TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

[Resolved]Tesla won't let me keep charger, claiming restricted

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Max*, Jul 12, 2019.

1. cartwright

cartwright Member

His car is not under warranty and he said there is no core charge. Therefore the provision you highlighted in red does not apply. The next line also states the customer has the right to pay the core charge and receive the part. It appears Tesla isn't even offering that as an option.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  2. islandchick

islandchick Member

Sounds like Tesla is the automotive Federal Reserve. They may be wonderful cars to drive, but I just can't take the chance that I will be one of the magical "small percentage" that get totally screwed with no lube. Dirty dirty business

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. Max*

Max* Charging

I'm out of warranty. I highlighted the part you missed.

4. Max*

Max* Charging

#24 Max*, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    I'm typically not litigious, and I would hate to have to take this to court. I'm hoping the service manager does the right thing, and later adjusts the policies of this service center.

I was thinking about that too. If they told me the core charge on a charger is $1k, I wouldn't go through the hassle of paying them $1k and risking/trying to turn a small profit on it. And this would be a good way of doing it, adding a core charge. In the future.

• Like x 1
  5. islandchick

islandchick Member

I bet there is a clause hidden in the paperwork they shove in your face and try to make you sign in 3 minutes after you have paid for the car and before you take possession.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Member

And most of the time they can wipe their asses with the paper that clause is written on.

Having somebody sign something does not somehow shield them from obeying the law.

• Love x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  7. islandchick

islandchick Member

As mentioned by others, the laws are intentionally vague so as to insulate those with power, money, and influence, to indeed break, nay flout it. I agree that it's dirty business, but in the end you can't fight City Hall.
    I fought the law, and the law won. I think I heard that somewhere

8. buzescu

buzescu Member

The sad part is that in 99% of the cases the problem is one of the high voltage fuse inside the charging module which is a $30 part. It takes some average skills to get there...under the back seat. There is a great writing in the forum about this with step by step instructions. But Tesla rips you off and just replaces the module. Then they send it back and have Soares for service. They do that to offload service, I get it but the 99% of the work to get the module out is already done...

• Informative x 1
  9. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Lol, no.

“Sorry I can’t give you that part because I have an agreement with myself to not give it to you” is not a defensible position.

There is no applicable warranty, trade-in, or core charge in this instance. The law is clear, the parts are yours, and they must be returned.

If Tesla doesn’t want to return the part they need to apply a core charge or goodwill the replacement. End of story.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. Max*

Max* Charging

I saw that on the forums, the job didn't seem horrible. But from my reading, that the fuse was only for the regular AC charger, not the HVJB/DC charging capability. Hence I went to Tesla isn't of DIY.

• Like x 1
  11. demundus

demundus Active Member

This is why the price of an MCU (back in the day) went from 3K to 5K... people started asking for them back to hack/learn/resell them. Tesla got wise and concocted a "core charge" for it. Caught enough flak that I believe they dropped it eventually.

12. KG M3

KG M3 Member

The "warranty" in question is not the one Tesla offered to you, but rather the internal "warranty" that the part manufacturer offered to Tesla as the OEM. If Tesla so chooses, they can use this language to try and deny you the return of the part.

The sentence previously highlighted can be parsed multiple ways, but the plain language of the legal requirement does not specify that the
    • warranty agreement
    • trade in agreement, or the
    • core charge agreement for a reconditioned part
    must be between the OEM and the customer. So Tesla can certainly argue that, and the customer can sue if they disagree.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  13. KG M3

KG M3 Member

I appreciate the certainty with which you declare the terms of the supply agreement between Tesla and the charge module manufacturer. Those agreements are not public.

Once again, the plain language of the legal requirement does not state that only the agreements between the OEM and the customer are relevant.

We may not like the legal requirement as written, but this has been interpreted in this fashion previously.

14. Max*

Max* Charging

That's an interesting take, one that may or may not work. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

15. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

#35 ucmndd, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Nor are they relevant. The parts are mine, I own them. End of story.

If Tesla has a behind the scenes warranty with an OEM and they want the part back so they can cash in, they need to charge you a core charge or discount the repair in an obvious way.

Again, “we have a 10,000 year warranty with all of our suppliers therefore can’t return anything to you under any circumstances” is not a defensible position and it will not stand up to any scrutiny when they are charging me full price out of warranty for replacement.

• Like x 3
  16. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Yes, that's more or less what I said... the contactor or something in the electronics that pilots the Supercharger current.

17. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

This makes sense. Thanks.

18. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

You said “There's no ‘charger’ for enabling supercharging in the car”, implying the repair suggested by Tesla was incorrect. Yet the charger is exactly the part that performs the signaling task you describe above, which is why it’s being replaced.

19. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Uh... no. I know we're arguing definitions but a charger, to me, is the device that's doing the rectification & voltage conversions if required. An isolation contactor is not a charger. Nor is a pilot signal generator.

Maybe they call it a charger because it's easier to rationalize charging $2600 for it, than if they just told you that the high voltage fuse blew.

• Like x 1
  20. demundus

demundus Active Member

Whats the precedent and case law regarding warranty between OEM and Supplier and its cascading effects on the end user/consumer who has a warranty claim with the OEM ?

• Like x 4