TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

restricted regeneration

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Brian May, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Brian May

Brian May Member

Hello,

We live on a mountain, and I was looking forward to seeing how well regeneration would work driving down the mountain.

Unfortunately, whenever I drive down the mountain, the Tesla has restricted the regeneration - the yellow dashed line appears on the graph, and we have to use brakes more often. There are two reasons I can see for this: 1. the battery is already as 100% charge (no, not the case), or 2. the battery is too cold to accept the charge and needs heating.

I tend to think this might be the issue, the battery is too cold. After we have been driving a bit, the restriction goes. As in when we a ready to drive back up the mountain, and no longer need the regeneration. We still regenerate more then what we use (about -0.5 to -0.7kwh), but am curious what the figures would be if there was no regeneration limit.

Just wondering if it was possible to preheat the battery?

(still experimenting with 0.8, however it looks like it has similar issues)

Regards

2. PJF000

PJF000 TOCA Member

There is a 3rd reason. The setting on your "settings" is not set to maximum regen.

3. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

You can preheat the battery by either charging right before you start driving, either timing your charge to be almost finished as you depart og by increasing the charge limit from the phone app to get the current to start flowing, but if you charge close to 100% or to a 100% then obviously regen will be límited because of that.

The other way to preheat is to active the climate control from the app, to heat the cabin (this does also preheat the battery, since the battery gets put to use to heat the car and warms up from that, and if the battery is cold the liquid temperature control system for the battery will preserve all the heat generated from internal resistance in order to get to an optimal working temperature faster.

• Informative x 1
  4. powerfactor

powerfactor Member

Enable "Max Battery Power" under your sport/insane/ludicrous option to heat/cool the battery to optimum temperature, have your charge below 97%, and like PJF000 said, enable normal regeneration.

5. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

Make sure range mode is off, also apparently you need dual chargers to use mains for the Ludicrous Max Battery Power setting.

Bear in mind, with Max Battery Power, the energy required is far more than any energy recuperated unless you live on top of a much larger mountain than anything in Australia or just about anywhere else, maybe not if you live on top of Pikes Peak CO?

• Like x 1
  6. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

#6 RichardMcN, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    On point 1, the battery does not have to be at 100% to restrict regeneration. 100% is just the point of zero regeneration. I have noticed restricted regeneration down to 90% at least. On a 100kW supercharger the charging rate starts tapering at well below 50% full, so I'm guessing that if you want heaps of regeneration (60kW or more?) you would need to be well under 80% full all the way down.

Maybe try going down the mountain starting with a low battery (<50%) and see if this is a factor.

Also the slower you go the better for regen for the same reason.

• Informative x 1
  7. Brian May

Brian May Member

I have noticed that the restricted regeneration can go on and off on the trip. At times a yellow exclamation mark appears to. Suspect it might be the outside air flowing past the battery and cooling it down, especially on some of the down hill parts. On the reverse trip back up the mountain (with not many km used on battery), the restricted regeneration disappears.

No, I can't really heat the cabin up, the cabin isn't cold enough to justify heating up.

Will be interesting to see what happens on a hot summer day.

I also should check if range mode is on or off - curiously I don't remember even seeing it right now.