TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Restrictions on Hong Kong Model S spec

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by cyrushk, May 13, 2014.

1. cyrushk

cyrushk Member

#1 cyrushk, May 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2015
    Confirmed with Tesla Rep today. No internet browser for Model S in Hong Kong

Moderator's Note: 2014/08/13 Tesla is now delivering Model S in Hong Kong with Internet Browser enabled. See the comments towards the end of this thread for updated information.

Moderator's Note: 2014/09/06 And now it has been disabled again. See the comments towards the end of this thread for updated information.

2. cyrushk

cyrushk Member

Forgot to ask internet radio. Do it when test drive RHD. But quite disappointed with no browser

3. Vmax

Vmax Member

Maybe they want to save on the data plan.
    cryushk, kindly also ask if Internet can be possible if we use our own data card.

4. sonywong

sonywong Member

No, I think Dept of transportation doesn't allow it.....hopefully backup camera is enabled.

5. cyrushk

cyrushk Member

Many feature has been removed I think. Laws for transport is too outdated in HK.

TD is really suck.

6. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

#6 Lerxt, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    No browser? What else has been left out? I would like to see official confirmation of this. Either way I'm sure it's hackable. As for the data in general they need to supply it because they use it for navigation and possibly also systems monitoring.

I would also add that I have been told totally wrong information from Tesla reps twice so I wouldn't believe what you hear without seeing it in writing.

There is no provision to put in your own data card as you'd need to dismantle the dash.

My Prius has a rear facing camera so it should be ok. Got to get something for our $29000 tech package...

7. Vmax

Vmax Member

RHD test drives in May 2014

The Tesla HK website still mentions all functionalities for the touchscreen, like Internet radio, web browsing, Google maps etc. I would be quite disappointed if they will be removed.

8. NoMorePetrol

NoMorePetrol Member

Ok, from these demo cars, we found out another function has been crippled! Do the HK Model S run a diff firmware?! After the no third-row option, now no web browsing, the HK gov once again shows us how rigid and behind they are!

No Web Browsing! Apparently HK gov does not allow it, so the whole Web button has been removed!

10257849_10152414739315396_7968039313667704738_n.jpg

9. sonywong

sonywong Member

I think transport department banned it. I know they banned all video player if it works when the car is in motion. I hope we can use the backup camera when the car is moving forward. But I don't understand why they banned the internet browser which doesn't support YouTube anyway.

10. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

Why not have the web browser activate when the car is stopped?

11. Vmax

Vmax Member

Exactly. Tesla should work with the TD about it.

12. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

From my understanding, the law bans video even when cars are stationary. Really not sure why the browser would be banned (so long as it can't display video) - I can't remember seeing any such restriction in the law, but will review anyway.

13. markwj

Confirmed not available:

1) homelink
    2) 3rd row children's seats
    3) UMC and mobile charging

Rumored not available:

1) web browser

14. markwj

#14 markwj, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    Regarding web browser, seems to be here:

CAP 374A regulation 37

Cap 374A reg 37 Visual display units (Road Traffic (Construction and Maintenance of Vehicles) Regulations; ROAD TRAFFIC ORDINANCE)

These HK regs are ridiculously restrictive.

15. Chris

Chris Member

Time to move out of HK?

16. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

17. markwj

Paraphrase is that the display can show camera views, navigation, and stuff about the vehicle itself. Nothing external, apart from those.

18. imherkimer

imherkimer Member

These restrictions seem severe enough that Model S may not be viable at all in the Hong Kong market.
    The 17" touch screen is integral to the car, no way around that at this point.
    Cannot be altered or removed without a complete rebuild of the car itself.
    Will the HK gov't actually force Model S out of the market?

19. NoMorePetrol

NoMorePetrol Member

Pyetty much confirmed. I posted a photo showing that the web icon has been completely removed from the ui.

20. markwj

Looking at the 'apps' currently available on the 17" screen:

• Media
    • Nav
    • Energy
    • Web
    • Camera
    • Phone

Seems that 'Web' is the only one to violate the regulation. The others are all about 'the current state of the vehicle or its equipment'.

What is concerning is any future App store. The 'navigation' exemption helps, but I can think of a lot of useful apps that don't fit in that category.

What is annoying is that IMHO these restrictions are fine, so long as they only relate to a vehicle in motion. I see no reason why these restrictions should be in place for a vehicle parked beside the road with the parking brake applied. Most other countries seem to have that exemption.