Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Results: Car Rally Victoria to Tofino for charity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ugliest1

S85: "Sparky"
Supporting Member
Aug 19, 2013
Victoria BC Canada
The We Rage We Weep foundation, a Victoria non-profit helping those stricken with Alzheimer’s and their caregivers, has organized a car rally the past three years from Victoria to Tofino on Vancouver Island, a 318km journey. My wife and I entered the rally this year to support the cause and because we have never done anything like this before.

The rally started on Saturday April 26th in Victoria at Phillip Nygen's Mens and Womens Clothing Store where we signed our waiver forms absolving the non-profit from speeding tickets etc, and picked up the first of five sealed envelopes holding a playing card that we would use at the end of the day to (hopefully) have the best poker hand and win a prize. In the parking lot nearly all the other drivers came over to the Model S and wanted to see all the bells and whistles. Then it was off to the first checkpoint. At each checkpoint everyone met up and chatted for a few minutes. No travel times etc were recorded as this was not a “race”. Once everyone arrived we all received another new sealed playing card and we were off to the next checkpoint. The scenic drive to Tofino is made for a Tesla with plenty of cornering and even a few passing lanes :).

Once we arrived in Tofino we checked in to our hotel (two nights provided as part of the rally entry fee). That night at the complementary dinner there was a short presentation on the foundation and work it does, a silent auction, voted prizes for Best In Show and Hard Luck Award (given to the driver who kept his convertible top down the entire way, even through squalls and a couple of big downpours), door prizes for everyone, gifts for everyone from one of the sponsors, and much discussion and laughter. Several couples have participated in all three rallies. It was huge fun; we met great people, took several walks in the rainforest and on a couple of beaches viewing the astounding scenery the next day, and had a leisurely drive back to Victoria today. There are some 90A Sun Country chargers at a couple of establishments to recharge fairly quickly - we had a fabulous lunch at the Wickaninish while getting some added drive-around kw.

There were 13 cars: Jaguars, Mercedes, Porsches, a Dodge, and one lone Tesla Model S! The Model S, and electric cars, and range, and how long do charges take, and can we get back to Victoria, etc seemed to be the major topic of conversations the whole weekend. I don’t know if I made any sales, but certainly several myths were dispelled.

I’m posting this on TMC because I’d like to see a bunch of Teslas (any of three models!) entered next year, from the Vancouver Island area or even Vancouver or Seattle if you’d like a few days of R&R and don’t mind the additional ferry ride. So this is advance warning to consider keeping this time frame open next year. If you want more information PM me. Cheers!

No problems doing the 318 km on a single charge, I assume? Did you do a range charge overnight just to be sure?
Yes, range charged to 100% Friday night, and after all the hills, curves, and acceleration I had 66km Rated as I pulled into the hotel in Tofino. Lunch next day & beach walk while at SC 90A added about 180km (a little over two hours on the EVSE); next morning at breakfast a little over an hour on another SC90A and we had about 340 km RM, which we thought was ok given we knew the route back and where chargers were. One thing I tried from reading another blog somewhere on TMC was to keep the KW meter (orange) *AT OR BELOW 40*, even on hills etc. That seemed to make quite a difference in range. We stopped in Duncan with 61 km to go and only 54 km on the meter, so decided to do a s-l-o-w 50 minute charge over lunch at the public 30A EVSE to get to 75 km RM. Made it home with 11km RM. Did I mention how much fun, smooth, agile, relaxing, etc etc driving the S was? Well, it was!!

And winning the poker hand was...?
Pair of 9's. 2nd: pair of 8's, queen kicker; 3rd: pair of 8's, 10 kicker. Our hand: pai gow (nothing) - king high.