Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

{Resolved-Yes!} Can Front and Falcon Wing Doors (FWD) be open simultaneously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair here, Tesla as a company does carry some blame since more than one DS has said this during delivery. It's annoying as hell, and I absolutely believe that there is no problem with the doors colliding. However, I'm hopeful that someone above the DSs ends this in very short order for those who don't participate in this forum.

edit: sorry, cross post with the above.. :redface:

If only there had been someone in the past who had pointed out somewhere, ANYWHERE, that Tesla has serious communication issues.
Oh wait, there are dozens of us who bemoan that All. The. Time.

Yes, it sucks that some DS are telling BS to customers. Like the DS who told one of the early Sig Model X owners that there were no cup holders in the 2nd row (only to had the new owners little son point them out).

But it sucks even more (IMNSHO) if the most respected member on this forum goes out of her way to a) talk to an authoritative source at Tesla to confirm that this is BS and then b) tests it on her own car, only to have people not believe her and continue that whole "but some random DS said so, so it must be true". I find that disrespectful to Bonnie. And given all she has contributed here she does not deserve that.

</rant>

"who's on first". Is it possible that the information from the DS and Bonnie are the same. There is NO collision point on the doors. There is a pinch point on the doors, so it is recommended that the front door not be closed when the FWD is closing. It seem more like a piece of information may have been given to the DS an may have been misinterpreted as the WHY. Just a thought.

Some of the Tesla employees being wrong about certain facts has always been an issue, but I'm not sure if it can be solved completely.

Part of this has to do with the company making constant changes (for other companies, changes happen every model year, while Tesla's changes are continuous and unpredictable). Other part may have to do with employees being more engaged (AKA they read forums like this off work, which can be both a good or bad thing).

I still think they are far better than your typical car sales people, many of which are completely wrong about the facts on the car they sell, especially if it's an EV, but also some which lie about them to make a sale.

"who's on first". Is it possible that the information from the DS and Bonnie are the same. There is NO collision point on the doors. There is a pinch point on the doors, so it is recommended that the front door not be closed when the FWD is closing. It seem more like a piece of information may have been given to the DS an may have been misinterpreted as the WHY. Just a thought.

I always appreciate when someone assumes good intent. :)

The DS is incorrect. I have it confirmed by technical folks at Tesla that the doors do not collide. We also have video from forum members showing the doors cannot collide. I'm not sure what more you need.

What more DO you need?

I can can confirm the confirmation that the doors all operate Independant of each other and without conflict.

I have selected the doors screen and opened every door simultaneously and have also closed all five doors as fast as my fingers can press the selections. They just open and close. This morning as we loaded four adults and a three year old for the Disney trip. I think every door opened and closed 50 times in a completly random matter. The two middle row seats also were cycled forward and back multiple times.

image.jpeg

Day two; visiting the happiest place on earth and drinking the electrical nectar.

The only issue identified today was that if you plan to put kid safety seats in the second row you will need some type of extender for the seat center back strap. I can't imagine any seat will reach to the very bottom of the middle row seat backs.

I offered to make an extender using tubular nylon webbing. The same webbing I hang from when rock climbing. My safety focused daughter refused any modification that was not certified and approved for that use. The quick solution was to put the safety seat in the third row that had normal seat back attachment points.

The grandson thought the third row was spectacular and now wants to always ride there. On the six seat interior he has a full view from the third row and logged over 100 miles there without a single complaint.

I will be sending a note to the Tesla online merchandise people that an item to stock would be a proper extension strap. In addition it should be designed with padding to protect the shiny second row seat backs.

Tesla employees with incorrect information is an all too common occurrence unfortunately. When I picked up my Model X, one of my questions was where are the second row cup holders. He answered that the car didn't have any in the second row, only front and third row. Sigh. Of course, when I got home, my 11 year old son, five seconds after being in the second row, said, "Hey dad, check out the cool cup holders!".

Tesla employees with incorrect information is an all too common occurrence unfortunately. When I picked up my Model X, one of my questions was where are the second row cup holders. He answered that the car didn't have any in the second row, only front and third row. Sigh. Of course, when I got home, my 11 year old son, five seconds after being in the second row, said, "Hey dad, check out the cool cup holders!".

Hey! I had that info over in the wiki thread! #fail

If only there had been someone in the past who had pointed out somewhere, ANYWHERE, that Tesla has serious communication issues.
Oh wait, there are dozens of us who bemoan that All. The. Time.

Yes, it sucks that some DS are telling BS to customers. Like the DS who told one of the early Sig Model X owners that there were no cup holders in the 2nd row (only to had the new owners little son point them out).

But it sucks even more (IMNSHO) if the most respected member on this forum goes out of her way to a) talk to an authoritative source at Tesla to confirm that this is BS and then b) tests it on her own car, only to have people not believe her and continue that whole "but some random DS said so, so it must be true". I find that disrespectful to Bonnie. And given all she has contributed here she does not deserve that.

</rant>

ive resolved this with Bonnie offline and have removed my posts. I don't need you coming in and stirring things up making things up about disrespect to anybody.

if somebody feels disrespected they can bring it to me directly, don't need you playing arm chair quarterback

Didn't plan to share this but it does show the doors working in a low door garage environment. The left Falcon door is a little obstruction sensitive but works fine. The garage door tracks are low rise to clear a structural beam. The doors open fine in this two car garage spot with the lower than normal garage door top tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't plan to share this but it does show the doors working in a low door garage environment. The left Falcon door is a little obstruction sensitive but works fine. The garage door tracks are low rise to clear a structural beam. The doors open fine in this two car garage spot with the lower than normal garage door top tracks.
Looking at how tall the rear hatch/lift-gate opens (likely taller than on the Model S) I wonder if the Model X has ultrasonic sensors for the hatch/lift-gate too. I know the Model S doesn't and you have to manually stop the liftgate.

Of course, I'm not suggesting to try this unless you have a soft target that won't damage the hatch even if you hit it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to read all the data. I didn't know this thread existed, or I would have put last night's comments into it. The link is below.

My DS told me in no uncertain terms during delivery that the doors would hit. Blame him, not me for even mentioning it again here.

I agree about the lousy communication internally that keeps the employees of Tesla Motors in the dark about such important topics.

HOWEVER, IMHO, there IS a reason this door hit thing MAY have occurred, because of what Tesla Motors puts in the Owner's Manual on the touchscreen. When you read it, you will understand why someone got confused OR may have invented a different way to explain why the doors should not be opened at the same time IF PERSONS HAVE HANDS NEAR THE FRONT DOOR EDGE.

Read my entry elsewhere, so my "how to open door" discussion can be hidden over there: Vin 0062x pickup in Tampa 12/23 at 6pm - Page 21

But, please, all owners/drivers of Model X must read the manuals. When Owner's Manual warnings about injury get down to the number of degrees the front door should be open, it is a serious issue!

Folks, I have a suspicion where this rumor may have started. On Page 8 of the 7.0 Model X Owner's Manual it states,

"Warning: Whenever a front door is partially open (approximately 20°) as you are opening or closing the associated falcon wing door, you MUST keep your hands (or any object) away from the opening edge of the front door. When a falcon wing door passes by a partially opened front door, the distance between the two doors is very narrow. Objects, such as hands or fingers, placed in this area, are not detected by sensors and can therefore become pinched between the doors. To avoid bodily injury, it is a good practice to keep your hands away from the front door whenever you are opening or closing a falcon wing door."

Maybe some DS thought to say, "don't close the FWD when the front door is open." The important part is the context. The reality is that the guidance is/was wrong, BUT you should be careful of that one little window of opportunity where there may be reduced clearance between the driver's door and the FWD.

The manual that is floating around answers all sorts of questions. It is authoritative on the topic of the close passage between the doors, but it also indicates that you can set the max opening height of the back hatch. I assume that exists for two reasons - low garage roofs and shorter stature people. It looks like quite a reach to get the close button when it is open all the way.