Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Francis Lau

P-1456
May 27, 2012
Bellevue, WA
I am thinking of installing one of these retractable cord reels in my garage. Either from the ceiling or wall.

137_01.jpg

M-evse-llc-ev-charger-overhead-parking-garage.jpg

Has anyone installed one? Or researched one?

shokunin

P85 & M3
Feb 28, 2012
Irvine, CA
I have Cox Reels electrical and pneumatic hose reels in my workshop. I have it setup for less for 120v at 15A. Not sure if they'd be rated for 230v and what specific amperage. The mechanism that allows for the reels to move seems a bit iffy for high amperage use and arcing. In my case the Cox reel has a copper hub and spring loaded arc shaped copper "brake" that applies pressure to hub while allowing it to rotate freely while passing current.

Depending on the length of cable, you'll have to upsize as cables will heat up more so as they are coiled versus uncoiled.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Nov 28, 2006
SF Bay Area
_MG_8234.jpg

Roadster folks have done something similar. It's better not to have the cord coiled up. Perhaps just a counterweight system that keeps most of the cord out of the way.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
The Model S cable is so much thinner and lighter doing something like this picture above should be much easier too.

donauker

Sep 5, 2006
Roadster folks have done something similar. It's better not to have the cord coiled up. Perhaps just a counterweight system that keeps most of the cord out of the way.

I currently have a dual counterweight system for my two chargers. I will need to add a third one upon arrival of the Model S. Roadster connector is retracted next to right door opener.

Slide 25.JPG

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I'd be very careful that the cable does not overheat. When you're running a cable at full power it needs a way to dissipate the heat generated, and coiling it up would significantly hinder that.

shokunin

P85 & M3
Feb 28, 2012
Irvine, CA
Just realized, the retractable coil wouldn't work unless you cut your UMC cable after the electronics box and spliced the cable through the hose reel. Either that or you'll have to make a very short UMC cable attached to the hose reel.

The counterweight seems to be the best bet.

• Helpful
Reactions: S0XY

ckessel

Jan 15, 2011
I'm definitely going to setup something like donauker has, but I need to see how long the cable is before I do it since I'm not sure how much room I have to play. My intent was a pulley type system that holds the charging cable. Sort of like these, put a couple on either side of the garage door to arch the cable from the wall well over the car (but below the garage door rails).
1004805_PC3_A_400.jpg

RDoc

S85D
Aug 24, 2012
Boston North Shore
When I start getting set up for my X I'll do something similar, although I do think the coiled systems are a bit questionable due to heating. I plan on keeping it as open as possible and sized so it can't get down to the floor.

That retracting reel CKessel shows looks interesting, where did you get it?

ckessel

Jan 15, 2011
When I start getting set up for my X I'll do something similar, although I do think the coiled systems are a bit questionable due to heating. I plan on keeping it as open as possible and sized so it can't get down to the floor.

Googling for "retractable garage pulley" or some such :) I haven't bought it, but it's the sort of thing I had in mind.

ElSupreme

Model S 03182
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA

Googling for "retractable garage pulley" or some such :) I haven't bought it, but it's the sort of thing I had in mind.

Try searching for the term 'tool balancer'.

Francis Lau

P-1456
May 27, 2012
Bellevue, WA
Great feedback from everyone. Thanks. I found a reel that supports up to 55 amps but I think I like the counter weight/pulley option better. I will start searching for options and post info when I find out more.

Francis Lau

P-1456
May 27, 2012
Bellevue, WA

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC