Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Tesla offers 75kW battery replacement for $13K but then says its a 60kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if you could tell us more about your battery status before it died. Was it sudden? Had it been declining prior to the battery's demise. Many of us are curious.
It was a sudden issue. Previous night it charged to 90%, and next morning got the message and from then on it only charged to 36%. I was lucky that the battery still powers the car. I've heard stories of complete dead cars with 0% charge.

Late to the party but I figured I'd share my battery stories with you all just in case others might have had similar experiences.
I have a 2013 P85 Model S . Last October (and less than 2 weeks out of warranty) with 75k miles on the car, I got the "Maximum Battery charge reduced" warning on the display. I got home and plugged it in (with 130miles left on the battery) and to my dismay, it wouldn't take a charge.
I took it into one of the California Bay Area service centers and was told "Your battery is dead and you need another".
The quotes for replacement were:
New battery =$25,508.00 (written quote)
Refurbished Battery = $9-13,000. (verbal quote)
I begged for mercy since I was just 2 weeks out of warranty and added that the car had spent more than 2 weeks in the shop for miscellaneous repairs and a big repair where the drive unit had to be replaced. I asked for some kind of Goodwill and after weeks of back and forth with them, I was told they would give me $4k off a refurbished battery. Taking that into account, I did the math and now I was looking at a quote of 9-13k MINUS the of $4k discount which would land me at = 5-9k Right?
Well, when they gave me the new quote, it was now $17k total - $4k =$13k . Which was not a discount at all from the previous refurb Quote.
At this point, my car was at 130 miles, wouldn't take any kind of charge and was slowly counting down to being a brick.
I parked it at home and a few weeks later after trying to work with the service center, the battery had dropped down to 59 miles. Another software update came in so I updated it then in effort to keep the battery for continuing to lose charge, I plugged it into my 120w outlet at home to see if I could keep it from being completely dead.
To my surprise, it went "Click" and green and started charging! I was able to charge up past the 130 miles I had when the problem started, so I got in the car to move over to my 240 outlet and I saw that the warning message was cleared from the dash and I was able to charge to 90% ( I didn't try for more) on the 240w outlet.
When I went back to the dealer, shortly after, for the eMMC chip replacement, they asked if I was going to replace the battery now. I told them I didn't need to because it was working fine now and the message went away.

I' happy to say my car and battery were fine for the past year with, no issues whatsoever....until this week.
I saw the "software update" message on the dash a few weeks ago but I was skeptical about installing it since that was when things seemed to have gone south last time.
Eventually I got tired of clearing the message from my display, gave in and allowed the update (last week). A few days later, I Supercharged to a 90% Trip level, then at 170 miles I got this "Maximum Battery charge reduced" message.
It changed the Daily and Trip settings to where the daily starts at about halfway instead of at 80%
Once I got down to the halfway point I tried to charge again but it says charging complete.
I'm back at the point where I was a year ago and this seems suspect to me. I believe this is a software/firmware issue.
Has anyone else ever experienced problems like this soon after doing the software updates?
I plan to go into the local service center and see what kind of treatment I get this time.
I'll keep you posted if you are interested.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Late to the party but I figured I'd share my battery stories with you all just in case others might have had similar experiences.
I have a 2013 P85 Model S . Last October (and less than 2 weeks out of warranty) with 75k miles on the car, I got the "Maximum Battery charge reduced" warning on the display. I got home and plugged it in (with 130miles left on the battery) and to my dismay, it wouldn't take a charge.
I took it into one of the California Bay Area service centers and was told "Your battery is dead and you need another".
I begged for mercy since I was just 2 weeks out of warranty and added that the car had spent more than 2 weeks in the shop for miscellaneous repairs and a big repair where the drive unit had to be replaced. I asked for some kind of Goodwill and after weeks of back and forth with them, I was told they would give me $4k off a refurbished battery. Taking that into account, I did the math and now I was looking at a quote of 9-13k MINUS the of $4k discount which would land me at = 5-9k Right?
Well, when they gave me the new quote, it was now $17k total - $4k =$13k . Which was not a discount at all from the previous refurb Quote.
At this point, my car was at 130 miles, wouldn't take any kind of charge and was slowly counting down to being a brick.
I parked it at home and a few weeks later after trying to work with the service center, the battery had dropped down to 59 miles. Another software update came in so I updated it then in effort to keep the battery for continuing to lose charge, I plugged it into my 120w outlet at home to see if I could keep it from being completely dead.
To my surprise, it went "Click" and green and started charging! I was able to charge up past the 130 miles I had when the problem started, so I got in the car to move over to my 240 outlet and I saw that the warning message was cleared from the dash and I was able to charge to 90% ( I didn't try for more) on the 240w outlet.
When I went back to the dealer, shortly after, for the eMMC chip replacement, they asked if I was going to replace the battery now. I told them I didn't need to because it was working fine now and the message went away.

