Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Restoring Supercharging on Salvage Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here is my story....
I purchased a salvage model S last year on Copart. Car had no body damage save for rear bumper cover being ripped off. It had been driven through a flash flood and insurance decided to write it off as they were unsure if there could be long term problems with it. Note, the car didn't even stop in the water and no water entered the cabin. I managed to track down the original owner and he told me the whole story. So I fixed the car and have now driven it over 6000 km without an error.
I even had ownership transferred to my Tesla account and it gets updates etc. I also had Tesla do a remote diagnostic which i needed for the salvage inspection and there were no issues. I have a letter from Tesla to prove it. So initially it was supercharging perfectly but recently has been cut off by Tesla.

So now, I'm a little bit upset to say the least and am looking for help to get supercharging restored. My take is that Tesla is concerned about safety, and they fully know that if a car is unsafe, it simply will not supercharge. It's a computer on wheels and has enough redundancy in its systems to truly determine if there are issues with its high voltage charging system. The supercharging was part of the initial car price and in my opinion Tesla should not be allowed to disable this feature. I don't use supercharging on a daily basis as i have a Tesla charger at home and just want to have the ability to supercharge when needed if i go on a long trip.

My argument also is if the original owner had never made an insurance claim, the car would have a clean title and the car would still be supercharging. Remember there was no actual bodywork involved.

So I'm looking for help to either root the car or some other way to enable supercharging again. I have researched the subject on all the usual forums and have reached out to the usual people, but everyone is silent.
Obviously there is a market for these services and I'm willing to pay someone to re-enable or to develop a system to do it.

If Mr Musk truly cared about the environment, he wouldn't want many perfectly good Tesla's to go to the landfill. This is nothing more than a power struggle and has nothing to do with safety. I absolutely love the cars and also have a model 3 which I purchased new.

Attachments

• IMG_4669.jpg
    IMG_4669.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,248
  • IMG_5420.jpg
    IMG_5420.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_5421.jpg
    IMG_5421.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_5422.jpg
    IMG_5422.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 265
Reactions: jthompson
I assure you Tesla does not care. They change their policies over time to suit their agenda. When I bought my first Tesla the ranger fee was $100 which eased my mind. A few months later it turned into $1,500 non-negotiable. Did they screw me? I think so. Did they screw you too? Yes. This is not surprising, it is unfortunate but I assure you all the complaining in the world will not change their mind. Good luck, I do hope there is a way to root your car and re-enabled SC'ing.

I assure you Tesla does not care. They change their policies over time to suit their agenda. When I bought my first Tesla the ranger fee was $100 which eased my mind. A few months later it turned into $1,500 non-negotiable. Did they screw me? I think so. Did they screw you too? Yes. This is not surprising, it is unfortunate but I assure you all the complaining in the world will not change their mind. Good luck, I do hope there is a way to root your car and re-enabled SC'ing.
What is a ranger fee?

Could Rich Rebuilds help with any of this? I've watched his videos on Youtube...

I've watched his stuff too, but from what I recall Tesla disabled supercharging on his salvaged titles as well. As far as I can tell (solely from watching Rich Rebuilds, so I'm far from an authority), a salvaged Model S/X gets supercharging disabled, Model 3/Y seem to be able to still use it even with a salvage title. I presume it must be a safety issue, the more stable charging architecture of the 3/Ys must make Tesla a little more confident in their life post salvage title than older models.

Also, I suspect you might have better luck with this topic in a different forum. If you go to the main forum page and see the different forums, you'll see there's one dedicated to "Supercharging & General Infrastructure."

Edit - whoops, I see this is a pretty old topic brought back up for another reason, nvm!

Last edited:
I've watched his stuff too, but from what I recall Tesla disabled supercharging on his salvaged titles as well. As far as I can tell (solely from watching Rich Rebuilds, so I'm far from an authority), a salvaged Model S/X gets supercharging disabled, Model 3/Y seem to be able to still use it even with a salvage title. I presume it must be a safety issue, the more stable charging architecture of the 3/Ys must make Tesla a little more confident in their life post salvage title than older models.

Also, I suspect you might have better luck with this topic in a different forum. If you go to the main forum page and see the different forums, you'll see there's one dedicated to "Supercharging & General Infrastructure."

Edit - whoops, I see this is a pretty old topic brought back up for another reason, nvm!

He loaned Doloris out to someone to do cross country road trip YouTube segment. Rich must gotten to trick Deloris to supercharge again.

I am desperate to restore Supercharging after it got disabled in October. Any help or direction would be so appreciated!
the only way that I know of to get supercharging and tesla to recognize the vehicle is for a tesla service center to inspect and certify that the repairs are within spec.
I think the fact that the car was deemed salvage adds to the complications that you face.

Reactions: X Fan