Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Restrictions on Hong Kong Model S spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Self-closing charge port is only available on cars with the US-style proprietary charge plug (i.e. North American and Japanese cars), because that charge port is smaller and has enough space for a closing motor. Cars that use the Mennekes type 2 plug don't have this feature.

Australian cars also don't have the browser. Annoying!

The emissions of the browser and the closing port I can live with. The fact that the child rear facing rear seats option is not available is a sticking point for some likely buyers.

The thing I find most annoying is the fact that North American cars come complete with Slacker Audio - a spotify style service built into the car's entertainment system. I think the reason for this is that Slacker is NOT available in Hong Kong and therefore does not have the licence to operate and therefore Tesla is legally not allowed to bundle it in.

This is why I would have liked them to have a native Spotify app rather than me having to have it Bluetooth the audio to the system.

Other problem (although this is consistent around the world) is that the Tesla does not support the iPod. The only music you can play via USB is through a FAT32 formatted thumb drive or flash memory stick. That is fine but the problem you end up having is that the music would not be well organized as it usually is via the iPod software and interface.

I am currently searching on the internet about how to move my iPod library to a USB stick in a way where the metadata is properly organized under the Tesla software interface.

In Hong Kong, we are not allowed to use the web browser , the home link , and the summon function .
For the web browser, if it is only available when the car is engaged in P gear, it won't be any hazard to the safety of the car. Similar to the DVD function which is allowed in many other cars.
There is no reason for the prohibition of home link and summon function .

Glaringly obvious that the government is not interested in implimenting modern technology as it becomes available.

While I'm not for every new feature being implemented immediately as soon as public betas become possible, I wouldn't be surprised if TD does not have a dedicated team or committee responsible for oversight of relevant new road tech.

So instead, TD's stance toward anything new seems to be a general ban hammer on any features/ manufactures that make headlines (especially if it is marketed as "Beta"). Were it not for last month's visit by Elon, TD might not have even cared.

If something new needs to pass some regulatory/ legal conditions than so be it, what i'm really disappointed with is the double standard that gets applied to Tesla because the company is making waves in HK. Other european and japanese brands have had cars with similar AP features. How come they were not banned? Is the remote park feature on the new 7 series banned as well?
I'm sure we'll get summon in HK eventually (it's too useful for our ever shrinking parking spaces). But it won't be before we the consumers and Tesla make a big fuss about it first.

edit:
Interestingly enough remote parking for the new 7 series is not yet allowed in the US.
Strange considering model S has it.

Last edited:
The TD has made Hong Kong look backward and foolish again by forcing the removal of the calendar app, citing that it has nothing to do with drivability.

What next? Remove the radio or Spotify? They don't improve the drivability either.

Another piece of sheer brilliance that will be turned around and make the TD and HK the laughing stock of the driving world.

Quite possibly the single stupidest software update of all time.
For anybody out there who hasn't had the joy of installing this golden nugget of nanny-state nincompoopery, behold:

tesla software update idiocy.jpg

I would have thought that the way the Calender app offers easy integration of addresses into the navigation would be a direct aid to driveability since it reduces the need for drivers to search for their destinations while in the car...
I agree. I use that app multiple times a day. I also use it on weekends with a number of errands entered as schedules. Tap to do one errand, then tap next.

It's a conspiracy! TD had the calendar app removed to make us forget about June 4th!

Between AP, summon and now the calendar app, China has better Tesla vehicles than we do. Let that sink in for a moment. CHINA...
never updating again before checking the 'hong kong' release notes.
which other car makes in HK can still sync calendar events? At this point its impossible to say that TM isn't being singled out as a manufacture.

At this point I wouldn't put it beyond TD to mandate that Tesla has to weld my frunk shut next time I go into service or when the X arrives to HK, TD is going to rule that the FWD pose a hazard and we won't be able to open them.

absolute ridiculousness by a government body funded by tax payer money.