Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Restricted UK Supercharger sites - parking restrictions / registering / pay to park etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This subject has come up several times and in different threads, but I thought this addition probably justifies its own thread. I'm one of the dozens of people that got caught with a fine from Parking Eye, after parking at Holiday Inn, in my case in the Scotch Corner/Darlington hotel on the A1. I appealed and in the interim Parking Eye passed it to a debt collection company called DCBL (Debt Collection Bailiffs Ltd), inflating the fine to £170, and I lost my nerve and paid it. I just completed an interview with the BBC, which they will be running on their 'Morning Live' program in the next week or so. My interview is part of a feature they're doing on issues with the national charging infrastructure. Obviously this is a nationally broadcast program that reaches millions, so hopefully it might make some small difference.

I gave Holiday Inn advance warning I was doing this interview, which I felt was fair and gave them a chance to refund the fine or in some other way recognise how absurd this all is, but they just referred me to the local hotel, and when I spoke with them the guy on reception told me that the signs are there and I should pay the fine. Remember that the signs are just a gaffer taped piece of A4 paper that flaps in the wind, per the photo I took a few weeks later. Comically, the taped paper sign might not even have been there when I charged: The guy on reception at the hotel told me that "Tesla keeps turning up and removing the signs". I asked if he had evidence of that, and to quote him verbatim, he said "no".

Anyway, the interview will be on BBC's Morning Live in the next week or so. Will update this thread when I have the exact date.

Charger taped paper.jpg

This subject has come up several times and in different threads, but I thought this addition probably justifies its own thread. I'm one of the dozens of people that got caught with a fine from Parking Eye, after parking at Holiday Inn, in my case in the Scotch Corner/Darlington hotel on the A1. I appealed and in the interim Parking Eye passed it to a debt collection company called DCBL (Debt Collection Bailiffs Ltd), inflating the fine to £170, and I lost my nerve and paid it. I just completed an interview with the BBC, in the next week or so. My interview is part of a feature they're doing on issues with the national charging infrastructure. Obviously this is a nationally broadcast program that reaches millions, so hopefully it might make some small difference.

I gave Holiday Inn advance warning I was doing this interview, which I felt was fair and gave them a chance to refund the fine or in some other way recognise how absurd this all is, but they just referred me to the local hotel, and when I spoke with them the guy on reception told me that the signs are there and I should pay the fine. Remember that the signs are just a gaffer taped piece of A4 paper that flaps in the wind, per the photo I took a few weeks later. Comically, the taped paper sign might not even have been there when I charged: The guy on reception at the hotel told me that "Tesla keeps turning up and removing the signs". I asked if he had evidence of that, and to quote him verbatim, he said "no".

Anyway, the interview will be on BBC's Morning Live in the next week or so. Will update this thread when I have the exact date.
It's fairly well known that in car parks you may need to pay, we have an existing thread on the topic which I've moved your post to. The tariff stuck to the supercharger is just somebodys attempt to try and help those that don't otherwise check, it's not an official notice as such.

As frustrating as it has been for you, what do you want to happen? You have a choice between a hotel you aren't staying at letting you use their facilities while your charge and you just need to obey their parking instructions, or for them to say "take away the superchargers, we get too much grief from Tesla owners who don't check"?

It's fairly well known that in car parks you may need to pay, we have an existing thread on the topic which I've moved your post to. The tariff stuck to the supercharger is just somebodys attempt to try and help those that don't otherwise check, it's not an official notice as such.

As frustrating as it has been for you, what do you want to happen? You have a choice between a hotel you aren't staying at letting you use their facilities while your charge and you just need to obey their parking instructions, or for them to say "take away the superchargers, we get too much grief from Tesla owners who don't check"

To answer your question of "what do you want to happen",

As frustrating as it has been for you, what do you want to happen? You have a choice between a hotel you aren't staying at letting you use their facilities while your charge and you just need to obey their parking instructions, or for them to say "take away the superchargers, we get too much grief from Tesla owners who don't check"?
The fact that people keep getting caught, a subset of whom report that on Twitter for example, tells me that this isn't actually well known. You're a moderator on a forum dedicated to Tesla ownership, so I'd like to gently suggest that your sense of what's well known is perhaps not representative. In relation to what I want to happen: I see no advantage to forcing Tesla owners to register their presence, but if Holiday Inn wants to force that then it needs to make it clearer - the existing signage doesn't cut it. As an aside, I've normally used the Holiday Inn facilities, not freeloading, including regularly eating their when I charged - But no more.

The fact that people keep getting caught, a subset of whom report that on Twitter for example, tells me that this isn't actually well known. You're a moderator on a forum dedicated to Tesla ownership, so I'd like to gently suggest that your sense of what's well known is perhaps not representative. In relation to what I want to happen: I see no advantage to forcing Tesla owners to register their presence, but if Holiday Inn wants to force that then it needs to make it clearer - the existing signage doesn't cut it. As an aside, I've normally used the Holiday Inn facilities, not freeloading, including regularly eating their when I charged - But no more.
I'm not going to argue with you, but I said "fairly well known" which is not the same as "well known", and this thread is proof that the topic has been discussed at length. It's certainly well known that using a car park can incur fees, even if your use is for charging.

If the signage does not meet the legal standards, then you can contest the charge like you can in any other car park. I'd suggest however that you didn't even check for signage which is what caught you out, even if there were bigger signs you'd not have seen them. When you select the supercharger location in the car it will also provide advice on parking details if they are anything unusual. I was in Inverness last week where it told me to take the ticket and press the help button on exit as I had so long free of charge. If that particular charger offers no such advice them take it up with Tesla as they need to correct it.

When you select the supercharger location in the car it will also provide advice on parking details if they are anything unusual.

The Tesla Website (for Scotch Corner) says "8 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 150kW. Please register your car registration number at reception to avoid any parking charges", that same info is on the Info when you click on the Supercharger PIN in SatNav. I think it would be handy if it told you that in a specific popup when you arrived as well - if I choose a supercharger whilst driving I wouldn't have read any Info at that time, and I wouldn't have a reason to specifically check it on arrival either.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
The Tesla Website (for Scotch Corner) says "8 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 150kW. Please register your car registration number at reception to avoid any parking charges", that same info is on the Info when you click on the Supercharger PIN in SatNav. I think it would be handy if it told you that in a specific popup when you arrived as well - if I choose a supercharger whilst driving I wouldn't have read any Info at that time, and I wouldn't have a reason to specifically check it on arrival either.
Yes, it would be perfect if they did, like the “busy supercharger location, 80% charge level set” message, but the info is still all there to advise you.

Yes, it would be perfect if they did, ...

Back in the day, when I had a secretary instead of modern-way of doing all my own typing and admin, those sorts of things would have been alerted to me ...

... its the fault of the software people not realising things that are helpful like that, and also what things need to be alerted - some folk better at this stuff than others, secretaries adapted accordingly. Solution: give all the Geek programmers PA's so that they learn the benefit.

Back in the day, when I had a secretary instead of modern-way of doing all my own typing and admin, those sorts of things would have been alerted to me ...

... its the fault of the software people not realising things that are helpful like that, and also what things need to be alerted - some folk better at this stuff than others, secretaries adapted accordingly. Solution: give all the Geek programmers PA's so that they learn the benefit.
I still have a Secretary but I do most of the typing etc., My secretary still thinks Tesla is a type of Spanish food like Paella. The modern living is so complex the 80s trained secretarial assistance is still not geared up to it.

Anyhow coming back to the whole issue of sending alerts etc., it is unclear what the exact arrangement is with Tesla and these hosts. Tesla says it maintains these chargers and no extra upkeep required. On site, notification if required is that to be done by the local host? Not sure what they agreed. It is possible to alert drivers regarding these parking restrictions - just like what others mentioned - parking restrictions or pay for parking, busy supercharger location, etc.,

Reactions: Stuart Watson
Please do not refer to these spurious and speculative invoices as "fines". They are not fines as no private companies can issue fines to individuals. In relation to parking, only councils can issue fines. It might seem like a slight difference, but it is an important one.
At best, the paperwork issued by Private Parking Companies are speculative invoices. They only way that the PPC can enforce these speculative invoice is to take you to court and try to build a case that you have breached a contract under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.

A fine issued by a local council is a very different thing.

That whole BBC Morning Live program was full of lies and misleading information about EV ownership and charging. I posted screenshots of all those lies in another EV forum. 3-star hotel chains such as Holiday Inn, Village Hotels and 4-star hotels in the city and close to beaches always charge for parking, and I'm yet to see one where the parking is free. If you're staying at those hotels, you can then go and enquire about free parking, and some sites such as Expedia or booking.com offer deals with free parking included. The car needs to be registered during check-in at the reception or using the touch screens. It is impossible to miss the parking eye signs, so your experience is surprising and unfortunate but not representative of any wider problems.

I‘m quite shocked reading this thread. “Parking-eye” fines, SuC’s placed in chargeable car parks, “denied access” to toilets, a 2 hour wait for a Canary Wharf Suc and other horrid restrictions… it sounds gruelling.

3 years ago I moved to the Algarve. I’m lucky, superchargers in Portugal (and Spain) are often at Boutique hotels, Golf courses and beautiful vineyards.
It’s rare for more than two of the eight bays to be in use.

Toilets are always on site and scrupulously clean. Tasty coffee and up-market snacks/meals always available.

To be fair, the majority of car parks have restrictions, are paid or ‘protected’ by ANPR in the U.K. these days and getting rarer for there not to be any at all.

I’ve never been ‘caught out’ by parking restrictions, to the point I actually make sure I check the relevant signage before leaving my car.

I also don’t subscribe to the notion that paying for charging means the parking is also free, likewise paying for parking means the charging is free.

Reactions: Stuart1714
I disagree !

Strongly disagree !

The Hilton (Heathrow one ) really irks me!

If it’s raining (it often is) you will get soaked walking to the hotel from the SuC.

All for what ? To stand in a queue at reception, sometimes trying to choose the “best queue” like being in a shitty supermarket where they move at different speeds…. All to get a “validation “ for your ticket.

Do you know how long some people take to check out at a hotel desk ?🤬

What good is that doing ?

It defeats the intent of the supercharger, which is supposed to be fast and efficient.

Ultimately competition will deal with these issues, sites like T5 which have more friction will just be avoided by the masses and other local sites with less friction will get more customers and be more profitable.

Ultimately the friction at T5 isn’t a dealbreaker and it’s actually a paid car park, if there was no free period and you cad to pay the £2.20 or what ever it costs, it probably wouldn’t stop you charging there in the short term.

Unlike somewhere like Scotch Corner or Kings Lynn where there is seemingly no reason for it. It also doesn’t stop anyone parking there as anyone can just walk in and validate on the tablet and walk out.

Ultimately competition will deal with these issues

I agree. I'm finding that a number of Destination Chargers, originally installed by forward-thinking landlord to attract custom, are being let-go if maintenance is needed. Whilst touring recently, and looking for lunch-stops that had destination chargers, there were a number with PlugShare comments like "Covered in mud and not working". Called the restaurant to ask if fixed (wasn't) so hopefully that was logged as a lost-sale.

Ultimately the friction at T5 isn’t a dealbreaker

Dunno if still the case? but the T5 Hilton used to offer Tesla Drivers a discount (restaurant etc.). I have no idea why they felt the need to provide an early-adopter location for the chargers AND a discount ...

The car park charging I understand. I used to have a lot of meeting where 2 or 3 of us would go, so we'd dump 2 cars in a carpark somewhere and go on in one car ... never gave the location any custom.

I was in the vicinity the other day, wanting a charge, and Heathrow popped up as a nearby SC. I remembered reading on here about "issues" at Heathrow but couldn't remember the details, so I pulled up the card, and it said something on the lines of, free parking 30 minutes, no access to hotel which is being used as a quarantine hotel.

OK, I guess that most people should realise that the quarantine hotel bit is out of date, but how on earth should anyone be expected to know that they are supposed to go in to a hotel that Tesla explicitly tells them they have no access to?

Anyway, 30 minutes sounded a bit short so in the end I went to Park Royal (which I know well and which was on my way anyway) so I've still never been to Heathrow. Managed to get a V3 stall at Park Royal so all was good.

Last edited: