Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retiring the "TMC" style and other forum changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed words that the poster didn't intend to have links are now getting links that take us to another site; it's a form of advertisement I suppose but its a pain because I am expecting info related to Tesla when I click on the link. Two examples, a poster used the word superchargers and it was linked to a site selling automotive engine superchargers. Another poster was talking about chrome trim and the word was linked to a site selling chrome pieces. Wall mart was another but I figured no poster in his/her right mind would make that link. Just a small *itch. Thanks for all the work you do to make this site a very enjoyable experience.
Tommy, you might check to see what viruses you have on your computer. I haven't experienced anything like what you describe.

I get the links while not logged in, yes. Looks like something called "SkimWords" is doing it...

Ok, so since this just started to happen on TMC, is it related to TMC's new format? I have a mac and doubt its a virus on my computer.

P.S. Did a little research on "Skimwords"; what I gather is "Skimwords" offers a means of revenue for a web site by automatically linking key words that users would have an interest in to subscribers of Skimwords. The unintended consequence is the link can be really out in left field as it relates to the topic being discussed (not to mention that the poster didn't intend to make the link in the first place). Quite a few discussions on various forums about if it can be turned off as some people find it annoying.

Last edited:
Any chance of getting a "new posts" button at the bottom of the page? I read mostly on a mobile phone, newest posts at bottom, 20 per page and I need to scroll all the way to the top to press the "new posts" button. The "top" button takes to long to repaint the page. Thanks Doug for consideration!
Should be easy enough to add a "New Posts" link next to the "Top" link. Give me a few days. Do you read the full site on a phone? No problems doing that? I do have a couple mobile style options that I haven't had a chance to implement yet. We have an old one that was designed for the WinMo4 days that is now broke, but I think I can fix it. There is also a new default mobile style, but it's rather lame. I'll put more effort into that if it's something people would use.

I'd love to see a "mark thread as read" option on those pages (like New Post Search Results, or the general forum listing).
That's possible. But it's not a standard feature. The more add-ons, the more chance they'll conflict with each other. And the more chance they'll break on the next update. Everything we have running now, I tested for a couple weeks and rehearsed installing and in what order. I'd have to do similar testing on that kind of feature.

It would be nice if while viewing the stream it would "push" new posts to the stream.
Would be nice, but probably not worth it. Sounds like it would up the server load.

Should be easy enough to add a "New Posts" link next to the "Top" link. Give me a few days. Do you read the full site on a phone? No problems doing that? I do have a couple mobile style options that I haven't had a chance to implement yet. We have an old one that was designed for the WinMo4 days that is now broke, but I think I can fix it. There is also a new default mobile style, but it's rather lame. I'll put more effort into that if it's something people would use.

I do and actually don't mind the TMC2012 view on my phone. I like always viewing the forum the same way on all my devices (I have several). From my standpoint, that was my only nit and I'll be using the bottom "New Posts" button on all my devices. Thanks Doug!

Any chance of getting a "new posts" button at the bottom of the page?
Done. Well, as a link in the footer anyhow.

What happened to Search? When I use advanced search the results don't seem to be in reverse chronological order anymore. What scheme is it using the order the results?
No idea. You'd think relevance maybe? That search has always been a bit of a black box to me and is a major gripe on the vB forums. You can find things, but you really have to know what you're looking for. I typically get better results with Google and haven't bothered with the standard search for a while now.

Please add meaningful tags to threads!

The changes to search results are going to cause me some grief. Chronological order worked well because the forum has a lot of old history that isn't so relevant anymore. Having really old threads pop up at the top of the list causes me to have to sift through a lot more results before I can find what I was seeking.

The changes to search results are going to cause me some grief. Chronological order worked well because the forum has a lot of old history that isn't so relevant anymore. Having really old threads pop up at the top of the list causes me to have to sift through a lot more results before I can find what I was seeking.
I didn't make any changes to how search works. There may be some difference in this version of the software, but I'm not aware of it. Did you use advanced search before? You can go to the "vB4 default style" and try the old search box, but you should be able to get the same results with advanced search.

What happened to Search? When I use advanced search the results don't seem to be in reverse chronological order anymore. What scheme is it using the order the results?

In advanced search there is a drop down additional option to choose "Date" or "Relevance" and save those setting in your profile. You can still get reverse chronological order that way:

Untitled.jpg

In standard search just to the top right of the results there is a "Sort by" dropdown. Choosing "Date" gives you reverse chronological order:

Untitled.jpg

I see a "Calendar" link in the upper toolbar, but it is stuck in 2010. Do you plan to use that in the future?
Turns out this was a setting. The previous range it was set for was 2004 to 2010. That was probably set in 2006. I've now fixed it so that it includes the present and should be good till 2020. We've never made use of it, but people are free to do so.

In advanced search there is a drop down additional option to choose "Date" or "Relevance" and save those setting in your profile. You can still get reverse chronological order that way:
In standard search just to the top right of the results there is a "Sort by" dropdown. Choosing "Date" gives you reverse chronological order:

You should stick that in the [wiki]Guide to TMC Features[/wiki] wiki.