I' happy to say my car and battery were fine for the past year with, no issues whatsoever....until this week.
I saw the "software update" message on the dash a few weeks ago but I was skeptical about installing it since that was when things seemed to have gone south last time.
Eventually I got tired of clearing the message from my display, gave in and allowed the update (last week). A few days later, I Supercharged to a 90% Trip level, then at 170 miles I got this "Maximum Battery charge reduced" message.
It changed the Daily and Trip settings to where the daily starts at about halfway instead of at 80%
Once I got down to the halfway point I tried to charge again but it says charging complete.
I'm back at the point where I was a year ago and this seems suspect to me. I believe this is a software/firmware issue.
Has anyone else ever experienced problems like this soon after doing the software updates?
I plan to go into the local service center and see what kind of treatment I get this time.
My issue isn’t quite on a par with yours, but I’m avoiding software updates now too

My battery seems to stop allowing full access to the ‘top end’ of the power meter, displaying yellow dashes. Tesla have remotely diagnosed the battery a few times and have said it’s fine. This only happens after software updates - last update actually cleared it, so now I’m declining every new download and have removed wifi access points

The battery warranty is up in December so I’d really like it resolved - but if their tools say it’s fine then I’m stuck

Yes, keep us updated.

My 2013 P85 had error codes and wouldn’t drive back in Feb 2022. This seemed to happen on really cold days. But she would start up as the temp warmed up. She drive fine all summer and then last week she stopped working again.

I’ve read conflicting things about software updates causing issues. Some people say it’s coincidence. Others swear by it but I haven’t heard anything definitive. If anything my presumption is that there is still an underlying battery issue and the updated my be increasing the detention of these and thus shutting down the cars for possible safety issues.

Please update your story. I’m in the same bind and am wondering what to do. I was quoted $12k I’m feb for the battery swap and $15k recently. I’m assuming that general inflation and supply chain delays are causing this increase.

Reactions: RNHurt
My 2013 P85 had error codes and wouldn’t drive back in Feb 2022. This seemed to happen on really cold days. But she would start up as the temp warmed up. She drive fine all summer and then last week she stopped working again.

I’ve read conflicting things about software updates causing issues. Some people say it’s coincidence. Others swear by it but I haven’t heard anything definitive. If anything my presumption is that there is still an underlying battery issue and the updated my be increasing the detention of these and thus shutting down the cars for possible safety issues.

Please update your story. I’m in the same bind and am wondering what to do. I was quoted $12k I’m feb for the battery swap and $15k recently. I’m assuming that general inflation and supply chain delays are causing this increase.
Still waiting for Tesla to ship the Pack. Fortunately my car still works but only charges to 36%. I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: Ash83
Still waiting for Tesla to ship the Pack. Fortunately my car still works but only charges to 36%. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks. Can I ask what your thought process was for doing the battery swap. I live my car and want to keep driving it but that’s a lot to spend, although the 4 year warranty does give a lot of piece of mind. Did you consider third party shops or even just selling it as is?

Thanks. Can I ask what your thought process was for doing the battery swap. I live my car and want to keep driving it but that’s a lot to spend, although the 4 year warranty does give a lot of piece of mind. Did you consider third party shops or even just selling it as is?
We own 2 Teslas. I have a M3 2019 and my wife has this one. MS2013. I've been trying to convince her to sell it and trade it for a MY, speciallialy now that it was out of warranty. But she's the type that sees the car as a confy pair of old shoes that will never throw away unless they fall apart. Anyway, so when the battery failed, we had several options. I called Recell, 057, Grubber and Electrify Garage. All of the repairs were more expensive than Tesla's, except Recell that quoted me $9.7K for a reburbished 60kwH. I still had to pay shipment back from TX to FL and had only 2 yrs warranty. So when Tesla came back with the $13k quote for a 75kwh pack with 4 yrs warranty it was really a no brainer. Still a huge chunk of cash but a lot less if we decide to sell the MS with a bad battery and buying anything else.

I’ve read conflicting things about software updates causing issues. Some people say it’s coincidence. Others swear by it but I haven’t heard anything definitive.

Good post on this topic by an informed and authoritative voice:

There's nothing in the OTA updates specifically to trigger issues with the batteries.

However, any OTA update does a reset of the battery as part of the update process. Generally the BMS is online 24/7 without resets, except for during/after an update. This can get the BMS to start it's evaluations of some things over again and cause it to detect certain issues more quickly than it would otherwise. The issues are still real and still there and will still trigger alerts at some point anyway.

In short, it's not the OTA that caused a problem. The problem with the pack was already there before the OTA.

Reactions: richrootes
I'm back at the point where I was a year ago and this seems suspect to me. I believe this is a software/firmware issue. Has anyone else ever experienced problems like this soon after doing the software updates? I plan to go into the local service center and see what kind of treatment I get this time. I'll keep you posted if you are interested.
There are over 40 others (including myself) on this site that experienced battery issues on their 2013s after the warranty period expired ... many after an OTA software update. I suspect we'll see a batch of 2014s with the same issues after their warranty expires.

Update: I finally got my car today with the 75kWh pack uncapped. I had to debate several times with different techs in the chat that I was getting an uncapped 75 but somehow they kept insisting on a capped pack. 3 times I had to show them the original offer. Finally they recognized I was right. I'm a happy camper now. My car now says 75 and got about 43 extra miles of range.

Attachments

• DC15F9BE-1659-4078-913B-4004D77CDF52.jpeg
    DC15F9BE-1659-4078-913B-4004D77CDF52.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 117