TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Restarting Charging after power outage

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by znino, Jun 20, 2013.

1. znino

znino Member

First, i would like to say that Tesla needs to do an update on the iOS app that sends out notifications when certain situations happen, not the least of which is an early interrupted charge.

We had a neighborhood power outage early this morning while I was asleep and so the charging of the MS stopped before completion. I didn't really think about it and only realized when I got into the car. The screen showed Charging Stopped and of course, I was not at the full charge level I wanted.

I pressed "start Charging" on the screen and expected the charging to re-start but nothing happened (tried multiple times). I then tried to start the charging from the app and still nothing. Finally, I disconnected the charge cable, reconnected it and the car immediately started to charge.

My question is... after interrupted charging, following a power outage, is it normal behavior to have to disconnect and reconnect the charging cable in order to start the car charging again? Why did the Start Charging button on the screen or the app not work?

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I've had power outs but the car restarted charging and continued as if nothing had happened.

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

#3 ElSupreme, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    I have had numerous power outages (most only a blip) but some sustained. I don't think my utility cares too much about momentary power outages :cursing:! The car has always resumed charging.

I have only had a couple since the charge timer has been present. But it has resumed charging in that situation also, but it was still within the 6 hour grace period of when charging should start.

4. znino

znino Member

I was on timed start but also within the 6 hour window (2 in fact) so not sure why it didnt start charging again on its own and I had to unplug and plug the charge cable. Maybe a glitch...

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

As I understand, charging will restart within 15 minutes on a randomized timer after power is resupplied.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Also I think if the power goes on and off a few times in a row, it won't start charging again.

7. Mordi

Mordi Member

I had a similar experience charging at work yesterday. Somehow the J1772 power went out and the car never resumed charging (it had charged about 2 hours before the interruption). I checked the app and it indicated "not charging" and would not resume when I selected "start charging" on the app. Would be nice if the app would push a notification to my phone if charging is interrupted.

8. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

That's bad, recloser operation does just that.

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Generally speaking I leave the car unplugged when we have our rainy season thunderstorms, but:

I've had that happen and both the Roadster and the Model S resumed charging.

10. znino

znino Member

Amen to that! My Roadster app (3rd party) sends such notifications of interrupted charging along with the current state of charge when charging stopped.