Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Restrictions on Hong Kong Model S spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not familiar with Hong Kong's vehicle regulation. Is Hong Kong much stricter than mainland China next door?

To my understanding, China also has Summon.
Hong Kong does not (and probably never have) summon.

Transport Dept would rather hammer down any new feature considered alien to them and consider it a day's work in serving the public rather then investigate needs to change legislature.

To them, the laws that are in place (whenever they were written) are good enough to stand to the end of time.
This is a regulatory problem I can understand.

But when it something like the calendar app (which i'm sure other manufactures have) being singled out, then there's an issue.
If TD is going to twist and enforce archaic crap, fine but at least be consistent.
They don't need to make their anti tesla bias so obvious.

Honestly, this is a slap in the face to those of us who know better.

Reactions: newtman
Ok, i can understand you don't need browser. but what about calendar.

I need web browser. Not to visit NY Times while driving, but to run web apps. There are many useful web apps designed for Tesla, and I would like to use my own. Things like River's supercharger availability. These Apps are perfectly legal in Hong Kong (navigation, state of vehicle, etc), but blocked by Transport Department because they block the application they are delivered by (web browser).

...I confess I'm in the "It's distracting" camp...

The giant central display is not just for driver only, it's also passenger as well.

BMW may be good at manual driving and head-up display, but Tesla Autopilot will get better and better.

Eventually, Accident Avoidance Technology will take over the responsibility for distracting drivers and will make laws against texting, tweeting... obsolete.

From the article: "Other drivers, ... “The removal of certain features such as the calendar app are understandable, since I have always thought the big screen is a constant distraction,” he remarked."

Interestingly someone bought a model S while finding the touchscreen as a constant distraction. Did everyone test drive before placing a deposit?

As a consumer, we can always choose, to have a model S with the touchscreen, or any other car without such "distraction"

From the article: "Other drivers, ... “The removal of certain features such as the calendar app are understandable, since I have always thought the big screen is a constant distraction,” he remarked."

The driver seems to complain about the big size of the screen which means if you make it much smaller like It sounds like some think it is safer to get rid of the big screen and make it smaller.

May be the driver favors a small screen from BMW would do. Small size for driver and big size for rear passengers!

BMWRedesign_PS_7Series_overview_B11_intelligence01.jpg

If you make a screen less beautiful, less functional and much smaller, then sure that's much less distraction.

Does it make any sense to make something useless so you don't need to use it any more and thus, no distraction?

However, is there any worldwide statistics to hint that Tesla big gigantic screen for Calendar function has caused any accidents?

Or it's just a guess?

Or it's just a preference of BMW small display screen and not Tesla big screen?

...Surely no one is that stupid, there have to be other reasons...

I don't think it is about stupidity but if there's a law, not everyone interprets it the same. They may implement it according to one's advantage which might disadvantage the public in the process.

Whoever issued the prohibition might not be interested in using the technology in the first place so there's no incentive them in allowing it.

In the US, there's a dealership law and each state interprets the same law differently. Some allows Tesla to sell cars directly without going through an independent markup dealership because it clearly has never entered into a contract with a dealership yet thus, the law is not applicable. Other states read the same law and interpret as a prohibition for Tesla to sell cars directly and then create a new law to make that prohibition clear with not even a shadow of doubt. Tesla has worked with its fan to bring the issue to public awareness and has been successful in some instances such as the reversal of the prohibition of Tesla direct sales into the state of New Jersey (That was not an easy thing to do against a very popular and very powerful Governor and US Presidential hopeful Chris Christie.)

Last edited:
Hong Kong Free Press picks up the story:
Only in Hong Kong: Gov't forces Tesla to remove calendar app from cars | Hong Kong Free Press
I commented on the HKFP website. I'm with the Transport Department. I'm sure my comment will infuriate many on this forum. Anyone who has personally tried and failed to save a dying pedestrian hit by a car is welcome to disagree with me - anyone who hasn't is on thin moral ice if they wish to argue for the right to review their calendar while supposedly/legally/morally responsible for piloting over two tons of very rapid metal.

Having a pretty lady sitting next to you is distracting too but they are not banning that.
Scientific studies show that speaking to a passenger is less likely to result in an accident than speaking to a third party on the telephone - even a hand-free. The reason hasn't been 'proven' but the theory is that a passenger understands the driver is multitasking, and does not expect the driver to keep up the same attention to the conversation if road conditions or navigation becomes challenging - so the driver can speak to the passenger when he or she has enough spare brain power. This applies even if the passenger is attractive - all drivers know that competence is sexy and crashes are not.

Jason,
I disagree with your previous statement. The reason for that is that removing the calendar will not help increase the safety as
a) this seems to only have been done for Tesla and not consequently for all cars (incl. portable GPS systems like Garmin)
b) people still have mobile phones and will use those instead.

So whereas we could have taken the reasonable approach to say "Nope sorry you can't use it while the car moves" we now force people to fall back onto their notes / mobile phones and then type the address into the GPS (and I am sure people will do that while the car is moving). So instead of making it as easy for people to avoid distraction this achieves quite the opposite in my opinion.

Also why then aren't music players forbidden in the car ? By changing a radio station / CD / USB stick you are at a minimum equally distracted. And there are a other examples. (e.g. enter address into your GPS while driving, adjusting your heating or A/C control etc. ) which don't help you with your driving but rather distract.

