Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retention of registration mark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a question about the procedure to keep my car plate number. I'm going to pick up my Tesla soon and DS asked me to provide him the certificate of retention.
My question is, after applying for retention of registration mark with TD, they will assign a new mark to my current car, but do I need to go right away to a garage to put on the new plate or do we have a delay like few days ?

Thanks

Hi all,

I have a question about the procedure to keep my car plate number. I'm going to pick up my Tesla soon and DS asked me to provide him the certificate of retention.
My question is, after applying for retention of registration mark with TD, they will assign a new mark to my current car, but do I need to go right away to a garage to put on the new plate or do we have a delay like few days ?

Thanks

I just did what you described last week. You go TD with your current registration paper and screen label, pay up to retain your current registration #, you have a new # for your current car. So you shouldn't be driving around with a new registration screen label and number plate of the retained registration #. Now drive to nearby shop pay up $200 to have new front/rear plates done.