TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Restrictions on Hong Kong Model S spec

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by cyrushk, May 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Ben H

Ben H Member

Nice, thanks lx3h

Should not be hard for Tesla to produce right?

Can we start a petition somewhere so we make Tesla make this happen?

2. cynix

cynix Member

Nope, we don't have the browser at all, same as you guys.

3. mattse

mattse Member

We have some missing features compared to other countries and we have made some noise in the past (via Legco Councillor Mr Mok, meeting with TD and Ombudsman)

I remember we were told by TD that should Tesla HK make a formal application for some features, they will consider it. In other words, Tesla HK hasn't submitted the features for approval at all.

Shall we have a recap of what features are missing and any follow up action with different parties? So we can have a clear picture of what can be done to "unlock" the (currently) full potential of our cars
    1. Summon - I have no idea
    2. Web browser - ??someone mentioned TD claimed Tesla HK has not submitted it for approval? Shall we ask Tesla HK to do so?
    3. Calendar - opinions expressed via Legco Councillor Mr Mok, meeting with TD and Ombudsman, we can only wait
    4. Version 8.0 - hopefully TD review in progress

4. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

I wouldn't believe the TD in anything they tell us. This is political. I guarantee there is a lot more going on here than merely software for cars.
    Many of these features that have been banned ( in the infinite wisdom of those who manage 2000km of roads vs 6,500,000km in the US) are done on the whim of officials. There is little legal basis for it.

• Like x 1
  5. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Yep. They've banned on the general term 'roadworthiness'.

6. Frogwheels

Frogwheels Member

We HAVE to get together to campaign for the Transport Department to adapt their regulations to acommodate for next-gen (level 4 and 5) autonomy now. Just look at what's coming:

Tesla-Autonomous-Options.jpg

• Like x 1
  7. mattse

mattse Member

#267 mattse, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    I will thank TD this time for banning level 5 for years to come, it saves me from all the headache luvnMyTS is having

My outdated 2016 Model S

8. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk's Director of Education

Jon McNeill said it is very easy to produce browser and calendar at Park mode, and Tesla can surely do it, given that they have handled the most difficult challenge of producing AP2.0 software algorithm.

9. mattse

mattse Member

Look at this, I am sure our Calendar won't come back

The Ombudsman published a report on "Direct Investigation into Government Regulation of Special Transport Services to Persons with Mobility Difficulties" which criticizes the TD for not doing enough on special transport services yesterday
    http://ofomb.ombudsman.hk/abc/files/IR360_full_TC-9_3_2017.pdf

As usual, the Ombudsman did an in-depth investigation and listed a lot of data to support their conclusion. Yet, TD told everyone in their press release that the Ombudsman said "it (TD) was not proactive in assisting in enhancement of the services and improvement was not made until the Office of the Ombudsman stepped in to investigate" and so TD "expressed disagreement and disappointment with the above comments from the Ombudsman" and went on listing all the continued improvements they made
    TD's response to Ombudsman's direct investigation report

However, the Ombudsman did not say so:
    "The DI Report has not stated that "improvement was not made until the Office of the Ombudsman stepped in to investigate". The TD's comment is therefore incorrect."
    "As a matter of fact, the DI Report details in its Chapter 4 the actions that had been taken by the TD over the years in monitoring the performance of Rehabus."
    Office of The Ombudsman issues clarification concerning response to Direct Investigation Report

In the govt, we used to respect what the Ombudsman says and follow their recommendation as far as possible. In this case, the Ombudsman backup their claims with lots of data and the only thing TD does is lie about the report and tries to shift everyone's focus to something else........ As far as I remember, this is the first ever time when a govt department fires back at the Ombudsman in an unfriendly and dishonest way. I am pretty sure our complaint to the Ombudsman about the irrational ban on our Calendar will not result in any changes in TD even if the Ombudsman stands on our side...

10. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

Tesla should just leave an flaw in the system that allows a way for owners to jail break and get a browser and calendar app. Can they be held responsible if "hackers" put a browser in their car?

11. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

Tesla is not some half baked mainland manufacturer, it's a progressive, ethical first world company. Let's leave the backward, dodgyness out of it.

• Funny x 1
  12. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

Yikes, I should've used an emoji to indicate sarcasm first!

13. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Ombudsman already stood on the side of TD in that complaint. They closed the case, saying TD was justified.

14. flyingbathtub

flyingbathtub Member

Now we just got to wonder when 8.1 will arrive...