Just my 50 cent
Oliver

...Scientific studies...

You are picking and choosing a law just like how the dealership are in the USA.

Talking is a well known distraction whether to a passenger, handheld cell phone or even Bluetooth cell phone:

Talking to Your Car Is Just As Dangerous As Talking on Your Phone

Operation Span (OSPAN) goes from least distraction of 0 to worst or most at 5:

Governments all over the world pick and choose what is best beneficial to them such as to encourage Bluetooth Cell Phone so they can have a good business relationship with the cell phone industry but scientifically, that's disastrous to the public safety.

It's the same way after the USA was attacked in 9/11, airport security was rigidly enforce except you could bring your cigarette lighter on board (so the government would have a good working relationship with the tobacco industry.)

Life is not perfect, so don't be naive because laws all over the world are a system of who would benefit best, not necessarily the public.

The trick is how you can balance public safety and technology.

And that's what Tesla is doing. Tesla Accident Avoidance System will get better and better to make sure your car will not run over a pedestrian even when you are distracted from driving.

CAP374A Regulation 37

Cap 374A reg 37 Visual display units (Road Traffic (Construction and Maintenance of Vehicles) Regulations; ROAD TRAFFIC ORDINANCE)

This is what you are allowed on an in-car display:

• (a) information about the current state of the vehicle or its equipment;
    (b) the current closed-circuit view of any part of the vehicle or the area surrounding the vehicle;
    (c) information about the current location of the vehicle; or
    (d) any other information which is only for the purpose of navigating the vehicle,
No clock. No date. No audio. No telephone. etc. All those have been permitted by Transport Department selectively enforcing (turning a blind eye). They have to do this because the legislation is ludicrously restrictive. According to CAP374A Regulation 37, no modern vehicles should be permitted on the road as they all violate this regulation. Name me one car built in the past 20 years that doesn't violate the letter of that law.

My response to the 'it is distracting' opinion is that if the purpose of this legislation is to avoid distracting information appearing on in-car displays, then why is this not permitted while the vehicle parking brake is applied (or vehicle is not in motion). There is ample precedent. For example, the in-car mobile phone regulations (CAP374G regulation 42 Cap 374G reg 42 General driving rules (ROAD TRAFFIC (TRAFFIC CONTROL) REGULATIONS; ROAD TRAFFIC ORDINANCE)) is much less restrictive:

• if a motor vehicle being driven by him is in motion-

• (i) use a mobile telephone while holding it in his hand or between his head and shoulder;
      (ii) use any other telecommunications equipment while holding it in his hand; or
      (iii) use, while holding in his hand, any accessory to-

• (A) a mobile telephone; or
        (B) any other telecommunications equipment. (L.N. 192 of 2000)
So you cannot hold a mobile phone (or wedge it between your head and shoulder) while the vehicle is in motion. No restrictions on using a mobile phone in a docking cradle on the dashboard. Which is why this ludicrous setup is perfectly legal:

hong-kong-taxi-driver-phone.png

If it isn't legal, then have any Transport Department officials or Police Officers ever travelled in a Hong Kong taxi? I can't remember the last time I went in one that didn't have at least two or three phones strapped to the dashboard.

On another forum, Robert summarised it well:

The problem is legislation not keeping up with technology. 10 years ago, nearly all cell phones had physical number buttons which you had to press. Now everything is controlled using LCD screen. Similar argument is eg. air-conditioning or radios. The original intention of the legislation (presumably to prevent driver distraction by TV screens) is now no longer realistic/achievable since you can't prevent someone putting a cellphone with a screen in their car, as long as it is not part of the car's equipment. If you want to properly enforce the regulation, then HK will be thrown back to the stone age in terms of present vehicle equipment. Any harm that the regulation was intended to counter can be adequately addressed using other parts of the legislation preventing careless/dangerous driving. The solution lies with the Secretary for Transport who can repeal Reg 37 of the Road Traffic (Construction and Maintenance of Vehicles) Regulations.

Furthering this example, imagine if there was legislation years ago that said cellphones had to have physical buttons and could only run apps directly related to placing and receiving phone calls. Then when the iPhone was released, OFTA would ban the calendar app as illegal (along with more than 500,000 Apps since released). Now, imagine they didn't update the legislation for 5 or 10 years. That is CAP374A regulation 37.

I don't think it is about stupidity but if there's a law, not everyone interprets it the same. They may implement it according to one's advantage which might disadvantage the public in the process.

For me, it's not just about stupidity, it's about unfairness, I believe Tesla is not the only car with in-car display not satisfying the requirement of Cap 374A (I will start searching and reporting), if TD decides to ban Tesla's calendar app, they should ban all other car models with "illegal" in-car displays

And for the stupidity part, take a look at this:
Cap 200 s 148 Indecency in public (CRIMES ORDINANCE)
If your neighbour sees your naked body through a window or door, you commit a crime. But have you heard of anyone being caught for being naked at home? No, the police would arrest the neighbour instead (if they are to arrest anyone) coz they are not stupid

Many parts of the HK laws is written in similar way, you can always apply it strictly to cause nuisances or use common sense (I know, common sense is not common)

I just called 2829 5222, and told them I was an owner and wanted to understand their reasoning behind the application of the rule. I urge other fellow owners to also call and understand their reasoning behind it.

It seems that they have already received quite a bit of calls, so perhaps keeping up the pressure can make something happen to this unreasonable and selective application of this rule.