Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved w/12V Battery] Model 3 Hypermiled 606 Miles Down To 0% - Now Will Not Take A Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While it is good that Tesla replaced the 12V battery free of charge, it shouldn't be possible to completely drain the battery in the first place, even when doing a mileage run. Isn't the car able to charge the 12V battery from the high-voltage battery while driving?

Reactions: jsmay311
They drove the car beyond the drive pack's ability to safely provide power for any vehicle systems including the 12V battery. I'd rather my 12V battery sacrifice itself than damage my drive battery trying to keep the 12V battery charged for a bit longer.
Uhm, the car should just stop before the HV battery charge is so low that any component needs to be "sacrificed". Also, it should start charging the 12V battery much earlier of course.

If I'm in desperate enough circumstances to try to drive 20-30 miles past "0" I figure I've made the call that the car should do whatever it can to get me there provided it's not causing itself catastrophic damage. It would be nice if it started flashing a big red warning on the display that what I'm doing is not advisable, but I'd rather it not just shut itself down and leave me stranded.

Reactions: CameronB
So apparently it was just an issue with the 12v battery being dead that prevented the Supercharging:
These guys are so full of themselves, like many YouTube bandits, bragging about all the publicity and contributions THEY got. Tesla warns owners not to run the traction battery down to zero, but these idiots do it anyway. And when these guys screw up, Tesla gets the bad publicity. DUUUUUUUUUUH. :rolleyes:

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
Pr
Prediction: Battery is fine. Firmware update will fix (corner case?) issue where car won't charge.

As an aside, I suspect the issue of their only getting 66KWh usable is likely attributed in large part to other vehicle overhead. With a 32 hour stint, a draw of 250W works out to another 8kWh used...
Pretty good guess. More to come on this soon.

Reactions: GSP and scaesare
A much as I loved following this quest, the main stream media has now picked up on the unfortunate aftermath, and it is another bad news story for Tesla. Its a shame they couldn't have opened the SC right away to get this sorted and avoided the bad press.
I've been in touch with most of the press and they have asked me to update them once I have new info.

Reactions: GSP and e-FTW