Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved]They're cancelling my order!!!! FUMING!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So having just missed out on a car this weekend, I secured a deposit on a car (75D) earlier this week. Only to receive an email today to say they've underpriced the car by £5k! They've priced it as a 2 wheel drive instead of AWD.

Therefore blah blah we'll meet you halfway at £2,500 extra! Not a chance!

I've entered into a contract at a certain price and they have made a mistake!

FUMING!

Anyone know a contact for someone in their head office or someone senior?

I've had the hour from hell. But to get resolution within that time to what could have turned out to be a nightmare situation was amazing service by them (I would have definitely cancelled my order if they hadn't have sorted it).

I've just spoken to the manager at the dealership who hadn't even been told the good news yet so it really looks like the guy in Holland had really spoken to senior people at HO.

Hats off to Tesla......and unbeknown to me I've ended up with a great deal!

EDIT - Having sent a massive complaint email and phone call. Just received a call from a guy (who I've dealt with before) in Holland.......and they'll honour the original price! Took 30 mins to sort it from the original email!

HAPPY AGAIN!!!
Maybe a mod could edit your thread title to reflect that. You got a great deal. Time to be nice.

• Helpful
Reactions: ev-now
Yes - it may well have been an honest mistake, but:

1. They didn't even have the guts to ring me and explain (did it via email).
2. They have made NUMEROUS errors/mistakes/mis-information throughout my buying experience it's unreal.
3. I have paid my deposit and therefore surely I have some kind of binding contract (I know I couldn't back out if I'd made a mistake without losing £4,000).
4. Funnily enough, I had specifically ASKED them the question 2 days before ordering 'is the price correct and not a mistake?'

It's people like you that would have paid the extra £2,500 and let them get away with it that makes these fat cats even fatter.

Yes I have ended up with a good deal, one that I genuinely wasn't expecting (yes, I knew it was cheaper than a custom order one, but I had no reason to think the inventory cars weren't discounted sometimes and I even asked for confirmation beforehand!).

Part of me thinks they know they couldn't increase the price after a deposit is made and paperwork signed, but they just tried it on first, hoping that I would bend over and pay the £2,500 increase. When I kicked off, they were extremely quick to back down.

It's people like you that would have paid the extra £2,500 and let them get away with it that makes these fat cats even fatter.

That's really harsh and uncalled for, at least in my view.

He just asked a question, which seemed like a fair one to me, about meeting Tesla half-way, to which you replied that you paid the deposit and had a binding contract. Once you said that, it was clear to me you were in the right -- legally. But after reading your first post I didn't know what "secured a deposit" meant and I doubt he did either. Debts can be secured with collateral but deposits are paid -- not secured. You left me wondering if you paid the deposit, or had paperwork so that you could secure it by making the payment, but before doing that they told you of their mistake. So you had me confused too, and then you lashed out at him when he asked a simple question and you capped it off with your "fat cats" comment that makes no sense to me. I can't stand when people justify their actions by saying the other party has lots of money. The banks are some of the biggest fat cats around but if they make a mistake and deposit money in my account that doesn't belong to me, I don't get keep it no matter how fat the cat is, nor would I expect to.

The bottom line is that you got more than you deserved because Tesla made a mistake but they are honouring their mistaken price. Please don't try to make out as if you are keeping the fat cats lean for the rest of us by attacking someone as if they are helping the fat cats to take advantage of us. That's just total nonsense.

Cool down and stop accusing other people of stuff they didn't even do.

Tesla made a mistake. They fixed it, and then some You got a great deal. But you're still complaining.

Maggo, while I understand your point, isn't there some chance Tesla made an honest mistake? I thought their offer to meet half way seemed rather reasonable.

Have you never made a mistake?
I disagree. You're a business, while making mistakes is inevitable, they produced a contract which the OP signed. They shouldn't have even tried to ask him for the $2.5k. They should have honored it from the start, and called it a lesson learned to be more careful next time.

It sucks for Tesla to take the loss, but happy customers = better business, right?

Its a price mistake, it even sounds like you knew it was a price mistake. I think their original offer of a 2,500 discount was quite fair, most other companies would have just canceled it right away. The fact that you're still complaining about it is bizarre.

I disagree. You're a business, while making mistakes is inevitable, they produced a contract which the OP signed.
He hadn't signed a contract, just put a deposit down.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
Its a price mistake, it even sounds like you knew it was a price mistake. I think their original offer of a 2,500 discount was quite fair, most other companies would have just canceled it right away. The fact that you're still complaining about it is bizarre.
Most businesses honor a "minor" price mistake, especially when it was their fault.

Possibly because many states have laws that prohibit stores from charging more than the displayed price, because it could be deemed as a false advertising/bait and switch. I'm not talking about a typographical error, like leaving off a zero off of a $75,000 price tag and selling him the car for $7,500; that's different.

He hadn't signed a contract, just put a deposit down.
That's fair, but he put down a deposit for a set price and features. So I stand by the rest of my point.

I had signed the contract, and received the invoice, and paid the deposit. I think legally they were stuffed anyway. I am only saying it was cheeky of them to try and even attempt to meet me halfway. £2,500 is a lot of money to me........not so to Tesla!

Even with a signed K if its a mutual mistake, the contract can be voided and OP can have his deposit refunded. He should be appreciative and grateful Tesla did not do this and instead tried to make him happy (which somehow he feels entitled to!).