TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Retiring the "TMC" style and other forum changes

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by doug, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Tommy, you might check to see what viruses you have on your computer. I haven't experienced anything like what you describe.

2. Tommy

Tommy Member

It appears to happen when I am not logged into the TMC forum; please try reading this post while not logged in and let me know if there are links.

3. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I get the links while not logged in, yes. Looks like something called "SkimWords" is doing it...

4. Tommy

Tommy Member

#44 Tommy, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    Ok, so since this just started to happen on TMC, is it related to TMC's new format? I have a mac and doubt its a virus on my computer.

P.S. Did a little research on "Skimwords"; what I gather is "Skimwords" offers a means of revenue for a web site by automatically linking key words that users would have an interest in to subscribers of Skimwords. The unintended consequence is the link can be really out in left field as it relates to the topic being discussed (not to mention that the poster didn't intend to make the link in the first place). Quite a few discussions on various forums about if it can be turned off as some people find it annoying.

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Sorry, too many switches. The new software does have SkimWords. It's now been disabled.

6. doug

Should be easy enough to add a "New Posts" link next to the "Top" link. Give me a few days. Do you read the full site on a phone? No problems doing that? I do have a couple mobile style options that I haven't had a chance to implement yet. We have an old one that was designed for the WinMo4 days that is now broke, but I think I can fix it. There is also a new default mobile style, but it's rather lame. I'll put more effort into that if it's something people would use.

That's possible. But it's not a standard feature. The more add-ons, the more chance they'll conflict with each other. And the more chance they'll break on the next update. Everything we have running now, I tested for a couple weeks and rehearsed installing and in what order. I'd have to do similar testing on that kind of feature.

Would be nice, but probably not worth it. Sounds like it would up the server load.

7. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I do and actually don't mind the TMC2012 view on my phone. I like always viewing the forum the same way on all my devices (I have several). From my standpoint, that was my only nit and I'll be using the bottom "New Posts" button on all my devices. Thanks Doug!

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

What happened to Search? When I use advanced search the results don't seem to be in reverse chronological order anymore. What scheme is it using the order the results?

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Wow, now the "Stickies" are really well highlighted.

Thanks Doug!

(I had to put my sunglasses on! :cool:)

10. doug

Done. Well, as a link in the footer anyhow.

No idea. You'd think relevance maybe? That search has always been a bit of a black box to me and is a major gripe on the vB forums. You can find things, but you really have to know what you're looking for. I typically get better results with Google and haven't bothered with the standard search for a while now.

Please add meaningful tags to threads!

11. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

I see a "Calendar" link in the upper toolbar, but it is stuck in 2010. Do you plan to use that in the future?

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

The changes to search results are going to cause me some grief. Chronological order worked well because the forum has a lot of old history that isn't so relevant anymore. Having really old threads pop up at the top of the list causes me to have to sift through a lot more results before I can find what I was seeking.

13. doug

I didn't make any changes to how search works. There may be some difference in this version of the software, but I'm not aware of it. Did you use advanced search before? You can go to the "vB4 default style" and try the old search box, but you should be able to get the same results with advanced search.

14. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Woohoo! Just used it about 10 times! This makes it much easier to read on a phone and my other devices, thanks again Doug!

15. doug

You know we've never used the Calendar feature in six years and now that I look at it, it won't show later than 2010. I'll have to investigate.

16. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

In advanced search there is a drop down additional option to choose "Date" or "Relevance" and save those setting in your profile. You can still get reverse chronological order that way:

Untitled.jpg

In standard search just to the top right of the results there is a "Sort by" dropdown. Choosing "Date" gives you reverse chronological order:

Untitled.jpg

17. doug

Turns out this was a setting. The previous range it was set for was 2004 to 2010. That was probably set in 2006. I've now fixed it so that it includes the present and should be good till 2020. We've never made use of it, but people are free to do so.

18. doug

You should stick that in the [wiki]Guide to TMC Features[/wiki] wiki.

19. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Done. BTW, I get a variety of "you're not authorized" warnings trying to do various things on the "Wiki" threads/posts. Probably not a bad thing as I'm a complete amateur at Wiki, but it is making me search for workarounds.

20. doug

like what?