in any given instant. However, one common mistake is to use the term capacity when referring to the kilowatt rating of the battery system. The more accurate term is the power rating of the battery.​
The energy rating, or battery capacity, of the battery system is measured in kilowatt-hours and provides an estimate of the amount of energy that can be stored. The energy rating is the measure of how much electricity the system can deliver or absorb over the course of an hour. This is similar to the energy output of a PV system over time (which is also measured in kWh).​
The important difference is that, unlike the PV system, battery systems are designed to maximize either the power rating or the energy rating, depending on their intended use.
Source for reference: Batteries 101 Series: How to Talk About Batteries and Power-To-Energy Ratios.

So for this discussion, the battery capacity is either 60 kWh or 75 kWh. I do not know what the battery power is for either pack, being the maximum instantaneous power that the battery can deliver.

The battery power is the amount of electrical energy stored in the battery. It is also called capacity.
Building on what @PCMc wrote, "power" is a physics term, and has units of ENERGY/time. Power only applies to when energy is flowing and doing active work.
Capacity is in units of energy (Joules, or the weird kWh units we use in the EV industry).
Watts are Joules/time. So Watts * time (e.g. kWh) just gives Joules (times a conversion constant).

Reactions: Big Earl
You might want to review this from the NREL website in their Batteries 101 series ...
For batteries, the power rating (measured in kilowatts) indicates how much power can flow into or out of the battery in any given instant. It's similar to the capacity rating of a PV system (also measured in kilowatts), which indicates how much power can theoretically come out of the PV system in any given instant. However, one common mistake is to use the term capacity when referring to the kilowatt rating of the battery system. The more accurate term is the power rating of the battery.​
The energy rating, or battery capacity, of the battery system is measured in kilowatt-hours and provides an estimate of the amount of energy that can be stored. The energy rating is the measure of how much electricity the system can deliver or absorb over the course of an hour. This is similar to the energy output of a PV system over time (which is also measured in kWh).​
The important difference is that, unlike the PV system, battery systems are designed to maximize either the power rating or the energy rating, depending on their intended use.
Source for reference: Batteries 101 Series: How to Talk About Batteries and Power-To-Energy Ratios.

So for this discussion, the battery capacity is either 60 kWh or 75 kWh. I do not know what the battery power is for either pack, being the maximum instantaneous power that the battery can deliver.
From your post: "However, one common mistake is to use the term capacity when referring to the kilowatt rating of the battery system. The more accurate term is the power rating of the battery." Seems to me, capacity is incorrect for a 75KWh battery. That is it's power rating, like I said. In any event, we all know what is meant, I hope. Back to the topic at hand....

Seems to me, capacity is incorrect for a 75KWh battery. That is it's power rating, like I said.
No. "Power rating" would refer to the amount of power the battery could provide at any given instant. For example, a battery with 75kwh of ENERGY capacity might be able to provide ~250kw of POWER for acceleration (this is in fact the case for most 75kwh cars).

75kwh of energy in a battery can provide 75kw of power continuously for an hour before the battery is depleted.

I know everyone knows what you meant - but it's worth getting the terminology correct.

Update: they confirmed it was a misunderstanding and will update the estimate to show it's a 75kWh pack.
This actually gives me some hope for the future. One of the biggest talking points from non-Tesla owners is about the battery: "Oh well, when you have to replace the battery it's going to cost an arm and a leg". I'm not sure why this is such a problem for ICE people; do they ask each other about replacing the engine in their cars?

Anyway, it's great to have some anecdotal evidence that yes, it is possible to get your battery replaced, by Tesla, and for a reasonable cost. Did everything go perfectly? No. But these things rarely do, even with "legacy" automakers. I've know people that have waited months for a major repair, and had to fight with the manufacture the entire time. Does this make ICE cars unbuyable?

In Tesla's case it's actually better just to use the number 60, 75 etc, because the actual capacity isn't that number of kWh.

@wk057 has reported that the old 60 packs are now shot and have no core value so you wouldn't want one anyway.
If they're offering a 75 pack restricted to 60, that's a better option.
There may simply have been the typical Tesla confusion with the SC knowing that 60s are unavailable so the OP would get a 75, but without knowing initially the business would require it to be limited, with the OP having to pay extra if they wanted it unlocked.

My Model S 2013 60kW battery died out of warranty. The nightmare every Tesla owner dreads. So I placed a Tesla service ticket and they quoted me $13K for a 75kWh replacement pack with 4 yrs or 50k miles warranty. I was actually pleasantly surprised since I thought the price was going to be around $20K and I would be getting a bigger pack. The Service person was very informative saying that I would get a bigger battery than my 60kW, that I would keep my unlimited supercharging and I would get about 15% more range, even clarified the pack will NOT be software capped at 60kw. etc. So he proceeded to confirm my option of 75kW replacement and I said go ahead.
I was wondering if you could tell us more about your battery status before it died. Was it sudden? Had it been declining prior to the battery's demise. Many of us are curious.

Reactions: djlott and Girrockz