Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Restore FM/XM Radio after Infotainment Upgrade

galvatron

Mar 15, 2020
WA
HI... I know there are already a lot of threads on this topic, but I had my MCU2 upgraded when it first came out before there was the option to keep FM/XM Radio. I just scheduled my appt to get the radio re-added for $500. But when I got the estimate approval email, it showed the following part number, which I haven't seen before and a search in this forum doesn't get any hits.

1618422364895.png

Has anyone seen this before on their invoice? I just want to make sure that they install the correct radio, as I thought others here have mentioned that there are different radios they could install depending on whether you had Ultra High Fidelity Sounds before.

Any ideas?

Art_Vandelay

Attractive Membrane
Jun 12, 2016
Elon’s left eyebrow
there are different radios they could install depending on whether you had Ultra High Fidelity Sounds before.

That was true for the radio tuner for MCU1, but Tuner2, for MCU2 vehicles as well as Model 3/Y, only has two versions, at least for the North American market... With and without XM capabilities, that's it.

So don't worry, as long as the Tuner2 being installed on your vehicle has the correct mounting bracket for your car, you'll be alright...

galvatron

Mar 15, 2020
WA
That was true for the radio tuner for MCU1, but Tuner2, for MCU2 vehicles as well as Model 3/Y, only has two versions, at least for the North American market... With and without XM capabilities, that's it.

So don't worry, as long as the Tuner2 being installed on your vehicle has the correct mounting bracket for your car, you'll be alright...
That's what I was worried about.. how do I know they have the correct Tuner2 version for my car... the one with the XM function, and not just FM only?

Art_Vandelay

Attractive Membrane
Jun 12, 2016
Elon’s left eyebrow
how do I know they have the correct Tuner2 version for my car...
The only way to find out is contacting your Service Center and make sure they install the Tuner2 with part number: 1143711-00-C.

From what we have read here on TMC, Service Centers in the US have the XM capable tuner, they just enable or disable the XM button on the vehicle's Gateway.config file so the MCU's UI either displays the button or it doesn't, depending on each vehicle configuration.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC