Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Response time of Tesla roadside service is totally FUBAR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m stuck at a the Northeast MD supercharger 44 miles from home with 15 miles of range and my car will not charge. I’ve tried everything — plugged in at 4 different superchargers, powered the car off 6 times, rebooted — nothing works. So I called road service. Nearly an hour has passed and they have still not contacted me. I’ll be clocking the response time but already have concluded that they don’t give a damned or they have so many failures that they just can’t keep up with them.

This is just one of many failures I’ve experienced in the last 2 weeks — nav stopped working, Pano roof has buckled and is letting in air and water, and now a charging failure.

I’ve been the first to defend Tesla but no more. This is the most unreliable car I have ever owned, up there with my 1970 E-type Jaguar. It’s become a laughing stock with my family and in my business.

Last edited:
I’m stuck at a the Northeast MD supercharger 44 miles from home with 15 miles of range and my car will not charge. I’ve tried everything — plugged in at 4 different superchargers, powered the car off 6 times, rebooted — nothing works. So I called road service. Nearly an hour has passed and they have still not contacted me. I’ll be clocking the response time but already have concluded that they don’t give a damned or they have so many failures that they just can’t keep up with them.

This is just one of many failures I’ve experienced in the last 2 weeks — nav stopped working, Pano roof has buckled and is letting in air and water, and now a charging failure.

I’ve been the first to defend Tesla but no more. This is the most unreliable car I have ever owned, up there with my 1970 E-type Jaguar. It’s become a laughing stock with my family and in my business.

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Maybe call the Supercharger number as a route to getting support?

5.6 miles from you is a Tesla Destination Charger (AC power not a supercharger) according to PlugShare. If you’re thinking it’s a supercharger issue this could rule it out as it’s AC power. Can grab a bite to eat as well while it charges.

1D74E489-5936-46DE-85B0-AF04922CB51D.png

Best of luck... I doubt the Supercharger team could help, as the whole facility is not likely to be out of service, unless someone there could flag Roadside quicker.

Art, assume it's your original 2013 S? Weird all these issues are cropping up now! Nearby destination charger is a good thought to see if the 'other charging' option works.

Art, assume it's your original 2013 S?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 2013. I know a couple 2013 owners and it's a similar story with those early cars -- multiple drivetrain replacements, various battery/charging issues, etc. I'm telling you, they made tons of tweaks/engineering changes in the early years such that new car owners simply don't deal with most of these issues. The only reliability issue I've really dealt with in my 2015 Model S to date (knock on wood) is various squeaks and rattles. Everything else has been either my own fault or wear and tear (e.g. cracking my pano roof, tire punctures, wheel cracks).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rouget
I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 2013. I know a couple 2013 owners and it's a similar story with those early cars -- multiple drivetrain replacements, various battery/charging issues, etc. I'm telling you, they made tons of tweaks/engineering changes in the early years such that new car owners simply don't deal with most of these issues. The only reliability issue I've really dealt with in my 2015 Model S to date (knock on wood) is various squeaks and rattles. Everything else has been either my own fault or wear and tear (e.g. cracking my pano roof, tire punctures, wheel cracks).
Yeah, I've heard stories.... and he has so many mods in that car (was looking again at his mod thread...) [meaning, hard to replace!]. These cars are definitely a work in progress, which is a problem for anyone getting a CPO of any age!

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 2013. I know a couple 2013 owners and it's a similar story with those early cars -- multiple drivetrain replacements, various battery/charging issues, etc. I'm telling you, they made tons of tweaks/engineering changes in the early years such that new car owners simply don't deal with most of these issues

And if I recall correctly he recently had Supercharging fail on this car and had to pay $2k to get the DC charging hardware replaced in the car. So i would have hoped that they updated the components to the newer design.

• Disagree
Reactions: davidc18 and Troy
I finally reached a road service rep and he was shocked to hear that after 90 minutes my call has still not been answered. He then stayed on the phone with me for 30 minutes walking me through all of the options. Gaus 10K was right.

The rep told me the superchargers had no power there at another station about 40 miles down I-95. Maybe they shut down in the storm. Using Plugshare I managed to find a Level 2 charger about 3 miles away. I went inside for about 20 minutes to get a bite to eat and when I came out power had been restored and the car was charging. So the car was not at fault. Perhaps I was too quick to blame Tesla, at least for the charging problem, and for that I'm sorry. But I still have the pano roof and nav issues.

I finally reached a road service rep and he was shocked to hear that after 90 minutes my call has still not been answered. He then stayed on the phone with me for 30 minutes walking me through all of the options. Gaus 10K was right.

The rep told me the superchargers had no power there at another station about 40 miles down I-95. Maybe they shut down in the storm. Using Plugshare I managed to find a Level 2 charger about 3 miles away. I went inside for about 20 minutes to get a bite to eat and when I came out power had been restored and the car was charging. So the car was not at fault. Perhaps I was too quick to blame Tesla, at least for the charging problem, and for that I'm sorry. But I still have the pano roof and nav issues.
Glad to hear it was handled. I never would have thought the whole location/station was down! Were the lights on the Superchargers out also or can’t you see those in the daytime? Haven’t been to a Supercharger in a bit and definitely not Northeast.

Did you at least remember to use the new feature of contacting Tesla Roadside via the touchscreen? Too soon? Jk

I suppose this could have all been avoided if the supercharger status on the UI was accurate. Glad it worked out in the end for you.

Glad to hear it was handled. I never would have thought the whole location/station was down! Were the lights on the Superchargers out also or can’t you see those in the daytime? Haven’t been to a Supercharger in a bit and definitely not Northeast.

I realized the whole facility was down when another owner drove up to charge and he had the same problem. At that point I had the rep on the phone. I have to imagine that the rep notified HQ and they restored power, but who knows. I'm grateful that the problem was solved, as I was envisioning a very bad day:)

Lots of people all over Maryland without power for days now from the recent wind storms; it's not surprising that a charging station is down and probably nothing Tesla can do about it. Baltimore Gas and Electric Storm Center