TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Retractable cord reel for the Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Francis Lau, Oct 1, 2012.

1. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

With my car likely arriving within a month, I'm back to looking at this. Did you finish the retractable reel setup? How is it working?

2. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

Car (theoretically) will be here next weekend (Dec 8) and then I will install the retractable hose spring. Hang tight, it is a' coming ....

It will be on my "story" thread in my signature line.

3. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

4. sublimaze1

Dude - chillax! (my daughter taught me that one) - Can't hang the cord til I get the cord.

Sheesh !!!

:cool:

5. byt

byt Member

Excuses! Excuses!! :D

6. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Would someone be willing to go weigh their cord? I want to install the tool balancer this week (car hopefully coming by this weekend), but I don't know how much it weighs so I'm not sure which tool balancer to get.

7. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

I can do it tomorrow. How do you want me to weight it? The entire cable and plugs?

8. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I'm sorry, I should have posted that a fellow TMCer PM'd me the answer. It's about 7 pounds, which was as ballpark as I needed to buy the right tool balancer.

FWIW, I couldn't find one locally (looked at Lowe's and Home Depot), so I ended up ordering online.

9. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

THANK YOU!! I have been looking for a while for a pull-down locking spring system, but didn't know what it was called! YESSS
    I am looking to do the same thing - hang the cord from the ceiling and pull it down when needed...

10. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

No problem, do you mind sharing what you ordered? Also, please share photos after installation since I want to do the same.

11. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Sure. It's at home, so I'll have to look, but basically it's a 4.5-8 lb tool balancer. Once I have my car and I have the balancer set up, I'll post a picture. Hopefully a week or so from now.

12. sublimaze1

Here's that thread (forgot I had posted).

I used this reel:

IMG_4798.JPG

but it turned out not to have ample weight utility and the hose - er, cord - simply drifted to the floor. So I will be interested to see what others have accomplished.

I am simply using a hood and draping the cord for now.

13. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

What was the rated weight for that one?

14. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

#34 ckessel, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    Here's what I ended up doing. The plug is in the ceiling, the tool balancer is near the charge port, and a simple hook is between them to keep the cord from dangling too far as it spans from the plug to the tool balancer. The tool balancer then retracts after I unplug it and mostly keeps it out of the way, but it still hangs down to about the 5' mark simply because the ceiling is only 7.5 or 8 feet high.
    P1110091.JPG

15. byt

byt Member

Well done! :)

16. Miuaiga

Miuaiga Member

17. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

I have a loft directly over where the car will be parked. A tool balancer would make charging a snap. I'm definitely going to look into this.