Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reto Fitting the Tesla Blind Spot Detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be a silly question but as well as agreeing to sell you the hardware have they also agreed that they can enable this feature in software? Given that autopilot is an all or nothing set of features I'd be surprised if this was readily possible, and enabling this piecemeal would be a real hassle for them from a testing point of view, since your car will have a combination of features that was never offered for sale.

If your mirrors are set properly, you don't need blind spot detection.
Most people have the side mirrors set so they see the edge of the car. This leaves a HUGE blind spot.

You should have your mirrors set so you can see the edge of your car if you move your head 2-3 inches to either side. If you really need to make sure the side of the car is still there, just move your head 2-3 inches to the side you want to check on.
If you have the mirrors set this way, you won't have a blind spot. Try it for 3 days, and then see if you want to go back to the old way.

Most people have the side mirrors set so they see the edge of the car. This leaves a HUGE blind spot.

You should have your mirrors set so you can see the edge of your car if you move your head 2-3 inches to either side. If you really need to make sure the side of the car is still there, just move your head 2-3 inches to the side you want to check on.
If you have the mirrors set this way, you won't have a blind spot. Try it for 3 days, and then see if you want to go back to the old way.

On my car adjusting the mirrors all the way out still leaves a small blind spot. The adjustment is about 5 mm too short. (I don't know if that's just my car.) However, using the backup camera eliminates all the blind spots. I hardly ever look at the wing mirrors any more.

If your mirrors are set properly, you don't need blind spot detection..

What has need got to do with anything? None of us needs a $100k luxury high performance electric car. None of us needs parking sensors, or seat heaters or satnav or even a radio. We don't need leather or 21" wheels or metallic paint or a panoramic sunroof, or keyless go or an iPhone app for remote access. We certainly don't need cruise control or calendar sync or GPS aware air suspension.

+1 - I learned this at a Driver Training Course I did a few years ago. The instructor walks around the car and if you position your mirrors correctly you can see the instructor at all times with minimal movement of your head. It takes some getting used to but my wife also now loves the new mirror position.
As my instructor said, you don't see race car drivers shoulder checking!