TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Retractable handle back plate (door cup) paint protection

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by clx, Apr 5, 2015.

1. clx

clx Member

Does anyone have paint protection film applied to the back plate that comes up behind the retractable handle? I'm referring to the area where a traditional car would call "door cup", see picture attached (the white plate that has the same color of the car door and recessed a bit into the door).

I'm wondering if it will start scratching up like traditional door cup as time goes by without paint protection film. Does anyone who had the car for over a year here have this issue?

Thanks!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428227706.532660.jpg

2. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

Well over two years and absolutely no issues, I think since it’s designed so when it’s extended it’s flush with the body and extended pretty far, you never hit the back plate with your fingers (at least I don’t) sample of one, I know.. but I think you should be fine.

3. clx

clx Member

Thanks for the info. Anyone else have issues with scratching the paint behind the handle? On every car that I've owned so far, all of them have scratches in the door cup (not only from driver side, but also from passenger sides as well)...