TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Responses to NAIAS questions

Discussion in 'Model S' started by brianman, Jan 18, 2012.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#1 brianman, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    The NAIAS wasn't as accommodating as Alan hoped, but sometimes e-mail can fit the bill.

A few of us on the forum had a number of questions that we collected and hoped to get answered at the NAIAS forum, but the forum member that attended didn't get useful answers. I figure it's worth giving it a shot through the official channels.

1. Interior - When do we expect to see an unveiling of interior updates? More specifically, the latest that I've seen is the Betas from October and am hoping for some newer pictures or videos on the progress. Even some sketches indicating the types of changes expected relative to the Beta would be greatly appreciated.
    2. Active Air Suspension - When should we expect more formal information to be published about the height settings available, and so forth. The information has been somewhat vague on these points thus far. "Does the air suspension keep the car level with hard cornering?"
    3. Seat adjustments - Which dimensions are adjustable for 8-way and 12-way?
    4. Battery upgrades - Is Tesla planning to offer these to customers, or working with a 3rd party (specification process, etc.)? Should we expect that only warranty-replacement batteries will be available until 2014 (or later)? Will a vehicle purchased with a 40 kWh battery be upgradable to an 85 kWh battery in a few years, and will the performance (0-60) improve as a result? When the technology advances will larger batteries (170 kWh) be compatible with the Model S?
    5. Warranty - Warranty coverage (and option?) information for more than the battery would be appreciated. Also, in what situations is the ranger fee waived?
    6. Phone app - What kind of data package is needed to let the iPhone app show you the car's condition? Or can it be done by having the car hook into your WiFi network at home? Will a Windows Phone 7 application be offered? Android?
    7. Navigation - Will the car be able to store maps you download at home for later use? If yes, is this part of the Tech Package or in the base offering?
    8. Design Studio - When is the full reveal of Model S Design Studio scheduled? Some believe February 9th in conjunction with the Model X introduction.
    9. Width - Is the Options & Pricing page width dimension accurate? The width is significantly less than previously published, and some of curious why.
    10. Battery Degradation - "Is the life of the battery pack pretty much the same for all versions - approximately 10 years - or will the 300 pack last 15 years compared to say 10 years for the 40 pack?" (The original question was pretty vague so perhaps adding "for typical use" or "for 30-60% daily battery use" would help narrow the question.)
    11. Front license plate - For states that require front license plates, some of us are concerned. We don't want to drill ugly holes into the front of our beautiful new vehicles. We don't want to sacrifice the aerodynamics or the aesthetics either. Will there be a recommended / supported way of addressing this concern? Will there be tow points available (many of the no-drill offerings for other vehicles make use of the tow points)? For those of us that want to discuss the topic with our state officials, can Tesla offer any specifics on the aerodynamic cost/impact of mounting the front license plate?
    12. Electrical protection - "Would like to know if there is any protection from power spikes or lightning as the Leaf does [video @ http://www.nissan-zeroemission.com/EN/LEAF/quality.html].
    13. Tires - Tire manufacturers and model numbers would be appreciated. Will we have options to choose from or just 1 choice for each of the four wheel choices?
    14. Wheels - What is the difference between the 21" and the 21" Performance wheels? The latter looks darker in the picture, but there's no documentation of the difference.
    15. Extra wheels - What is the cost of an extra set of wheels? (Some of us are considering getting a set for winter tires.) Presumably it's some base price + extra for Aero or 21", but it's unclear what that base price will be.
    16. Downgrading Sig - When "downgrading" from 21" to 19", choosing non-Multicoat, etc. the current "Options & Pricing" shows there's no credit for the downgrade. Is that firm, or is Tesla still considering this detail?
    17. Tech - Blind Spot Notification. Adaptive Speed Control. Heads up display. Etc. There are a number of technologies like this that are available on some competitor luxury models. I'm presuming none of these are available on the Model S produced in 2012. Nonetheless, when should we expect more details on what is standard (like perhaps "regular" cruise control, for example)?

Edit: I always forget something...
    Much thanks to Walter Franck (Ownership Experience Advocate) for his content rich response.

2. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Very helpful. Thanks.

3. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

We've certainly had our differences Brian, but this was really great. Thank you.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Thanks Brianman. Was hoping for a bit lower on the suspensions, but perhaps it's tweakable

5. grisnjam

grisnjam P6316

Great work and thanks for this.

6. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

When I saw the beta at the Bellevue store on Monday, the suspension was at its lowest position. There was very little space in the wheel well, and that was with the 19" wheels. I don't think they can go any lower!

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Well, guess I'll need to see it in person. I forgot the wheel wells were fairly close to wheels already

8. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

Great job Brianman - very informative and helpful!

9. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Fantastic! Thanks! I'm excited about the auto leveling on the air suspension, that's great when you load up the car. I wish that we had actual tire sizes though.

10. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

Great job getting real answers.

11. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Awesome post.

Little disappointed that it sounds like we won't get seat memory function in the standard seats...

12. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Thanks! This is some useful information!

13. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Brianman... that's exactly the type of information we are all seeking on this forum. Two thumbs to you dude.

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

In case it wasn't clear, most of the questions are based on the follow-up to Alan's offer to bring those questions to the representatives at NAIAS. Like others, I was hopeful that he'd get answers at that venue. Since the representatives weren't as helpful as hoped, I got impatient and went the e-mail route. :)

15. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Thanks for posting. I am in a front license plate state and the answer is what I was hoping for.

16. dmckinstry

dmckinstry Model S - U.S. P - #1649

Ditto. I'm in WA. A great set of questions and informative answers.

17. jbherman

jbherman Member

Thanks for the post Brian.

I'm a little perplexed as to why such a tehnologically advanced car would not have options for blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control, or heads up display. These features are becoming increasingly more prevalent in the luxury sedan market. I guess we can't have it all!

18. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I think it has more to do with Tesla trying to deliver their first car to market with as few errors as possible. The more things they add, the more can go wrong. They also have more limited engineering staff that a company like Mercedes or Lexus/Toyota does. I'm sure they'll look to add features like that down the road.

19. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

It's a matter of scale and cost, I'm guessing. The big guns such as BMW, MB, Lexus and others can cut costs (and get better deals with component suppliers) with scale and probably also do not expect to make too much of a margin (8% or so, someone said elsewhere on this forum?!) on their cars. Tesla needs to cut costs where it can and aim to make that 25% margin on the Model S that'll help their growth strategy. Needless to say, these "froth-on-the-top" features would probably be expensive for them and eat into the margin.

Thanks, Brian, for chasing these down! Your post helped me punt on the Air Suspension for sure.

20. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Interesting, it cuts the other way for me; this large range on the air suspension, plus the active-drive benefits in handling, have locked in my decision to get the air suspension (unless test drives prove otherwise).