Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved w/12V Battery] Model 3 Hypermiled 606 Miles Down To 0% - Now Will Not Take A Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I am back-tracking a bit....but it amazes me that there are complex 10-peed auto gearboxes just to off-set the fundamental shortcomings of ICEs and car companies must realise that this is ridiculous! Build cost; maintenance costs; reliability etc

EVs have one gear (may end up with two if required). EVs are fundamentally more logical and sensible and ICE defenders are on the losing side whether you support Tesla or another manufacturer (bit sparse at the moment!)

I know I am back-tracking a bit....but it amazes me that there are complex 10-peed auto gearboxes just to off-set the fundamental shortcomings of ICEs and car companies must realise that this is ridiculous! Build cost; maintenance costs; reliability etc

EVs have one gear (may end up with two if required). EVs are fundamentally more logical and sensible and ICE defenders are on the losing side whether you support Tesla or another manufacturer (bit sparse at the moment!)

But they are blisteringly fast on a road course. Who would have thought a fully automatic transmission would ever go faster than a stick.

Reactions: gambit48

It's true, these modern transmissions are a good part of the entire car complexity and cost, yet they are adding just a percent or two overall MPG efficiency at the margin with each new generation that takes years and huge R&D to develop. Per report, Ford refused the 10 speed from GM because the increased weight offset the theoretical improvement in load matching.

And we haven't even talked about reliability or replacement cost.