Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved w/12V Battery] Model 3 Hypermiled 606 Miles Down To 0% - Now Will Not Take A Charge

182RG

Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny
Apr 26, 2016
Virginia
As an aside, the guys who ran the test are pretty cool. I especially commend them for letting the owner know what they would be doing with her car.

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J and TexasEV

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Prediction: Battery is fine. Firmware update will fix (corner case?) issue where car won't charge.

As an aside, I suspect the issue of their only getting 66KWh usable is likely attributed in large part to other vehicle overhead. With a 32 hour stint, a draw of 250W works out to another 8kWh used...

Recumpence

Mar 25, 2018
Chicago, IL
So, the person writing the article is wrong. The OP should have stated that you have to follow some huge tweet storm to get the whole story. The article repeatedly states that they are the owners.

U mad bro?

Reactions: Electroman

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Nope. The kWh consumed and the consumption rate (wh/mile) includes the energy to move the car and the auxiliary power like AC and heating.
Ah, you are right. Ignore me... I was thinking it of the overall vampire drain which can be in that ballpark, but that's while the car is not in drive.

Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: GSP and Dr. J

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Discharging an EV to 0% can be dangerous. And with not accepting a charge, I guess vampire drain will make it even worse right now.

Driving a rented EV to 0% is like filling a rented gas car with diesel, you just don't do it.
That's why Tesla maintains an "anti-bricking buffer" where the state of charge when the reported range is zero is still safe for the battery.

And on the model S, there's a second level of reducing power-consumption to avoid damaging a battery due to vampire drain, I assume the Model 3 would implement similar.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and croman

wedge07

Feb 3, 2018
United States
"Uhh, did you even" read Sean's tweets? It was loaned to him.

u mad bro?
I’ll just leave this here for you.

Incidentally, hope you’re having a great day.

Attachments

• 0E6B09B6-DF1B-4323-8913-BFD21B4C6742.jpeg
    0E6B09B6-DF1B-4323-8913-BFD21B4C6742.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Informative
Reactions: bro1999

Piney999

Feb 27, 2016
East of Pikes Peak, Earth
A much as I loved following this quest, the main stream media has now picked up on the unfortunate aftermath, and it is another bad news story for Tesla. Its a shame they couldn't have opened the SC right away to get this sorted and avoided the bad press.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC