Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resolving Glare on Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fought going with the solution because I have always preferred the crispness of clear screens like the Apple iPhone or iMac. Matte screens seemed to reduce contrast and make the screen more difficult to read on older eyes like mine. However, the reflections from the interior and glare fro bright sunlight made a lot of the screen unreadable for me, especially difficult was the right side of the screen with smallish font for temperature and time along with turn by turn instructions when navigating. I decided to breakdown and give Abstract Oceans new 9H glass matte screen a try so I ordered it. They claimed it would reduce glare and that the matte was a very fine matte and a good compromise to pretty much eliminate glare and to make finger prints all but invisible.

In the process of preparing to install the new screen protector I discovered that it had the factory screen protector still installed. Because it fits on so perfectly to the edges it was hard to see it was even there and also hard to get a fingernail under it to remove it. It has a very shiny surface and I honestly don't know whether the raw screen would have been ok without it as at this point I was in the middle of installing the AO screen protector.

I installed the AO Matte screen protector and wow! What a difference. Yes it did reduce crispness slightly but the glare and reflections issue was gone. I could easily read the right side of the screen without leaning over and straining to see what was being displayed. I am completely satisfied with it as a solution and protective surface. I can't recommend it strongly enough. I thought I would share this because I have been a skeptic and I thought I should be fair and admit I was wrong in the past if I said anything negative about matte screen protectors. I can't vouch for all of them but this one is fantastic! 5 STARS *****

Just so you know, I'm not claiming it is a perfect solution but it is an improvement in about 95% - 98% of the cases. I have found cases where it still doesn't help and I do wish Tesla had provided both more brightness and a contrast control to increase contrast. Both would have helped.

Where it helps the most is in reducing reflections that make the screen difficult to read. For example when my wife is sitting in the passenger seat, her reflection makes it difficult to read the screen. It acts almost like a mirror reflecting her image and the screen text is a faded background.

barjohn, do you have a link the screen protector you bought? I feel like there are tons of different ones now and want to get a well proven one.

... I decided to breakdown and give Abstract Oceans new 9H glass matte screen a try so I ordered it. ...

My guess is it's this one here: AbstractOcean Tempered Glass (9H) Screen Protector for the Tesla Model 3 with the "Matte (Anti-Glare) +$5" option selected instead of the default "HD Clear" — Looks like it's available on Amazon.com also for the same price.

These guys (https://www.nushield.com/order_now.php) seem to have some decent products. I ordered their triple A (matte) shield for my wife's 15" Sony laptop, but replaced it with their Dayvue version. I notice they have both listed for the Model 3. The Triple A matte is a true matte, but on my wife's laptop it imparted a grain to text that was was just too noticeable. The Dayvue is not a matte, but does have AR properties (more like the AR coating Larry mentions for his iPad Pro - although I would bet the ipad pro is better). These AR coatings seem to "dim" the reflections. They are still there, but don't jump out as brightly. Matte protectors diffuse the reflections - often so much the object is no longer identifiable.

Another option is these guys: Tesla Model S 17-inch In-Dash Screen Protector. They have different levels of matte.

Both places can do custom cuts (the former lists the Model S and 3, the latter just the Model S so far in their pre-cut line).

I can only tell you my experience with AO gloss. It fit perfectly and you cannot tell at all that there is anything on the screen. I took extra care to make sure no dust behind and that it aligned perfectly. I'd still like to see the AO matte if anyone has installed it.