TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Restricted spare parts

Discussion in 'Model S' started by EESP, Nov 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EESP

EESP Member

Is there a way (read: backdoor?) to get restricted spare parts?

I understand this might be a long shot, but worth the question. Need two small cables between the slave charger and HVJB, nothing used to find (usually goes with the HVJB), and part is restricted, so can't buy it over the counter.

2. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Highly unlikely. Your best bet is to constantly badger used parts sellers until you get what you need. You could also make them yourself. The connector housings and pins are off the shelf parts, you would just need a pin out.

3. appleguru

appleguru Member

Maybe try calling your local tesla authorized body shop and ask if they can order the parts for you?

4. demundus

demundus Member

The idea being... he can't. The body shop won't sell those to you because Tesla won't release them to the body shop without a VIN and a record of the damage etc... body shop would lose its Tesla cert doing that.

OP, make your own or find a salvage car thats fked and try to bargain for those parts.

@ the rest of the forum.... If he was in Massachusetts, would Tesla be legally compelled to sell him those parts?

5. appleguru

appleguru Member

Got a part number? I’ll ask and see what happens ;-)

6. EESP

EESP Member

Thanks for all replies!

I am in Norway (Europe) where you can also buy all non-restricted parts and access service manuals. Sadly enough, restricted parts are not available despite this being against consumer law/right to repair here.

Part number is 1037648-00-A, ASY,HV HARN,JB_CHGR,AC/DC,SSBR,SLV,GEN2.

Should not be very pricey, but that doesn't help much when I can't get them. Making myself is an option, as I have the necessary tools for this, but I don't know the connector type. Have to look into this. Salvage car is possible, but often, the cables go with the HVJB, so it's usually gone.

7. demundus

demundus Member

"Despite" meaning you haven't sent a strongly worded letter from your friend who is an attorney... yet. :)