TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Retractable cord reel for the Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Francis Lau, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

I am thinking of installing one of these retractable cord reels in my garage. Either from the ceiling or wall.

137_01.jpg

M-evse-llc-ev-charger-overhead-parking-garage.jpg

Has anyone installed one? Or researched one?

2. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

I have Cox Reels electrical and pneumatic hose reels in my workshop. I have it setup for less for 120v at 15A. Not sure if they'd be rated for 230v and what specific amperage. The mechanism that allows for the reels to move seems a bit iffy for high amperage use and arcing. In my case the Cox reel has a copper hub and spring loaded arc shaped copper "brake" that applies pressure to hub while allowing it to rotate freely while passing current.

Depending on the length of cable, you'll have to upsize as cables will heat up more so as they are coiled versus uncoiled.

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

_MG_8234.jpg

Roadster folks have done something similar. It's better not to have the cord coiled up. Perhaps just a counterweight system that keeps most of the cord out of the way.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The Model S cable is so much thinner and lighter doing something like this picture above should be much easier too.

5. donauker

donauker Member

I currently have a dual counterweight system for my two chargers. I will need to add a third one upon arrival of the Model S. Roadster connector is retracted next to right door opener.

Slide 25.JPG

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'd be very careful that the cable does not overheat. When you're running a cable at full power it needs a way to dissipate the heat generated, and coiling it up would significantly hinder that.

7. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Just realized, the retractable coil wouldn't work unless you cut your UMC cable after the electronics box and spliced the cable through the hose reel. Either that or you'll have to make a very short UMC cable attached to the hose reel.

The counterweight seems to be the best bet.

8. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I'm definitely going to setup something like donauker has, but I need to see how long the cable is before I do it since I'm not sure how much room I have to play. My intent was a pulley type system that holds the charging cable. Sort of like these, put a couple on either side of the garage door to arch the cable from the wall well over the car (but below the garage door rails).
    1004805_PC3_A_400.jpg

9. RDoc

RDoc S85D

When I start getting set up for my X I'll do something similar, although I do think the coiled systems are a bit questionable due to heating. I plan on keeping it as open as possible and sized so it can't get down to the floor.

That retracting reel CKessel shows looks interesting, where did you get it?

10. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Googling for "retractable garage pulley" or some such :) I haven't bought it, but it's the sort of thing I had in mind.

11. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Try searching for the term 'tool balancer'.

12. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

13. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

I am using a retractable wire reel that is used for medical gas hosing. Once finished, I will post glossies.

14. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

Great feedback from everyone. Thanks. I found a reel that supports up to 55 amps but I think I like the counter weight/pulley option better. I will start searching for options and post info when I find out more.

15. contaygious

contaygious Member

16. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

That is the one I found too. It is very pricey. Also, based on heat issues due to coiling and need for conversion of plugs, I am leaning towards using a tool balancer as others have suggested. Here is a Google shopping search I used: tool balancer - Google Search

17. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

My plan is to walk into Home Depot or Lowes and describe what I'm looking for and let them lead me to it :)

18. contaygious

contaygious Member

K let me know which one you guys get! I'm not sure I can hang anything from my ceiling though because my heater vent runs above the nema outlet

19. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

You can always come up some sort of wall mounted boom arm if you can't ceiling mount for whatever reason. In fact if you create an articulating or swivel boom arm you could potentially charge in either direction (parking head first or backing into the garage).

Sample idea only:
    http://www.fumeavent.com/boom-arms/articulating/BAA-15.html

20. bbmertz

bbmertz Model S: P4909

The tool balancer looks like a good approach. I may go for simpler but much less elegant solution and install a hose rack on the wall of my garage to store/wrap the charging cable when not in use, such as the one shown in the link below:

Racor - Hose Rack - Racor Snap2It - SHR-1B